Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety and paranoia  (Read 4368 times)

Curlywurlygurly

Anxiety and paranoia
« on: December 01, 2020, 04:28:23 PM »

Hi everyone, so I’ve just turned 50 and been in menopause/menopausal for around 18 months (whose counting!) I had a hysterectomy around 7 years ago. I have two adult daughters.
So I’m experiencing most of the “normal “ symptoms power surges etc and am riding the storm but what is slowly destroying me is the worsening paranoia and extreme anxiety. I had some success with hypnosis but it’s back with a vengeance.
I hate myself for the things I’ve been saying/ accusing my husband of, even feeling a compulsion to look at his phone(!!!) and I’m even convinced I need to leave to make everyone’s life easier.
This is not how I am, I’m normally the rational one who everyone turns too but honestly I’m at my wits end.
Please tell me this will pass because I really am struggling.
I believe it comes in waves (? My old menstrual cycle) and my GP is not really able to help aside from prescribing propranolol.

I’ve just read this back and even to me it seems awful.  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and paranoia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »

You feel awful because there's no respite for you.

Have you been diagnosed with paranoia?  There are specific medications to ease symptoms which you need to discuss with your GP or Practice Nurse.  You could also contact the MIND charity, I found them really supportive after a friend ended his Life.  It knocked me for 6.

Sit down and discuss your feelings with your husband.  It's easy to believe that we think as they do but often it ain't true!  I have guilt about things I've said to mine way back to 1991  :'( but he tells me that he doesn't remember  ::).  Don't put your feelings onto how your husband might be thinking!  Ask him.

Anxiety can be eased.  Propranolol stopped the early morning surges for me since 2002.  I was prescribed specific anti-anxiety medication too.  You may find that keeping a food/mood/symptom diary of use to chart symptoms.

:bighug:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »

Is there a reason you haven't considered hrt? Without a uterus you have no need for progesterone which is usually the difficult bit. Anxiety and insomnia were my worst symptoms, the anxiety has completely gone with hrt. I'm not sure about the paranoia as a meno symptom but it's a time of life when we start feeling old and less attractive so possibly it stems from that? IMO if your anxiety is caused by the oestrogen deficiency that comes with meno it's better to replace the oestrogen by hrt rather than using ad's.

Curlywurlygurly

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »

Thank you guys, it means a lot to have the support.

Curlywurlygurly

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »

Hi so in answer to the HRT question I’m just embarking on the oestrogen gel journey so fingers crossed.
I had been advised against anything else do to my hysterectomy (precancerous) so have been going it alone as it were. I do take a great multivitamin that has massively dampened down the sweats/flushes but it’s the psychological symptoms that plague me.

Grheliz1

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »

I found oestrogel dampened down my anxiety and also lifted my flat mood. I hope it works for your more extreme-sounding symptoms.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »

What support do you have for the paranoia?  Hormones can certainly upset mental health, Dr Dalton did a lot of research [NAPS].  Let us know how you get on ?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »

Hang on in there. Flushes usually go within a week or two but my anxiety and insomnia took 3 months to go completely. The psychological symptoms seem to need a build up of oestrogen. I hope you feel better soon.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »

Hello Strawberrygiraffe and welcome to the forum.

I am another one who was always rational but I am now struggling with mood problems. Whilst on this 'journey' a lot of symptoms have come and gone but the mood issues have made me decide to try HRT again.

I was told by a GP that vasomotor symptoms like hot flushes respond quickly but psychological ones take longer, just as Sheila 99 has said.  Waiting for improvement is hard going though and you have my sympathy!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

Curlywurlygurly

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 04:32:14 PM »

Ok so here’s the latest update. The gel and I were not a good fit. It seemed to make the flushes worse so have put it on hold. The anxiety has flattened out at the mo so am playing it by ear. 
Thank you all again for the support it’s such a relief to not be judged.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 04:43:09 PM »

Tnx for the update.  Hormones rise and fall which can cause awful feelings.  I may have suggested keeping a mood/food/symptom diary?

HAB

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

Hi, I'm also struggling with anxiety and panics. On hrt but waiting for an appointment at the menopause clinic for advice about whether to change the dose, try gel etc. I was thinking of starting high dose Vitamin B complex to see if that will help. Does anyone have any experience of vitamin supplements?
Any advice would be great. Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »

Hi HAB - have you read the threads in the 'alternative' room?  Some find that supplements help until their hormones take over.

Anxiety and panic can be relieved by appropriate medication as well as HRT.

HAB

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »

Thanks for your reply.
I'm struggling a bit to find it! Is it in the forum?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »

Yep.

If you go to the black line of words under the blue/white boxes above and press Menopause Discussion - it should pop up.
Pages: [1] 2