Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I’m new to this  (Read 1543 times)

Nugget

• First Flush
I’m new to this
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:03:43 PM »

Hi sorry if I ramble on but I’m new to this. Having looked at some posts already I’m beginning to think I’m not completely going insane!
I am 45 had a hysterectomy 5 years ago after years of endometriosis and poly cystic ovarian syndrome I can honestly say the uterine fibroids were the straw that broke the camels back. I was happy to go ahead with a total abdominal hysterectomy and was happy to be free of sometimes weeks of pain, anaemia, endless periods.....the list goes on and on.
I still have my ovaries as the doctors said removing them would bring on a surgical menopause and if left in place they would continue to function and I would go into a natural menopause when my body is ready.....
4 weeks post op I started to suffer with the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. Actual panic attacks so bad I was terrified of being left alone,  to being able to leave the house, along with night sweats, low mood, pain in just about every joint in my body.
Doctors prescribe sertraline, propanol and refered me to a cbt therapist which didn’t help at all. Changed track to citalopram and counselling still no improvement.....both therapists wanted to know what I was anxious about and what was causing these feeling of dread.....wish I knew myself because I’d be able to fix myself if I did.
After numerous anti depressants, beta blockers, pain killers, anti inflammatories, therapy and trips to see my gp, finally someone has listened and taken note that this all started to happen 4 weeks after my hysterectomy 5 years ago...finally I’ve been prescribed hrt gel and for the first time in 5 years I’m coping without anti depressants, pain killers, anti inflammatories and my nights are dry. It’s early days on the hrt but felt the difference within 2 days of starting it. I do mostly have good days now but have had the occasional wobble when I’ve woke up in the morning full of dread with my heart pounding in my ears not able to breathe is this normal? Do I need to contact my gp and ask for a review of my treatment or is it something that will eventually settle down?
One last question....when is it all going to end?

sheila99

Re: I’m new to this
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »

:welcomemm:
I'm glad it's working. You don't say how long you've been on hrt but my anxiety took 3 months to go completely. It might be that the dose needs to be tweaked but  I would give it the 3 months before reviewing it. The important thing is that you're improving.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »

Yes.  It is 'normal'.  Menopause might be 'normal' but it can throw up some real wobblies!

Do you sing?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

Hello Nugget and welcome to the forum.

It beggars belief that you had to wait five years before your symptoms were identified as the menopause.

It may be that you would benefit from an increase in gel, are you using the standard dose of two pumps per day? I think that is the starting point and many ladies feel they need more. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon. As for how long this all goes on for it's hard to say, I read somewhere that seven years is the average but of course we are all different.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies. I’m really struggling today, i’m Currently sat waiting for a telephone consultation with my gp. I’m so anxious, boiling hot on minute freezing cold the next, been having palpitations and very shaky.
I’ve been using sandrena 1g sachets for just over 3 months (one daily). My gp says it could be that my ovaries are still cycling and could have times when I’m like this.
Just so depressed with it, just when I think I’m winning against this this happens and knocks me side ways. Really don’t know how I can go on  :'(

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »

Yes.  It is 'normal'.  Menopause might be 'normal' but it can throw up some real wobblies!

Do you sing?

Yes I do....very badly 😆

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:44:03 PM »

Are you sure this is hrt related? Boiling then freezing sounds as though you have a temperature. Just wondering if you've picked up a virus?
Assuming your symptoms are long term rather than recent you may need a higher dose of oestrogen. I'm late peri am on double your dose (I think, I'm on oestrogel, but I think 1mg sandrena is equivalent to 2 pumps oestrogel or 50mg patch?). Peri is difficult but I don't think your hormone surges would give you these symptoms. Once my anxiety went it didn't return for a year when I needed more oestrogen due to declining ovaries.

There's one thing that's confusing me. You had you uterus removed but kept both ovaries? So unless it was coincidence I don't know why your symptoms would start a month after surgery? You'd expect that if your ovaries had been removed.

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »

The doctors said that due to decreased blood supply post hysterectomy ovaries can shrink and in some cases pack up working altogether. I’ve yet to get any real answers. I was told pre hysterectomy that blood test indicated that I was peri menopausal back then as I did have the odd night sweat and my moods were a bit swingy.....nothing anywhere near like what hit me after my op....just in the shower one morning and felt like I’d been hit by a freight train.
The anxiety palpitations and night sweats were the first thing to hit me and have been on going for years. I’ve had dozens of tests and was feeling on a pretty even keel but the past few days I feel like I’m back to square one. Thinking if I’m going to feel like this anyway is there any point in using hrt? Surely there has to be something else?

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »

Are you sure this is hrt related? Boiling then freezing sounds as though you have a temperature. Just wondering if you've picked up a virus?
Assuming your symptoms are long term rather than recent you may need a higher dose of oestrogen. I'm late peri am on double your dose (I think, I'm on oestrogel, but I think 1mg sandrena is equivalent to 2 pumps oestrogel or 50mg patch?). Peri is difficult but I don't think your hormone surges would give you these symptoms. Once my anxiety went it didn't return for a year when I needed more oestrogen due to declining ovaries.

There's one thing that's confusing me. You had you uterus removed but kept both ovaries? So unless it was coincidence I don't know why your symptoms would start a month after surgery? You'd expect that if your ovaries had been removed.

I’m not really knowledgable when it comes to hrt as the sandrena gel I’m on is the first time I’ve tried it. It is a sachet that comes in a box of 91 (which seems a bit of a random number) and it says 1g on the pack.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:19:52 PM by Nugget »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »

Heat changes may also be caused by a thyroid function problem.

Singing means that we breath correctly  ;) which may help with anxiety.  No one needs to hear you  8)

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 03:44:22 PM »

I will ask my gp if that could be a cause, still waiting for the call.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »

I find having a list by the 'phone ready to discuss helpful, otherwise my meno brain forgets most of what I want to say  ::)

Nugget

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »

Spoke to my gp, got to go in for blood tests next week, he’s thinking that maybe a change of hrt might be helpful....watch this space!

I also write lists....brain goes off on a tangent and I forget was I talking about or just about to do...it’s very odd.