Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 729094 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #735 on: March 03, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »

Hi cbj2605
I think it is widely accepted that oestrogen is the best treatment for reducing flushes etc. and protecting bones and heart.  Progesterone is actually the hormone that many of us have difficulty with (negative side effects) so taking this on it's own is not ideal.  I suspect you have been reading about Utrogestan (micronised bio identical progesterone) which is used in conjunction with oestrogen to ensure the womb lining is kept thin when treating meno symptoms - one wouldn't take this on it's own unless you are still producing plenty of oestrogen yourself. Progesterone on it's own wouldn't be any safer than other HRT combinations. You can certainly get Utrogestan on the NHS from your GP but you might need to print off the info from this site as many GPs are not up to speed about this.  Here is the section on this site that explains about micronised progesterone : http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
Alongside the Utrogestan one would use a daily dose of oestrogen as either pills, patches or gel as this would reduce meno symptoms and protect your bones and heart.
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.   DG x

Ciscola

« Reply #736 on: March 17, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »

I had a ceiling fan installed in the bedroom. My god, what a help that has been for the last 10 years. I even had it on in the winter. My other half has had to snuggle up under the duvet. But fair enough. I have to put up with the snoring, lol.

Twiggy58

« Reply #737 on: May 03, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »

I was on Hrt for 6years, came off them in February. been suffering with hot flushes and mood swings. Feel total drained as not sleeping well. just have bedroom window wide open and drink plenty of water.
having about 6 hot flushes during the day and at night 2 to 3. Feel rubbish

Dancinggirl

« Reply #738 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »

Oh Twiggy58 - do start your own thread to get more support about this.  Why did you come off HRT?  DG x

Olyd

« Reply #739 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »

I have recently turned 50 (22 April) and about 2 weeks ago, I had a severe unexplained headache, which lasted for more than 2 day even after taking strong pain killers. Last night was horrible. I could hardly sleep. I started sweating and felt so weak. I couldn't wake up in the morning and while I slept again, It seems I fell into some deep sleep and had a terrible dream. In the dream, I became so sick, and could hardly move. I had my periods but for days, had no way of cleaning up. I woke up exhausted and then in the confusion of the symptoms of my dream and last night's experiences became even more anxious.  That is the main reason I started searching for others experiences and how they managed to go through it. I am glad I found this forum. And here I am, feeling a lot much better in the sense that I am not alone, and that it is not some incurable disease but also in a way scared about how I would manage it I happen to be among those with severe symptoms. Last night was severe.  :'( :'( :'(
But all in all, I have been immensely helped and my husband has somewhat understood what he couldn't this morning. He asked me how he could be of help and I emailed him the information on how husbands can help. I a glad I found this forum. I have sent a link to my female colleagues (all doctors, they had advised me to think young on telling them that old age seems to have set in). I am sure it will he helpful to them as well, as they are nearing this era. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!! I hope to do so when I find out what works for me :) :) 

Taz2

« Reply #740 on: May 03, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »

Hi Olyd

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Audreyhaffenden

« Reply #741 on: May 08, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »

Hot flushes  and nights sweats are awful.

The night sweats are happening to me every night now and causing me very disturbed sleep.

The hot flushes are making me feel obviously hot, but flustered and panicky.

I took up running just over a year ago and am now managing to run half marathons, running up til recently seemed to help me clear my brain fog and lethargy. I've had a few bad runs the last couple of weeks , yesterday I went running with my husband in the morning as normal and the hot flushes kept coming and making me feel flustered and sweat was pouring out of me like never before . I couldn't see clearly as it was in my eyes .  By about three miles into our run we had to stop as I felt a little dizzy. I drank some water and carried on. I'm doing the Edinburgh half marathon at the end of this month and started to get all panicky and worried about if it happened then. Suddenly I couldn't breath properly and got all upset, had to stop and burst into tears. My poor hubby didn't quite know what to make of it all and asked me not to run on my own without my phone or in the countryside (which we do) on my own for a while. He has asked me to run less miles for a while and not to push myself so hard. Which seems sensible doesn't it ??  The problem is that I started running to keep my weight off (I lost six stone 2014/2015) and the sense of achievement has made me really happy and proud of myself. Now I'm struggling with eating ( craving everything) and if I'm not able to do my running (esp 1/2marathons) I'm just going to feel a failure.
I'm already worried and losing my confidence due to the hot flashes, panicking and memory loss . Running and losing weight were my success things, I don't want to lose them.
I've just started taking Clonedine 25mg and evening primrose oil, b12 and zinc I just hope they help. Thanks for listening xx

Braveheart

« Reply #742 on: May 16, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »

I have just turned 53 and have had 6 weeks of hot flushes every hour or so, dripping with sweat and being woken up about 5 times during the night with them. I had regular periods until March so its all a bit sudden and shocking.  I read up about natural remedies and tried Sage (400mg), also on the recommendation of six other people who had used it on the suppliers web site.  It is one week later and my flushes have reduced to about two or three a day with no sweating at all and barely any heat.  I notice them but they are much better. Fantastic. Actually I had no faith it at all so I really can't believe it. Apparently it is a mild phytoestrogen.   

I started getting terrible headaches when the sweating was bad so I was drinking water constantly and they went away.  You have to drink loads to replace all that sweat I think. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:39:24 PM by Braveheart »

Jessicaponies

« Reply #743 on: July 12, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »

I haven't tried any medication but I just drink plenty of water (minus side is that I have to pee a lot), if I have a bad night sweat I just go under the shower

Taz2

« Reply #744 on: July 13, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »

I have just turned 53 and have had 6 weeks of hot flushes every hour or so, dripping with sweat and being woken up about 5 times during the night with them. I had regular periods until March so its all a bit sudden and shocking.  I read up about natural remedies and tried Sage (400mg), also on the recommendation of six other people who had used it on the suppliers web site.  It is one week later and my flushes have reduced to about two or three a day with no sweating at all and barely any heat.  I notice them but they are much better. Fantastic. Actually I had no faith it at all so I really can't believe it. Apparently it is a mild phytoestrogen.   

I started getting terrible headaches when the sweating was bad so I was drinking water constantly and they went away.  You have to drink loads to replace all that sweat I think.

Welcome Braveheart - your first post seems to have been missed by us.

CreamTeaGirl

« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »

I am 53, 2 years post meno, and have been suffering increased meno symptoms for the last 18 months including soggy night sweats/daytime hot flushes etc. I'm not on HRT, only AD's for anxiety, and left my job in January due to stress/sleepless nights etc.

The overwhelming flushes/night sweats have subsided since leaving my job (stress-related?), so sleep has improved but is still disturbed  :-\, however, since using a large 'cool gel pad' under my pillow at night, things are soooo much better! I wake up (mind whirring and warm!), slip my hand straight under my pillow, and position my neck and wrist on the pad, which instantly cools me down. If I'm really hot, I stick it across my tum for a few minutes, but I sometimes rapidly get too cold!

I'd recommend the pad to anyone, as they're not too expensive (£7 - £20) and widely available.

Hope this might be helpful info.

Taz2

« Reply #746 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »

Hi CreamTeaGirl. Thanks for the tip. Sorry that you are suffering from increased meno symptoms. This can happen as your oestrogen level gradually lowers. Have you considered HRT?

CreamTeaGirl

« Reply #747 on: July 17, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »

Hi Taz

Did approach Dr re HRT, but he was reluctant to prescribe it, saying symptoms return when you come off it :P. Am trying to manage anxiety with AD's (Citalopram 10mg), but start a new part-time job this week after 6 months off, so will have to see how it goes!

Have to say this website has been a great help as, like so many others, I had no idea just how much menopause affects so many aspects of life, and now makes a lot of sense of what I went through in peri. I really think we should be told about all this, and have started a meno 'diary' for my daughter so she'll be fully aware of the joys that lie ahead!

CTG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »

Hi CreamTeaGirl - Your GP should not deny you HRT on the grounds the symptoms will come back. He should not have given ADs instead of HRT but some women do need an ADs alongside HRT. Quality of life is important and if you need to work then HRT may control flushes etc so will enable you to work well.
The new guidelines do recommend HRT as the first line of treatment so I would go back and insist you try HRT.
I have used HRT for many years and have taken breaks at various times - symptoms don't necessarily return at the same level and in fact if you come off at a quieter time in your life it is easier to cope and symptoms will possibly subside over a shorter time. DG x

CreamTeaGirl

« Reply #749 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:40 AM »

Thank you for your helpful thoughts Dancinggirl. I've been avidly reading threads re the pros & cons of HRT, and have an appointment with a GP on Mon (as anxiety is now back with a vengeance!), so will bring up the subject yet again because I'd prefer to be able to hold down a job, rather than feeling unable to cope with work as I do now, and HRT might just help.

As you say, quality of life is important....

CTG x
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54