Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Femoston 2/10.  (Read 1090 times)

alibeau

Femoston 2/10.
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »

I am currently taking Femoston 2/10 but my peri meno symptoms are creeping back in.

I managed to book a call with a GP today (not the usual GP I would see for HRT).

Firstly she suggested switching to Premique which I thought was for post menopause (with no bleed?) and probably not what I should switch to? I am 48 and peri.....

She then called me back to say there was no point in switching to Premique as it had the same does of Oestrogen as Femoston 2/10.

She said that she could not offer me any other alternatives at the moment due to the pandemic as all other alternatives involve having a coil fitted which they are unable to do at the moment due to 2 staff retiring and the pandemic.

When I mentioned my usual GP's name she said I could arrange a call with her to see if she had any further ideas.

Would anyone be able to offer and ideas on what if anything I can ask for or is all of the information I have been given above correct?  I did not realise that if I switch from Femoston 2/10 I would have to have a coil fitted?

Thanks.

Ali x

Hurdity

Re: Femoston 2/10.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »

Oh dear!

Your doc is wrong in pretty much everything she said!

1 You are right that Premique is for post-menopause so unless you are 54 and have been using HRT for say a year or more, then it's not appropriate to switch to conti HRT unless she has suggested a trial to test whether you are post-meno. Even so you can stay on cyclical HRT if you want to.

2 The oestrogen in premique is completely different from that in Femoston. Premique contains the horse oestrogens and is a mix of oestrogens, stronger than our own oestrogen. Femoston contains estradiol which is bio-identical with oestrogen our body produces. In addition Premique is only available as low dose whereas Femoston 2/10 is medium dose.

3 There are several alternatives to the Mirena coil. If you go to the menu and look at the HRT options you will find them. There are other combi tablets: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php although all at the same dose of oestrogen. However  you can take oestrogen separately from the progestogen - oestrogen in the form of tablet, patch or gel, and progestogen as Provera tablets or utrogestan capsules (bio-identical progesterone). These are listed in the same section of the menu. Also depending on your age you might be able to get the Mirena fitted (should you want one) at a family planning clinic or whatever they're called now!

Hope this helps and do ask again if you need any further info :)

Hurdity x

alibeau

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:29:29 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity  :thankyou:

I suspected as much, she was very pleasant but didn't seem very confident in her statements.

I will put a call into the practice to see if I can schedule a call with my preferred HRT GP.

I don't fancy the coil to be honest and being 'only' 48 I didn't think conti was appropriate for me.

Thanks again, I'll follow your link and do a bit more research, I may well be back with more questions!

Appreciate your reply.

Ali x

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »

So I have checked out that link and read up on treatments but wondered if anyone could offer a little more advice please.

I don't mind switching to patches, equally happy to stick with oral, the thing I am most eager for is a smooth a transition as possible to whatever I switch to...

Would anyone be able to advise what their best plan would be in stepping up from Femsoton 2/10? How does one determine what would be the best dose/product to try?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I don't have a great deal of confidence that I will get the right advice from my GP surgery and would like to go armed with 'my requirements' and a better understanding of what I need rather than get the wrong advice.... iyswim...

Thanks so much.

Ali x

alibeau

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »

Just bumping this in case anyone has any advice.

Thanks.

alibeau

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »

So I could not get an appointment with my preferred GP but have a telephone appointment with the practice nurse who does usually carrys out HRT reviews....

I'll keep everything crossed that she is super knowledgeable on the subject!

Any thoughts/advice on which products I should be asking for would be appreciated.

Ali x

Lamplighter

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »

Hi Alibeau, wish I did have some advice or info to help you, but don't know much about non continuous HRT products or products for Peri for that matter.

Did want to wish you all the best with your phone consultation though, and hope it goes well for you.

LL

alibeau

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »

Thank you LL  :foryou:

alibeau

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 08:33:34 PM »

So I have a telephone appointment with the practice nurse in the morning.

Any ideas on the best product to switch to from Femoston 2/10 for the smoothest transition?

Patches, gel?

Anyone?

Thank you x