Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: To take a sleeping pill.....or not to take one - that is my question!  (Read 1439 times)

Padine

I have always had trouble sleeping then was prescribed Amitriptyline for my back and anxiety, the drowsy side effect was brilliant and I was a happy bunny  :hug: Change of amitriptyline to its cousin Nortriptyline, sleeplessness back with a vengeance! I've taken various diphenhydramine pills  (Nytol, Sleep Aid, Sleepeasy..............) and know I'm not to take any more. I ran out last week, cant buy from local chemist as they are VERY fussy about mixing prescribed meds with OTC ones, so it's non-sleeping misery unless we go somewhere else - in these COVID days?  :sick02: I don't think so. My GP has prescribed Zopiclone 3 times over the years but that doesn't make a long term difference.
     I do remember buying melatonin, from a herbalist where we used to live. All perfectly legal and they worked brilliantly, but can't find this at all now. The herbalist is retired and practice closed.
Any ideas? What is 5-HTP and is it effective?

My only answer now seems to be to stay up for as long as I'm awake, as I'm bound to need to sleep eventually!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: To take a sleeping pill.....or not to take one - that is my question!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »

Hi! lack of sleep is the pits!!  I had years of it.

Do you have a routine in the evening?  I find a warm bath, good book and cuppa helps.  On those nights that I don't sleep I read ....... I am able to catch up in the day too, usually when I've been looking forwards to something on TV!   ::)

I have found that tensing and relaxing the muscle groups from feet upwards can refocus the mind.  As can deep breathing which takes practice  ::)

1 pill occasionally may help get into a routine.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 02:03:19 PM »

I don't think you can buy melatonin in the UK but you can get it from online sites in the USA. I looked into it but didn't try it.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »

MayB take regular Vitamin D too as the days are so dull right now!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 08:27:24 AM »

Not being able to sleep is so debilitating. Do you have problems falling asleep or is it that you fall asleep but then wake up again a short time after? Good advice from CLKD re a pre-bedtime routine.

I don't go to bed until I feel really sleepy (usually around 1 a.m.) which works fairly well for me nowadays. I get around five hours -waking a few times briefly - and this seems to be my natural sleep need.

Can you change back to amitriptyline?

Taz x

Penguin99

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 11:43:41 PM »

Hi, I'm having terrible trouble sleeping, because I can't get comfortable from surgery. I tried amitriptyline,  no good at all, I have now been given neurontin,  make me a little tired but not much improvement,  I take codeine for pain relief and have morphine on stand by. I've been asking my d9c for months for sleeping tablets but he won't give them, speaking to him on Friday so will be asking again.
Same as you, I've tried nytol, karma etc, nothing helps. I sympathise & hope you get it sorted soon.

Padine

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 04:02:07 PM »

I think I've found a solution: Cosmic Calm. I know, sounds a bit gimmicky but I looked on Amazon for "4+5 * reviews"  herbal remedies and came across this one. It was £17 or so for 90, and the info on the pills was good (I'm not easily taken in I like to think). I think one pricey herbal remedy is worth a go, as the cheaper ones are such waste of money.
Anyway, night one I took 3 (it says take 1 and build up daily to 3 but I'm too impatient and at worse it would make me go to the loo, not a bad thing right now  :yipi:) Night one was no better but! I did feel calmer day after and less worried and after 3 doses of 3 I am sleeping better. I do hope this better + calmer mood continues and I will continue to buy from this family firm. They offer a free bottle if you leave a review after 3 weeks so great treatment of customers too is a good thing!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »

What's in the bottle; ingredients? ;  beware of the genie  ;D.  Many years ago I tried valerian  -  made not a jot of difference  ::)