Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Now what do I do?  (Read 4754 times)

sheila99

Re: Now what do I do?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 03:07:46 PM »

It's best to change one thing at a time so you know what causes any side effect. It isn't unusual to get sore boobs when you increase oestrogen so my money would be on that. It will usually settle so I would buy a good sports bra and wait a bit longer. I get sore boobs with progesterone, always did with my own but now that has all but packed up I'm on day 10 of 200mg utro before I get it. I think it's unlikely the change to vaginal utro would be be big enough change though I don't think you can rule it out. My sore boobs with progesterone doesn't go until a few days after the prog stops. So I think you have 2 choices, you can either wait or you can change either the gel or the utro back to what it was before and see what happens.

befuddled

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »

Hi Rufus,  what you wrote a couple of weeks ago - "I was told to take at night to aid sleep so if I went back took 100 mg orally on morning it may aid absorption as gut is fuller in evening" - i think that's the wrong way round.  Taking utro with food increases absorption, not decreases it.  I'm pretty sure that's right, hope someone else comes along to confirm it.

sheila99

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 10:43:59 PM »

I don't know about orally but used vaginally it makes no difference as it doesn't go through the gut anyway. You do need to insert it just before you go to bed though (gravity).

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »

Sorry no time to read this thread but just to say I believe befuddled is right in that taking Utro with food is said to increase absorption.
Taking utro with food increases absorption, not decreases it.  I'm pretty sure that's right, hope someone else comes along to confirm it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:12:33 AM by Wrensong »

Rufus657

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 05:15:26 AM »

Hi everyone. Thanks for your support and suggestions. Sheila999, the reason i changed to vaginal utro was because I was bleeding every 10 days and felt wretched. So vaginal has sorted that ( although have been spotting for 7 days :/ and have period pains today ) 

I upped the oestrogel as the sweats were un manageable. Now in a dilemma as boobs are twice size and so painful. Generally though my energy and well being are good. This boob thing is agony.

Can anyone recommend a good nhs meno clinic near the Berkshire area.  The clinic I attended in Oxford has now changed the way they communicate with patients and I can’t get help in the same way I used too. I have to wait until March to talk to my consultant.

Shall I take evening primrose oil ? Can I do that ? If. I could sort this pain and tenderness out that would  be a relief. I’m a bit  reluctant to go onto the sequential route off my own back   

Also reluctant to quit as I feel energetic and free of joint pain and low mood.

Ladybird 2

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 10:17:07 PM »

Hi Rufus,
I have also suffered from very sore heavy boobs & progesterone is the culprit. I was also on Utro & Oestrogel the pain was awful & limits exercise choices for sure.
I have taken Eve primrose for about more 20 years or starflower which is stronger. I believe they  have helped with meno, inflammation & joints. Whenever I have stopped HRT or pill over the years boobs are usually reduced in size more in proportion with my petite frame & when I am back on HRT go up a size & around the old monthly time they get sorer.

Reducing salt really helps, swimming when possible tends to really help & after swim tend to pee a lot & eases tenderness & retention.
I am awaiting Femseven patches to come back which is now promising Jan 2021 but now taking Femoston conti which is  better than utro for me especially boobs but they still get sore - better with patches.
I hope you find this useful it's such a juggle finding the best combination but really great overall for mind, body, bones & lady garden  ;D
Happy healthy Christmas to all :)
Ladybird2

Wrensong

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 08:46:14 AM »

Can anyone recommend a good nhs meno clinic near the Berkshire area. 
  No personal experience but Patrick Bose at Royal Berks Hospital, Reading, is listed as having a special interest in menopause & trained under Nick Panay.

Rufus657

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »

Hi All. Well enough was enough. The pain in my boobs became so unbearable and I have felt so oremenstrual that I have come off everything as started to brown spot. I give up. Of course since then I have had shocking period pains and bleeding all over Christmas and it’s just coming to an end now. However my boobs are pain free and I feel lighter. Now what !! Now back to low energy joint pain and what ever else may unfold. Disillusioned to say the least.

However.  I have a question. Can I take the testosterone gel on its own to keep my libido up. That could work for now until I decide what to do next. Can anyone help on that question. :))

sheila99

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »

I believe testosterone gets converted if you're deficient in oestrogen. It's unlikely you'll get anyone to prescribe it on it's own and if they do it may not work as expected. When you say you upped the oestrogen and this resulted in sore boobs - could you have used a smaller amount which might give you the benefit without the pain?

Rufus657

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:48 PM »

Thank you Wrensong and Ladybird for your replies. I will investigate the chap at royal Berks. That’s local to me.

Sheila999 when you say testosterone is converted. What is it converted into ? 

Have to say I feel relieved to be off it all. Felt so premenstrual.

However , already feel that my libido has dropped like a stone. Testosterone worked so well for that.

After all,  my main issues before HRT were no libido , low mood and joint pain. All were remedied  by hrt  despite the faff and messing about.

There must be the perfect  combo for me out there. I just don’t see why I should have to pay a fortune for finding it privately.

All advice  and suggestions very  welcome especially if you have found a good NHS meno clinic or clinician.

Wrensong

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

Hi Rufus, have just quickly read through this thread.  When you said you've had 4 attempts do you mean the HRT combo you've just stopped was your 4th type of HRT?  I'm asking for 2 reasons: 1) I cannot tolerate Utrogestan with any amount of oestrogen & one of its worst effects for me is horrendous ramping up of night sweats.  So I wonder whether, as I think someone else suggested, you might be better on a different form of prog?  2) the more androgenic progestogens in Evorel Sequi/Conti or once back on the market Femseven Sequi/Conti, may solve your libido probs without needing T.  Apologies if you've tried these & found them unsuitable.

You could maybe ring Mr Bose's sec @ Royal Berks to find out whether he is currently able to see patients/offering teleconsults/how long his waiting list & get your GP to refer you if any quicker than waiting for the Radcliffe appt, though somehow I doubt it.  Not sure whether Outpatient appts at RBH have now been suspended with the escalation of the COVID situation.  Their website may say.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:32:08 AM by Wrensong »

Postmeno3

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »

Just a quick bit of personal experience. I was trialled on testosterone a while back and had to stop as hair was growing across my lower belly. I was using the minimal amount. I only had Estring (am post meno) so having oestrogen to enable its efficacy is a puzzle to me. I think it could be ok in peri or meno, but very unsure about post. There are herbal remedies like Horny Goat Weed (unfortunate label!) which might help with libido and be less likely to mess up the whole hormonal cascade? It's a real dilemma, finding and striking the right balance, but my gut feeling is still less is more as far as possible so we can be clear what's going on and what's working.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:15:40 AM by Postmeno3 »

Rufus657

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »

Hello Wren Song

Yes , this last cocktail Utro, oestrogel and testosterone is the 4th prescription

1 was Elleste, sore boobs just manageable but felt suicidal
2 was femseven conti felt mad and kept bleeding and patches coming off
3 was Utro 100mg Orally and oestrogel  bleeding every 10 days
4 Utro 100mg vaginally with Oestrogel and Test. No bleeding for 3 months but horrendous night sweats, unbearable boobs , shocking premenstrual feelings and now a bleed. BUT ! ....felt good in body re aches and pains and energy and libido fab !

Have now come off everything. feel amazing  and light( no premenstrual stuff )....BUT sore joints and body aches and no libido !

I will check out another clinic and follow up Dr Bose today
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:42:58 PM by Rufus657 »

Wrensong

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »

Hello again Rufus.  So if Elleste was Duet, that means you've tried the 2 more androgenic progestogens: Norethisterone in that & Levonorgestrel in Femseven?  Looking at your list that seems to leave a couple of options for progestogens: dydrogesterone (in Femoston) or MPA tabs (with separate oestrogen)?  You could combine testosterone with either of those to get your libido back.  Imagine you want to avoid an IUD.  Just a few thoughts, as the compromise for feeling amazing & light being joint pain, body aches & no libido is not great.  Have been through all the prog options myself & none of them have been good, so I sympathise.

I hope you manage to get an appointment with someone helpful soon.  Do let us know.
Wx

Forgot to say - if there's a chance you were not getting adequate absorption from the gel, I find Estradot work well in that respect & also stick very well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:48:20 PM by Wrensong »

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »

Hi Rufus, I am in my mid 60's and have been trying to get right HRT for me for a year.
I was on a conti regime as didn't want to bleed. I was on the gel 2 pumps daily and 100mg Utrogestan every night with a blob of Tostran gel. I started it last year because hot flushes would not go away, got bad VA, no libido, bad mood and joint pain.
The hot flushes went after after a few weeks of starting but other issues never really improved.

I wrote to Dr Currie who suggested I may not be absorbing the gel and suggested Estradot patches. So my Gp changed the gel to an Estradot 50mg patch and am now taking that with the Utro and Tostran gel (after having a two months break to see how I went - but hot sweats came back with a vengeance >:().

I am now waiting to try the FemSeven Conti which is on order with my pharmacy after my GP doing a script for it, as I am going to try going completely transdermal which was suggested but not available when I went to my local Meno clinic over a year ago.

It really all is a minefield so hope you go on ok. x
Pages: 1 [2] 3