Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Eye pain  (Read 1899 times)

Lalb1

Eye pain
« on: December 25, 2020, 10:38:18 PM »

For the last 3 months I've been under the eye clinic for issues with my left eye that came about after high BP when out on HRT.
I've been back and to the hospital and my vision is slowly improving in the affected eye.
However I've also been given cerazette to start back onto to see if it'll help control my erratic periods and some ovulation symptoms.
I've notice dprevious to all this with my poorly eye I'd always get sore achy eyes at certain times in the month. Now I'm more aware of it and have pinpointed it to ovulation and the day or so before or the day I get a period. This feeling in my eyes is like intense dry eye pain. I've mentioned it at the Eye clinic and all they did was look and say my good eye looks OK. But it wasn't at the time it was aching and hurting.
I get a weird like pressure pain behind both eyes, and they feel like they have grit in them, they also feel achy. It hurts above my eyebrow a little too. I'm currently using steroid eye drops and pressure drops in my poorly eye, have just started using hycos San extra drops in my good eye to see if it helps.
Does anyone else get sore achy spiky eyes before a period or round ovulation?
I read that it's to do with a drop in estrogen? Does anyone know if this is true? Could the fact I'm on cerazette (progesterone only) pill be making this worse if my bodies not getting any extra estrogen!?
I've also developed bad neck pain the days between ovulation and a period showing up. Makes my neck and face ache. Which doesn't help my eyes either.
I'm still waiting for the doctor to see if they will let me go back onto some other type of HRT after the Femoston tablet caused all the issues.
Really do hope someone can help answer my questions. I'm fed up of feeling rubbish.
Today just topped it off. Woke up with blurry vision achy eyes and another period! Only had 1 on the 5th of this month 😭

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Eye pain
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »

Hormones  >:( ......... lack of oestrogen can cause generalised aches and pains so why not affect the eye sockets etc.; my eyes feel gritty often.  How's the pain this morning?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »

Are your erratic periods a meno symptom or have you always had them? Assuming you're in peri I don't see the point of adding progesterone, it's oestrogen deficiency you're suffering from. If you want contraception too you could try a mirena but imo you need oestrogen too. Muscles and joints can hurt because of oestrogen deficiency, I haven't heard of it effecting the eyes specifically but probably no reason why it wouldn't. I would suggest you ask for hrt, it's designed to help meno whereas BCPs aren't. Most BCPs use progesterone, there are 2 that Hurdity mentions that use oestrogen too, zoely and qlara I think.

Lalb1

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »

Hi CLKD
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. Do you think that the lack of estrogen is to blame for the neck stiffness and pain too? I always had aches and pains before all this madness but I was on microgygnon and I guess this helped to give me a bit of both estrogen and progesterone?

I just feel yuck and because the doc is still unsure about putting me onto another HRT due to the migraine and high BP I had on the last one I'm worried I'm gonna have to try and do this without anyrhing but I just feel so rubbish.
My eye aches aren't too bad this morning. I have managed to dose my good eye with a few drops of the hyco San and it seems to be helping. My vision is still rubbish and my neck is still achy but not like yesterday thankfully.

Sheila99
My erratic periods have come about over the last year, they have always been odd but was on and off bc and now they are all over.
The doc have me the progesterone as contraception but said it may help with symptoms? It hasn't. I was previously on microgygnon and that sort of helped but it caused headaches. Hence why was taken off.
I'm still awaiting the doc allowing some form of HRT, due to the issue I had previously she's unsure.
I need to ask about having something that's going to help as I can't keep feeling like this.
I genuinely feel like I'm 96 today and not 46! 😣

Thankyou for your replies ladies 🤗

Uptick

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »

Hi Lalb1, oestrogen fluctuations may trigger migraines and migraines can often change patterns around menopause. Maybe the eye issue is just another migraine symptom, same thing happened to me in perimenopause, vanished after menopause. I hope you can find an HRT that suits you.

Lalb1

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »

Hi Uptick,
I used to have migraines a lot years ago and then they went away. Had them on and off over the last few years but they got progressively worse this last year. Then when I had them while on the Femoston HRT they were horrendous.

I did wonder if the eye pain is a type of migraine but somehow without the headache? Is that's thing? Would that also help explain the neck pain maybe?

I just hate feeling rough, I'm due back at work mid January after being off since mid Oct and I'm already panicking that I'm not gonna feel well enough with these symptoms. I just wish the doc would suggest something that's going to help. I know its different for everyone 😒

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »

As long as high BP is controlled you can still use hrt. I'm pretty sure it says so in the NICE guidelines or on the nhs website if you need back up. Or you could ask for a referral to a menopause clinic if your gp doesn't feeling confident treating you. What were you on before? If it was oral I would try transdermal.

Uptick

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 04:39:32 PM »

Yes, I think people who have migraines are always going to have them, albeit they can transform into chronic headache, change patterns or have different presentations. Hormonal fluctuation is a common migraine trigger or sometimes it can alter migraine presentation. Perimenopause symptoms and migraines are intertwined, it's hard to know which one is causing what, my own experience is that once the fluctuations calm down you have a high chance of getting rid of the worst symptoms. One interesting thing about migraine is that many people find they get better once they resume work activities, particularly the workaholics, so I hope you'll feel much better when you start working again. Have you ever tried any of the new generation migraine meds?

Lalb1

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »

Sheila99
I was on Femoston 2/10 tablets and cerazette when the high BP and migraines became so bad.
So am I best asking for gel or the patch?

Uptick
My headaches had definitely changed over the years. My migraines became a lot more painful and seemed to be more intense.
I've been prescribed sumatriptan and naproxen for the migraines. I haven't had a bad enough 1 that I've had to use them. I have had headaches but not to the extent if had while on the Femoston.

Uptick

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »

Hi Lalb1, I really hope your eye issues will improve once the hormonal storm is over. If the steroid and pressure drops aren't helping I suppose it could be a migraine symptom and maybe you could try sumatriptan to see if it helps.