Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feeling YUK  (Read 4377 times)

holidaylover

Feeling YUK
« on: January 11, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »

Afternoon ladies,
Have been feeling really off the past few days.  Lightheaded, sore boobs and tender swollen armpits. General body aches and sort of a stingy under the skin feeling.  Light headache and bit of a soreish throat. All my joints feel stiff and sore.  A bit of a tickly cough sent me to
get a Covid test yesterday which has come back negative.  I have had all these symptoms flare up before and attended the local hosipital at a weekend on the advice of NHS24 about 18 months ago.  I'm sure I was given an antibiotic but cant really remember!  Phoned our local surgery which has taken all morning to get through and I have to wait a phone consultation 'sometime' tomorrow.  Do you think this sounds like some sort of infection?  Or hormonal? Am post menopause  (2yrs) although last week I felt a bit 'periody' but that passed. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling YUK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:44:53 PM »

Probably hormonal although swollen armpits do sound as though your body is fighting something.  Low oestrogen can also cause aches and pains.

Have you tried 'nurofen' or similar?  As well as plenty of hot drinks, I find Bovril in hot water with hot toast soothing.

holidaylover

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

Taking ibuprofen and drinking water thinking I might 'flush' something out!

Uptick

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »

Hi holidaylover, I have similar symptoms from time to time, I think it's an inflammatory reaction, to what exactly I have no idea. An autoimmune reaction perhaps. If ibuprofen helps it's possible that you have the same thing.

holidaylover

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:31 PM »

Yes Uptick Ibuprofen takes the edge off.  The stiff and painfully burning joints can just flair up overnight.  Who Knows?!!!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

If it wasn't for the sore boobs I'd say it sounds more like a bug. Maybe take it easy and treat the symptoms. You could ask the surgery to check what treatment you had last time.

Uptick

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 04:44:18 PM »

The key thing is that you had it before, so it does sound like a bug, but without an actual bug, which points to an immune reaction to something, it doesn't need to be something specific, but hormones usually play a big role, hence more women affected than men. I think 2 years postmenopause still counts as perimenopause (around menopause) so it's possible your own hormones are playing up (ovaries and adrenals).

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 04:47:47 PM »

Peri is considered the years when our periods wax and wane and some other symptoms may become bothersome.

Menopause is literally, the last monthly period; but bleeds can continue intermittently.  1 year without a bleed usually indicates that we are into menopause proper so don't need to think about periods although ovaries can kick in and cause some symptoms.  If 1 gets a bleed after 12 or more months without, a GPs advice should be sought.

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »

I do remember now that the Doctor as the hospital 18mths ago said it may have been connected to me having recently shaved my legs/armpits and that I should also stop using a deoderant for a while. Shaved my legs a couple of weeks ago so there may be a connection.  One thing I have just started to use when I come out of the bath (because my fav Johnsons baby powder is done) is Medipure Body Powder which was bought for a skin condition hubby developed.  (What a healthy couple we sound).  I did rub it under my armpits a couple of nights ago and onto my legs and bum!  Have looked at the ingredients and it contains Magnesium Stearate and menthol, camphor, etc.  I do remember a few years back when I was suffering tingly crawly sensations in my legs due to menopause that I tried a Magnesium spray which made my legs sting and burn. 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »

That may be the simple answer?  Aggravation of already dry skin?  Get some good hand cream on the areas, I find 'vaseline' in the yellow bottle fine, or 'Nivea' .........

Uptick

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »

I do remember now that the Doctor as the hospital 18mths ago said it may have been connected to me having recently shaved my legs/armpits and that I should also stop using a deoderant for a while. Shaved my legs a couple of weeks ago so there may be a connection.  One thing I have just started to use when I come out of the bath (because my fav Johnsons baby powder is done) is Medipure Body Powder which was bought for a skin condition hubby developed.  (What a healthy couple we sound).  I did rub it under my armpits a couple of nights ago and onto my legs and bum!  Have looked at the ingredients and it contains Magnesium Stearate and menthol, camphor, etc.  I do remember a few years back when I was suffering tingly crawly sensations in my legs due to menopause that I tried a Magnesium spray which made my legs sting and burn.

I don't think it's related, it wouldn't have caused the other symptoms. Why have you been given an antibiotic? How's you digestive system working?

holidaylover

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:14:29 AM »

Uptick, I cant remember but I think they maybe thought I had an infection from the razor I used, (if I remember at the time I had a bit of a painful rash on one side and thought shingles.)  I dont really know but when Doctor phones today I'll ask as I presume it'll be on my records.  Digestive system?  Always a bit iffy.  I have IBS and bloat very easily after foods, get fatigue, etc.  Been tested in the past for Celiac and negative.  Definately a bit of a wheat intolerance.

Uptick

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 12:24:24 PM »

Thanks, holidaylover. I have asked about digestive issues because I had similar symptoms and antibiotics have made things worse, not immediately though, months later. Many symptoms have gradually got better once I began to drink kefir. I think perimenopause and menopause can affect the gut microbiome and antibiotics add fuel to the fire. Kefir is really good to help with gut issues, which I believe now, is the source of many aberrant immune reactions, including general inflammation. Good luck with doctor's phone call.

holidaylover

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »

Doctor Update!
He has just called and considered all symptoms and thinks it is probably a virus.  He said there are lots going about.  Who knew?  He looked back my records to see what antibiotic I got when I presented with same symptoms in June 2109.  I was wrong, I had been given antihistimine!  Well it worked then so although he thinks virus, he is leaving me a prescription for antihistimines at my chemist.  I'm actually feeling a wee bit better today, no chills.  I'm still wondering if it was the body powder.  I also know food intolerances can throw out a hoard of symptoms so I think I might start making a food diary, just for my own benefit.   If I'm no better in 7 - 10 days I have to call him back and he will see me.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 01:41:29 PM »

Can't ask 4 better than that?

I had to take an antihistamine this morning as my mouth, lips, back of my nose, roof of my mouth have itched for several days and kept me awake in the night.  Eyes OK.  Deep in the ears OK. 
Pages: [1] 2 3