Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: C.mas 2020  (Read 4877 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
C.mas 2020
« on: November 24, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »

Up to three households can meet up during a five-day Christmas period of 23-27 December, leaders of the four UK nations have agreed.

The leaders said 2020 "cannot be a normal Christmas" but family and friends will be able to see each other in a "limited and cautious" way.

People can mix indoors in homes, places of worship and in outdoor spaces.

But existing rules on hospitality and venues will remain and the bubbles people form must be "exclusive".

This means people cannot get together with those from more than two other households and, once a bubble is formed, it must not be changed or be extended further.

How large is a 'household'?  In many communities this could be over 50 people meeting ........ also ? 5 ? days  :-\: 2 of which will be travelling.

What I would suggest is that each family member takes an item of food or drink to avoid too much time spent in the kitchen.  Low key, healthy food and time together.  It won't make any difference 2 our arrangements.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: C.mas 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »

With most things opening up soon, I'm dreading the weeks after Xmas especially as now three households CAN mix. Like CLKD said, there's a lot of people in some households.
The infection rate is supposedly come down now, so surly it'll rise again after Xmas? 🤷‍♀️
It's just so sad. I totally understand how people are thinking, we've all had a bad year, some more than others, especially those who've lost loved ones to the covid, and now it's Xmas round the corner, they all want a good time, but people should think hard first and weigh everything up before they mix with lots of people.
Stay safe everyone. xx

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 07:35:04 PM »

At the most we had 14-17 round Grandma's table at C.mas in the 1950s/60s.  That was 3 sons/wives, cousins, grandparents ......... 3 dogs  ;D.  I HATED it  ::)

We can't travel to see any one as there is no where to stay .........  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »

We will have breakfast. Go for a long walk, weather allowing.  Cook the C.mas pud for lunch.  Main meal at tea-time as usual.  Then slum in front of the TV.  As usual  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 10:00:17 PM »

Bah humbug here. I don't see the point in lockdown now, letting it spread over Xmas and inevitably another lockdown jan/Feb, more lives lost, and more business bankruptcies and lost jobs. Of course it's different for anyone who thinks it may be their last one and no one should be alone but we can see the end of it now with the vaccine so surely just for this one Xmas we could stick to own households (or bubble for anyone alone). We're in a bubble with MIL who lives alone, I won't see anyone else as I don't want to be responsible for her death.

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »

Christmas conundrum here.
In theory We could do what we normally do, all 12 have dinner together.  3 households but the only one with room is me ( at a push) and I don’t fancy cooking for 12.  We could go to my daughters but that will also be cramped.  My sisters ex partner comes to dinner snd he is adamant he’s had it so is a bit blasé and stresses me out so with all of us crammed around a table is go8ng to be stressful.  Plus he does have a chronic cough ( I do think he did have it in Jan , he’d been work8ng in China 🤦🏻‍♀️),  so with him coughing all the time , can you imagine.
Plus I can’t eat like everyone else so I hate formal meals!! 
No idea what we will do if I’m honest 🙁

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »

It's not fair actually: Dwivali was cancelled and other religions are not able to celebrate together .............

groundhog - why make more stress 4 yourself?  By Easter we will know whether we are safer so why not wait?

The World is more connected than ever B4 though I can see ZOOM dropping out if everyone logs on at the same time  ::)

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:01 AM »

I just dont get why when have come so far and sacrificed so much time that we could actually risk being back to square one come Feb/March.  It's like groundhog day!  We are all suffering, we have given up well earned summer holidays, other religions have had to forfeit their religious times.  I feel it extremely selfish that people would risk everything (and everybody) for what has now become for most, simply a chance to eat, drink and be merry.  I personally think we should stick this out, wait to see what happens with vaccines and put our efforts into making 2021 a better year and plan for Christmas 2021 instead.  It's fine and well saying that for some of the elderly it may be their last Christmas, but we could really say that about anyone, we dont know what's round the corner.  It appears as a nation we are so much weaker than our European counterparts.  Their lockdowns and rules from the start have been much stricter.  Pubs, etc in France are now closed until the end of January and Spain is on major alert until May 2021, and even the scientists here seem to think meeting up for 5 days is a mistake.  We just all seem to fold and buckle at the sight of tinsel and the sound of a Christmas tune!  I've now lost faith in all of the four nations leaders.  Now, I sound like a real Bah Humbug, when in fact I am the complete opposite.  I love Christmas, but I do think this is all too much too soon.  In fact I find it quite frightening.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »

I believe it's due to the fact that people will travel and meet.  The UK doesn't have the Police capacity to arrest or stop each vehicle that is traveling.  We rarely see a Police car on the road when out and about on our twice weekly shopping trip to the town 5 miles away.  Last week the Police were sitting in the supermarket car park having a coffee in their riot van.  ::)

The roads will be chaos.  And why should public transport be expected to run ........... a few drinks from people not wearing masks !?!?  'do as you would be done by' .......... easy 4 me to say as I haven't anyone to visit, Mum refuses to engage with us and there's no where to stay in her area but really ............ 25th if a fixed date which may/not be correct anyway. 

Why not combine successful vaccination programme with a knees up ;-)  :ola:

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »

I was rather hoping we'd be banned from meeting up.  ;D

There are seven of us altogether living in five different households usually. My youngest son has come back to live here, with me and my partner, for this second lockdown as he found the last one, working from his HMO house, really difficult. He now counts as our household so as long as he doesn't go home between now and Christmas(!) that's how it will stay. My ex husband (we're really great friends) lives just up the road and lives alone so he has bubbled with us some time ago so he also counts as "our household". Middle son lives on his own and eldest son lives with his wife. In effect we can all meet up as we are three households but I still consider it risky. My middle son still goes into work a couple of days a week travelling by train. He is an eternal optimist as is my ex husband.

Usually we host Christmas between us. Some of the family stay here and the overflow stay with my ex husband. They arrive on Christmas Eve and usually stay till the day after Boxing Day. We cook the Christmas meal between us and have Christmas Day at my house and Boxing Day is hosted by him at his house. We sort of go between both houses during the time they are here. I've been trying to get them to see that if we do meet up it wont be quite the same but I think I'm seen as the doom monger! Reading the suggestions on how to keep safe fills me with dread! Windows open. The risk from hard surfaces. Only one person preparing, cooking and serving food (exhausted already lol). Separate towel for everyone in cloakrooms, bathrooms, kitchen.

I'll have to do some serious thinking I reckon. Most of my friends are not seeing any family but are hoping to have a big family celebration when things are safer.

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »

time to begin new traditions ;-)

It's going to be chilly in the dentist's chair over the Winter  ;D.  It has to be all windows to get a flow through of air. Apparently  ::). Time to get out the  :bbq: instead?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »

One cannot bubble with lots of groups.  It's an excuse to not obey what has been suggested!

The bubble has always been: pick 5 people that you would like to meet on a regular basis and stick to it.  That 5 should be it - no mixing with others to form another bubble.  If 1 is in regular work or travelling on the underground, it stands to my reason that 1 doesn't form bubbles anyway!!

C-19 is spread by coughing, singing, spitting whilst talking - hence the need for masks.  Add to that  :drunk: and people are going to forget to keep the mask on or socially distance.

Our dental surgeries are under such strict restrictions that I can't see why the public don't realise that we should be keeping to rules too. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »

They are incorrect but don't want to know.  I don't know many people that I would want to be close too ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »

I saw on the news how many village halls may well close for ever due to lack of attention, fund raising and no one allowed to use them  :'(

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »

Yes indeed Franny. My arms ached to hug people in early lockdown. Always hug my friends. Roll on vaccine! Have a virtual (( hug))
  I am not normally a big hugger but I have had the urge to do so quite a few times since lockdown started.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4