Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 1122 times)

Bookworm51

• First Flush
Seeking advice
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:32:15 PM »

Hi, I called the doctor's this morning to ask for any advice on menopause symptoms to be told I'm only 51 and won't have finished going through menopause yet and will just have to "make the best of it."  I work in a department with only two women and I am the oldest by some way. I am struggling with mild but frequent hot flushes, arthritis, brain fog  and sudden bouts of panic with no help or support at all. I would just like some general advice and a sense that I am not alone and someone understands.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »

You are not alone but your GP obviously needs his/her head putting down the loo and the flush pulled   >:(

:welcomemm:  some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Nothing is 'only' or 'just' and 51 not old or young.  Some girls never menstruate and some have 1/2 periods, then nought.

Brain fog is common and anxiety can take over as hormones wax and wane.  How are your periods in general?

MayB decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  One doesn't 'go through menopause', we have perimenopause leading up to the final period. However, it can take 12+ months to decide that we've had the last period  ::)

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out  :o - skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina - we have threads about that 1: forewarned is forearmed ;-)

Join in. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »

Also have a lookC at your surgery web-site to see if there is a GP or Nurse Practitioner with an interest in womens' health.  If all else fails you can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic - not a gynaecologist as they often don't know much more than GPs seem to!

Bookworm51

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »

Hi, have had a couple of periods in the last few years. I went to the doctor's when it has been six months without one. I was told I go back when it has been two years without as I was under 50 at the time but I have not gone 12 months without one. It's as if there is no help or advice from my surgery unless you are officially post menopause. I just feel as if there is no one to talk to. My visits over the last 5 years have been with chronic indigestion, aching joints and memory problems but just been told that everything is age related.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

It is age related.  Menopausal age related  >:(  ::)

Why is it that GPs refuse to listen?  Budgets?  Ignorance? Lack of time ......... under 50 or any age makes no difference, the GP is negligent in not treating symptoms.  What were you given for the indigestion etc.?

Bookworm51

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »

I had a month's worth of omerprazole, now I just buy nexium  but generic brand.I also quit caffeine and fizzy drinks.

Bookworm51

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »

After years of blood tests being negative I had an X-Ray to diagnose arthritis, was told to take paracetamol and not been seen since. I try to do stretching exercises every morning and night to help that.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »

Arthritis is to be expected as we age particularly in weight bearing joints and rotator cuff movements, i.e. shoulders.  Frozen shoulder is common during menopause.

Do you have other surgeries in your area?  As well as a good Pharmacist for advice, they have private rooms these days.

Bookworm51

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 08:40:01 PM »

Difficult to see anyone in tier 3. My doctor's is closed and we have to call their partner surgery. Will try the pharmacy route though

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »

Why is your surgery closed, the NHS is according to Matt Hancock, open for business ?  :-\. Do try the pharmacy.