Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 729075 times)

Meg

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #555 on: February 22, 2012, 02:01:30 AM »

Susan, I wholeheartedly agree.  The menopause symptoms are caused by the alteration in hormones.  Many women suffer very badly with physical and mental symptoms which they did not encounter in earlier years.  The sweating and the associated symptoms of eg panic, nausea, claustrophobia that accompany them are caused by the brains response to the alteration in hormone levels. The symptoms are very real and trying to talk yourself through them or relax into them can be well nigh impossible.  Articles in The Mail can sometimes make me really angry.

Meg

wombat62

« Reply #556 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »

Hi

I read this article and the only way I could see it could help is in knowing that when weird things happen its because of the lack of oestrogen and not to panic even more!  I've had a lot of fluttering recently and the last couple of days tingling around my lips but knowing that it's down to waiting for the HRT to kick in again means I'm not panicking because I know what's causing it! 

However, like with most of these articles is the responses and comments - some people are just so horrible and evidently have no idea what the blasted things are like!  Case of I'm alright so stop whinging and get on with it!  one woman who described herself as early retired and living in Spain was like this, well lucky you to be so fortunate to be retired and not to have had the dreaded flushes!!  Many ladies are having to work, look after kids, parents etc on no sleep. 

If it was just a hot flush it wouldn't be so bad but we know that sometimes they are accompanied by feeling queasy, the palps etc so I bet most people don't know about all that other stuff that comes with them!

Maybe if we all had the luxury of lying around all day meditating (under a fan lol!) it might help with them but who's able to do that? :)

wombat62

« Reply #557 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

mrs p you kind of hit the nail in the head, the more busy and stressed we are the worse the flushes get?  I know when mine were behaving themselves it was either getting stressy or doing something heavy physically would cause the occasional one. 

Soooo, maybe are they worse for our generation as probably the majority are still working and raising families as women leave it later to start families?  I think our generation maybe have so much more to cope with and then some are having to look after parents as well.  We had hoped when we moved to Oz to start to take it easy but thanks to the cost of living being so horrendous here and being stuffed up by a weakening pound exchange rate we are now working harder and longer hours than we did in the UK! 

Im lucky in that I work for myself at home so if I get a bad night at least I don't have to be all perky in the office the next morning, however, the main part of the job is long hours and on feet all day with no chance of resting so I dread having a bad night before on of those work days.

Well I had better get to bed, at the moment I dread going because I'm sleeping so bad at the moment.  I was sleeping beautifully before the doc pulled me off the hrt, now that's turned into a vicious circle!!!

Just started the nightly flushes, so here we go again! So over it as they say!!!!

wombat62

« Reply #558 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:52 AM »

Hi Susan

I did sleep better last night - yay!  Only had the one major stirring, hot and needing the loo as usual but then slept in...wish I could bounce out of bed in the mornings, but I couldn't do that when I was younger so guess I'm not going to start now!

Doc pulled me off the hrt when the post meno period appeared.  I had hoped that things had settled down naturally as I was down to half a patch but as Bette had warned me having had the oestrogen surge which caused the period then probably the stress of all the investigations wiped out any excess oestrogen and after 3 weeks the symptoms had kicked in big time.  So, I tried half a patch for a week which had no effect so back to full patches until I can get on an even keel again and then I'll try cutting them down again.  It's so annoying as I had been feeling really good for a few months and apart from the pms before the period I was feeling really, really good that week!  Oestrogen is a miracle, should be bottled and sold .... ha ha!

I will have been on it 2 years in Oct so I'm hoping I can continue if I've got back down to the lowest dose possible to keep me ticking over.  My main concern is that because I'm only just turning 50 I don't want the lack of oestrogen to cause other health issues....plus I don't want to get old too quickly lol!  I'm fortunate in that I don't look my age (or so people say) so I'd like to keep it that way!  If I can keep on it for the next few years then hopefully I'll get some other businesses off the ground which don't have such physical or long hours!

Anyway, to cheer ourselves up my dear old friend in the UK were discussing the meno the other night and she had been watching Bondi Rescue and commenting about all the hunks, I said Bondi was usually wall to wall surfer dudes but at our age we look but they don't look back....we laughed!!

Janie G

« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »

I have just found this forum and i just didn't realise so many women were suffering like me with hot flushes.
When i first started to have the flushes i went to see my GP. She did a blood test and said that i was having a Sudden Onset Menopause, meaning there was no easing into it. This was the reason i went from completely normal one day to thinking i was really severly ill. I cant take HRT because of breast cancer in my immediate family. I take Menopace night, Soy isoflavines, Primrose oil, Flaxeed oil. Finally i gave in went back to another GP and he gave me a low dose Blood pressure tablet. This worked slightly in the daytime or maybe i imagined it 20 flushes instead of 25. So i went back and he has referred me to a Menopause Clinic. I haven't been yet and was wondering if anyone has experience of being to one. I am going to order some Starflower Oil after reading this forum.
 I have a fan in every room i think i am going to blow away  :-\ .

Bette

« Reply #560 on: March 29, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

Hi Janie
 :welcomemm:
Hopefully the meno clinic will be able to help you; many of our ladies have found them to be great.  ;) When is your appointment?
Meantime, you might find some other ideas in the "Alternative Therapies" and "Alternative Techniques" section of the menu on the left.
Bette x

SushiFee

« Reply #561 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »

Hi SushiFee - welcome to the forum.

I don't want to cast doubt on the fact that you have got through menopause but if you have only just stopped your periods then it is a bit early to celebrate. Some women find that their hot flushes stop when a period is due. You have only missed two periods and it is quite usual to stop for up to six or seven months before starting again. Let us know what happens - it will be wonderful if this really is the end of the menopause for you.
Have a good look around the site - there is loads of information on here.

Taz  :welcomemm:

You were right! My periods started again 3 months later and I'm still having them as regular as they always were (28days). However, I'm not getting any other symptons but at 52 (53 in July) I want the periods to finish! I don't take any supplements and feel as fit and healthy although my bones ache a bit more after exercise than they used to, but that's about all.

Taz2

« Reply #562 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »

Thanks for letting us know how you are getting on! Don't wish your periods away - it is these that are keeping more symptoms at bay! Although they can be a nuisance they do keep you "young".

Taz x

Robyn

« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2012, 04:26:28 AM »

You were right! My periods started again 3 months later and I'm still having them as regular as they always were (28days). However, I'm not getting any other symptons but at 52 (53 in July) I want the periods to finish! I don't take any supplements and feel as fit and healthy although my bones ache a bit more after exercise than they used to, but that's about all.

Oh geez - I agree with Taz. Please don't wish for your periods to end. Hope and pray that your periods last until the day you die, because once your periods stop that could be the start of a lot of problems.

I used to naively wish for my periods to end. They were never a problem to me, just a minor annoyance, but in June 2010 they did stop, and three months later all my problems started. To this day I am still struggling from one treatment to the next trying to find the right one. So every time your period arrives have a little private celebration. Welcome your periods for as long as you can.

marielove63

Re: Uncontrolled hot flushes
« Reply #564 on: July 04, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »

Could anyone please help me? I am having serious Hot flushes, despite seeing a Professor at a Monopause clinic @ Guys Hospital, in actual fact they are getting worse, nothing helps, I am on HRT, venlafexine, I avoid all the  other things alcohol, caffiene etc, NOTHING works, I cannot do any exercise, not even a 5 minute wlak without being absolutely drenched in sweat! it is making me utterly miserable as I love walking, and I am constantly drenched in sweat. I have just b een tested for phoechromocytoma, which was negative, I am at my whits end, surely I don't have to put up with this for the rest of my life???? Please HELP

archie1

« Reply #565 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »

:D
Hi
this is my first time posting here. I have been suffering unbearable night sweats and frequent hot flushes during the day. I have tried 2 types of HRT.....Elleste Duet and Prempak C, both had terrible sideeffects and I could only tolerate them for 2 months but...the hot sweats went. In the end the side effects were unbearable and i stopped.
I have now been taking Tridestra for 3 days.......
Hot flushes gone and no side effects ...yet. Fingers crossed this is the one for me. I will keep you posted.

Taz2

« Reply #566 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »

Great to hear some good news Archie1  :welcomemm:

If you would like to introduce yourself under the New Members thread you will probably get more replies. Sometimes new members can get missed on existing threads.

You will find lots of support and friendship on here so have a good browse around and join in wherever you like!

Taz x

Anne B

« Reply #567 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Does anyone feel really nauseous with a headache and feel faint when they have hot flushes ?

Anne B

« Reply #568 on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »

Hi Mrs P
Not much fun this flushing lark. I've got a can of Magicool by my bed. It does help a bit. Hate going from really hot to horrible chills and not getting enough sleep.
Hopefully will improve soon.
Cheers
Anne B

Anne B

« Reply #569 on: July 15, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

We have to believe there is an end to it Mrs P or we would loose our marbles otherwise. The sooner the better though. Oh to feel human again!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54