Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54

Author Topic: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES  (Read 728705 times)

coffee mate

Re: Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES
« Reply #480 on: May 10, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »

Are they a bit like morning sickness?

coffee mate

« Reply #481 on: May 10, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »

;D Yeah it sounds just the way I saw my poor nan have them, she would be sitting talking to us, then all of a sudden we would watch her go beetroot red in front of our eyes, and she made us laugh as she would say "Ohh hang on a minute flush coming on"  ;D

jumpingju

« Reply #482 on: May 14, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »

:(I have been getting hot flushes for about a year now. So far they are not causing too much of a problem. The main ones are at night when I seem to be soaking wet all down my front but able to pull the covers on off on off and still manage to get enough sleep................depending if I'm having a deep sleep period or a can't get to sleep and intermittent sleep period and for the latter then it bothers me as I'm tired for days afterwards. I'm getting them more during the day but find instead of being cold blooded I can now go out without a coat and I'm not at all cold.  I haven't experienced the red flush across my face or neck yet and I hope I don't because I have NO confidence at all at the moment and that would just finish me off  :-\

ducky ducky

« Reply #483 on: May 23, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »

hi, last year i thought, hot flushes not too bad, keep me warm in the winter, ha how daft was I, now, through the night and all day,  dizzy, red hot, on fire, sweaty, awful, cant count how many a day, clothes on and off, i even go and stand in the chiller at work mmmm heaven. what im wondering is how long they ll go on for, i know everyones different but cant think of this for years, what a nightmare, im not taking anything for meno problems, just high blood pressure tablets, my sister s lasted for less than a year, but then she just stopped her periods and has had hardly any problems at all, (she even done a pregnancy test cos everything just stopped) lucky thing. just wondered what the average time was for flushes. thanks

Bette

« Reply #484 on: May 23, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

Hi ducky ducky
Have your periods stopped? As you say, it seems to be different for everyone but I think they say that symptoms (including flushes) increase for about 2 years after your last period and then gradually decrease again.
Bette x

ducky ducky

« Reply #485 on: May 23, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I had last period in November last year, and I have thought about HRT but am I right in thinking your periods return when your on it, and Ive even been told that when you stop taking it all the meno symptons return, is that right? I don t fancy that. I ve been trying to go through the meno without anything but I think the flushes are getting the better of me, sorry I m moaning now.

Bette

« Reply #486 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »

Nothing wrong with moaning, ducky ducky - we all need to sometimes and this is a great place to do it!  ;)
If it's less that a year since your last period, you would need to go on a sequi HRT which means that you would get a monthly bleed. You could then change to a conti (no-bleed) one when you're 54. As to the symptoms returning once you stop taking it, well the jury is out on that one. Some find that it happens, some don't.
I went for quality of life now - I'll worry about what happens when I come off it later! TBH, if I try coming off and still feel bad, I plan to stay on it forever but we'll see!  :D
Bette x

Laulie

« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »

Hello all, I've just found this website and reading all the posts has helped.  I am only 42 and started experiencing 20 - 25 flushes a day a year ago!  My doc thought I had cancer so after some major tests was so relieved it was only early menopause! I have two kids and the youngest was only 1 when my symptoms first started. again how lucky am I, if we'd left it any later I might not have had by gorgeous little boy.  :) Anyway, so what with pregnancy, breastfeeding, toddler sleep training and now menopause I haven't slept for 7 years! But if I feel down I get lovely cuddles from my littlies and I started a new creative business a year ago which keeps me really busy so at night I'm so shattered I'll get to sleep fine and usually now only wake 3/4 times a night. It helps that I also live in a drafty old Victorian house! I've recently taken up running, which is really helping too, not only giving a sense of achievement but much needed space on my own.  I don't drink caffeine (gave up 15 yrs ago) eat healthily but have found cutting down alcohol ( :() and spicy foods help.

Are there any other younger menopause starters out there?  None of my friends have any idea what I'm going through.  It would be good to talk....

Bette

« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »

Hi Laulie
 :welcomemm:
It would be worth you introducing yourself on "New Members" as newbies often get missed in the middle of existing threads and then more will be along to welcome you.  ;)
There are plenty of "younger ladies" on here and us "oldies" (I'm 51  ;D ) like to share it all too! Many of us have friends who are just "floating through" so it's great to come on here and chat with others who really understand.
Have you considered HRT? At your age it would only be replacing the hormones which your body should be producing naturally and would help to protect your heart and bones.
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »

What a lovely positive post - welcome to the forum Laulie. I agree with Bette - introduce yourself under New Members so that more can welcome you. I also agree with the fact the medical advice would be for you to use HRT until around 50 years of age. This will prevent osteoporosis and also protect the heart.

Taz x  :)

Blue

« Reply #490 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »

Layers of cotton, that can be taken off quickly and put back on when the cold shivers hit after.

I use  short sleeved tops with cardigans/ zipped fleeces/ body warmers in winter as these can be opened.

I have just put all my jumpers to charity shop. :) :)

chicken

« Reply #491 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

hi ladies,
Was recommended to join this forum by Jemima - so glad I did! What a relief to know other women are going through the same things I am! I am normal after all!!!

Biggest problems for me at the moment:

Night sweats
Crying out for a full nights sleep - really getting me down. Sick of buying new pillows every other week!

Itchy skin
Starts when I get into bed - usually the soles of my feet - so if its not he sweats keeping me awake - its the itchy skin!

Dry lifeless hair/dry skin/flaky nails
Just hate the way I look :(

Weight gain
Got to be one of the worst parts of all of this. So depressing to see it all pile on - when I don't eat any differently to how I did before :(

I was on Estrodot patches after my total hysterectomy in Jan '09 - but after a lot of family problems and bereavments - stopped using the patches and figured I should just get it over with now rather than delay the inevitable - but now not sure if this is the right thing to do?

Bette

« Reply #492 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »

Hi Chicken
 :welcomemm:
Hope you don't mind if I suggest that you introduce yourself on "New Members" as newbies often get missed in the middle of existing threads.  ;)
Sorry to hear about your family problems and bereavements  :hug: It might not be the best tiem to be trying to cope with meno symptoms too.  :-\ Can I ask how old you are? HRT is good for protecting your heart and bones as well as controlling symptoms and the jury is out on whether it "just delays the inevitable." Mind you, if that's the case I'm planning to use it to delay it forever! ::)
Lots of info in the Green Menu and support from lots of great ladies so browse around and join in. And do check out the "Funnies."  ;D
Bette x

chicken

« Reply #493 on: June 30, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

Hi Bette,
Thanks for the welcome  :) Will introduce myself on the new members bit  as you suggest.

I turned 50 in April but was showing symptoms for the last 4 years or so - resulting in having a full hysterectomy in jan 2009 after getting back to back periods.
I only took the patches from Jan to August 2009 - what with redundancy from work, my daughters wedding and my mum critically ill in hospital it all became too much to even remember to change the patches. Mum passed away 2 weeks after my daughters wedding in September and the rest is history. Only found my box of patches this week after clearing out a drawer in my bedroom. That's what made me think about starting them again.

Surprisingly my GP has never mentioned anything about me not asking for a repeat prescription! the other thing that annoyed me was they would only give me 1 month supply on each prescription - so it was getting costly too. Surely they could have given me three months at at a time? What did they think I was going to do? Stick them all over my body??? lol

I'm suffering badly from night sweats and itchy skin and haven't had a decent nights sleep in months as a result.

So glad I came on here - so many things to read - (will take me a while to get up speed on all the different subjects) but its reassuring to know I'm not alone.
Off to browse the green menu

Thank you for your support.
xxxx

Taz2

« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »

Hi Chicken - my HRT comes in one box which contains twelve patches - this is three months worth. Which type were you prescribed? Also, I think that GP's are aware that many women (myself included on one occasion) start an HRT but within a month give up due to the side effects and so the rest of the prescription is wasted. Either that or you have a particularly mean GP!

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54