Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Oral Cancer  (Read 10840 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Oral Cancer
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2021, 07:30:58 PM »

Well done getting old.  You have taken control and decided what's best for you.  Ultimately if it helps you to face the rest of your treatment, it must be a positive.

Wishing you good luck for the coming weeks.
Shadyglade

Strongkat

« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2021, 07:46:02 PM »

The main thing is you feel content getting_old that has to count for a lot.
Hope all goes as well as it possibly can.

CLKD

« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »

You are in control now that you have made your decision.  Well done!

How long B4 you are able to begin radiation, probably until there's been some healing? 
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Kathleen

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »

Hello getting_old.

I am pleased that you are happy with your decision and you have clearly done what is best for you.

Wishing you well with your recovery and please keep us updated.

Take care and sending hugs.

K.

getting_old

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2021, 07:14:02 PM »

I do keep thinking "what if it worked?", but I've been through so much and I'm still so weak. Interestingly when the surgeon told me he could re-do the surgery to try for a better outcome (as he'd hoped first time) and I said I didn't think I could cope and explained my reasons he didn't push or try to change my mind. He said it was understandable given what I'd been through. That helps a lot with me being comfortable with the decision.
Apart from that the feeding tube is still a complete nightmare so they are hoping to try some very soft food tomorrow. I'm hoping that I can cope but they've said even if I can I'll keep the feeding tube for at least 3 or 4 days until they are sure I can eat enough.

CLKD

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2021, 08:26:27 PM »

How are the pain levels and various areas of soreness?

R U able to suck through a straw yet?

groundhog

« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »

Hi Getting Old,
I know for a fact surgeon’s these days don’t speak to patients like they used to as they are all afraid of litigation.  When I was 4 day post op from my op I thought my life was over. Feeding tube and told I’d never eat again and more surgery was too dangerous.  They wouldnt even consider it, still won’t.  I went from a feeding tube to,TPN which is even worse as you can’t eat or drink at all. 
So the fact they are suggesting more surgery ( on the basis they know exactly what they are up against ) plus the fact they are even contemplating soft food does sound quite hopeful.
It’s a horrendous situation and if you read my posts at day 20 I think back in 2015 I wanted to die, my future had been taken away from me.
I never thought I’d be where I am today, still got the bags but eating and drinking.  Your body is amazing.
My heart goes out to you.  How about asking for a meeting with consultant with your husband , that’s what he did, it was scheduled so he had more time x

sheila99

« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2021, 09:01:26 PM »

If still have even a small doubt about your decision it might be worth doing as groundhog suggests. It's good they're not trying to push you into it but there's nothing worse than 'what if' when it's too late. If you're completely happy ignore this. Good luck with the food.

getting_old

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »

I think I'm good with the decision. There's always going to be what-ifs - what if it worked, what if it failed.

Feeding tube is still in but I got to try soft food. After everything that's happened I can barely open my mouth because of the pain in my jaw, but I managed a few mouthfuls of mash and some high protein drink. I think I spilt more than I ate, but it's a start. I tried a straw and that was impossible. Early days.

Shadyglade

« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2021, 05:51:07 PM »

Baby steps.

Hopefully once the inflammation reduces it will be easier.

CLKD

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2021, 06:57:36 PM »

Pity about the straw, ? lack of sucking reflex or too sore ?

:foryou:

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »

Getting Old....makes many of us realize that no matter what are aches and pains are, what you and groundhog have gone through is nothing short of courageous.   I whine every day  about aching bones but then read stories like yours and thank fate and destiny  it wasn't me...there but for the grace of God go we.  Selfish thought I know.  I'm only human after all. 

You will make it and come out the other side strong.  Wishing you only the best.

CLKD

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2021, 09:44:32 AM »

Half a day at a time !

KaraShannon

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »

Getting_old, thinking of you, I've just read your updates and to me it sounds like the decision was right for you.  We just know sometimes about things.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, that you start gaining in strength.  I know the radiation is the next stage, but one step at a time now.  Wishing you strength and healing x

Salad

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »

Just catching up with how you’re doing getting _old.

Any decision you make is the right one for the situation you find up yourself in at the time, you have to put the what ifs and hindsight to one side. Good for you in doing what you feel is right for you.
I’m glad you managed a bit of mash- I love a bit of mash and gravy  :)

Keep looking forward and it will be tiny steps, but it sounds like you have support around you and a plan to follow.
Rest up and take care x

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16