Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 728750 times)

Hazymaiden

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

I was on Femoston 2mg before and yes, it suited me. I was taken off of the pill before when my migraines started to get worse and I was ok until I started to menopause at 39/40. I had a migraine about 6 weeks ago and between that one and the next 2 weeks later I had a thumping headache all the time. I wonder if I went back and went onto the 1mg tabs again, She did say that migraines were due to oestrogen building up. my brain is mush at the moment which doesn't help at all as I have started the 3rd part of my degree, I can't even form a sentence or think of words when I need them. Do I get on with it or go back, she says I need to have an HRT that makes me bleed as I am so young. My Nan menopaused at my age and I don't want to be like her, she was so osteoparitic, she was buried in a childs coffin. My GP says that evidence now shows that HRT doesn't protect your heart?? :-\
(just discovered that it affects my typing too ;))

silverlady

« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

Hazymaiden I am sure that estrogen does not build up in the brain, it can have an effect on the blood vessels though, it had a widening effect.There is a theory that migraines and headaches can be caused by fluctuating estrogen levels which effects the blood vessels, and I wonder if you might do better on patches.

Your doctor is a little out of date by saying that HRT does not protect the heart and if you read this it will explain current thinking

http://www.2womenshealth.com/27-HRT-Risks-and-Benefits/27-04-Hormone-Replacement-Therapy-HRT.htm
http://www.thebms.org.uk/newsitem.php?newsid=51

As there is osteosporosis in your family (this effects women even more the heart desease) I think you should go back to your doctor and discuss this.

silverlady x

Hurdity

« Reply #542 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »

Interesting link from the British Menopause Society - thanks for posting this silverlady I hadn't heard of them. Looks like there is some interesting info on there...
Hurdity x  :)

Taz2

« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

It is under the links on this site Hurdity - it is worth browsing through them - under "links" at the top of the page.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/links.php

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »

Thanks Taz I hadn't seen that either - I seem to have only ever looked at the menu on the left!
Lots more reading for me then....
Hurdity x  :)

Jillymoo

« Reply #545 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »

I think I'll try Starflower Oil then  :)

I've heard of it but can't say I've seen any in the shops....well,you tend not to if you're not looking of course! ::)

I'll try Holland and Barratts first.Do you put drops on your tongue like Rescue Remedy? What does it taste like?

xx

Bette

« Reply #546 on: February 16, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »

It comes in capsules like Evening Primrose Oil, Jillymoo. You can get it in Boots, supermarkets etc.
Bette x

Jillymoo

« Reply #547 on: February 16, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »

Thanks Bette  :)

I have just been reading about it online and I'm not sure I should try it though  :(
It mentions that sometimes it has an effect on bleeding in the body (it explained how it might possibly alter platelets/vessels or something) and right away I was put off because I had a haemhorrage stroke in 2010  :-\

I could check with my GP,but perhaps I'll just soldier on as I am.Yesterday seemed like one long flush ( a bit like how contractions come very close as labour progresses!) but today I've been fine so. . . .

Thanks for the help though  :)

xx

carrs

« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

I've just been reading the article in today's Daily Mail. It says counselling is the way to cope with flushes - after the counselling, your attitude to flushes will be more relaxed, so you will not take so much notice, then they will seem to diminish.
The Mail quoted an article in the journal Menopause
I have not read the journal, but it sounds interesting?

Bette

« Reply #549 on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »

Sorry but that is ROT! It might help some ladies but being relaxed about meno symptoms from hell does not make them easier to cope with if they're really bad. I had some counselling during my "peri meltdown" as I wanted to see if it would help with my anxiety, weepiness, low moods, sleeplessness etc. etc. It was good in that she helped me to be "kinder" to myself about the fact that I was ill but she then said that she was sure that I needed some kind of medical intervention. So the best thing she actually did for me was to convince me that I had to go to the gp and try HRT!
Sorry, I don't want to seem negative and I'm sure, as I said, that all these things help some ladies. But it worries me that this kind of article might give ladies the idea that it's all their fault, that they should be able to cope and that the only problem is their attitude and approach.
Bette x

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #550 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

Cognitive behavioural treatment for women who have menopausal symptoms after breast cancer treatment (MENOS 1): a randomised controlled trial
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(11)70364-3/abstract

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - Effective In Treating Menopause Symptoms
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/241727.php

Cognitive behavioural therapy helps menopause symptoms, study finds
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/15/cognitive-behaviour-therapy-menopause-symptoms

The doctors who think conquering hot flushes may be all in the mind
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2103946/The-doctors-think-conquering-hot-flushes-mind.html

changesbabe

« Reply #551 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:  Okay I will try to remain calm as I respond to this post but I am pre-menstrual so cant promise!  As a counsellor I am soooo fed up with being bombarded everywhere i go that CBT is the cure-all for every human condition out there.  I have clients who have come to me saying that they have heard of CBT and would this help them?  I am not a qualified CBT therapist by any means but I have over ten years experience of developing and faciitating CBT groups in the mental health project that i worked in so I can usually offer clients lots of what I know in terms of techniques.  However what helps and what helps people in groups is knowing that they are not alone and that what they are experiencing is ok - hope, reassurance and encouragement is usually what most people respond to.  CBT is great for certain conditions and certain types of people, however it requires a great amount of work - mostly in the form of keeping diaries, setting goals, catching your thoughts, recording your thoughts and then challenging your thoughts.  There is also a requirement for people look at their behaviour in CBT, record it and also to challenge it but setting yourself small goals.  This work requires a lot of energy and a lot of people by the time they get to asking for help are burnt out and at the end of their tether and do not have the energy to put into CBT.  I am sick of people being told that 'if only they could change their thinking' they would feel so much better - in some ways i see the truth in that but at certain times in a month that almost feels impossible to do - we women carry enough guilt that we don't need to be thinking that this is our fault either - grrrr!!!

I was surprised to see that most of the studies that Emma put up were carried out by women - i wonder if they will use CBT when they are going through the menopause? Mind you it would have been worse if the study had been carried out by men.  I also noticed that the studies I think (and I only scanned them) were carried out over a 9 week period - most women noted an improvement in their symptoms - well I am sorry but if you had asked me last week how I was I would have noted an improvement in my symptoms however this week I am  back to being a loon again.  In my opinion 9 weeks is not long enough to assess anyone's recovery!

Sorry rant over - I could go on but wont - I need to get ready to see a client at 5 pm.  What i think helps most people is information. HRT, exercise, diet, rest, acceptance, challenging, good friends, small steps, being kind to yourself, betablockers, AD's, counselling, CBT either one to one or group form - I don't think any one thing should be pushed as the bee all and end all for coping with the menopause! xxx

Bette

« Reply #552 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

Mental attitude does affect how we cope with things, but as for controlling something that has its root in the hypothalamus, well the jury's still out on that one in my opinion.
Exactly, Mrs P. And how well you manage to cope with symptoms can depend on how severe they are to start with. I'd love to know how bad the hot flushes of the ladies in the trial actually were. I have a friend whose flushes really are just that - she just gets a bit hot and red-faced. When you read on here about what some ladies go through, it's a completely different ball game.  :o
Bette x

denvon

« Reply #553 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »

can anyone tell me does hrt just keeps all your symtoms down even if you have been on it for years and then when you come off it you just go thought any way or does it ease everything.I know you get it back a bit when you come off it.
Thanks  :-\

I was on HRT for 8 years and since coming off it I am suffering so badly with hot sweats that I feel like I am going to pass out.  Hot sweats for around 3 minutes almost every hour followed by feeling really cold.  Not pleasant.  I wish I had never gone on HRT.

Bette

« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »

I doubt if being on HRT has made your present flushes worse, denvon.  :-\ Sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time now.  :hug:
Bette x
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54