Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New member 42 years of age and undecided about starting HRT  (Read 1047 times)

Dianew23

• First Flush
New member 42 years of age and undecided about starting HRT
« on: November 20, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »

Hello! And thank you for letting me join! I am 42 single mum to a 5 year old little girl. I have been perimenopausal for approx 2.5 years with an average of 2 periods a year. My last one was April.
My symptoms are getting beyond manageable now with night sweats, insomnia and anxiety being really heightened at the moment. I spoke to my doctor who recommended I read on this website. He would prescribe HRT due to my age and needing the protective factor of estrogen for bones. Added worry my mum has osteoporosis.
The doctor also said I would need a progesterone only contraception (currently don’t use any protection just fact I am not ovulating).

I am really unsure about taking HRT and a contraception and in fact I’m just unsure about everything and feel like my head is about to fall off and I could just really do with some advice and guidance.

Thank you
Diane

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member 42 years of age and undecided about starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »

:welcomemm: I am sure that someone will be along with advice about HRT.

Some find it helpful to keep a mood/food/symptom diary as peri can throw up some anomalies  ::).  Browse round, make notes.  Bladder issues and vaginal atrophy threads are particularly useful - forewarned is forearmed.

:medal: 2 the GP!

mandss

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »

Firstly Hello there
This whole thing is a mind field... I do not think I could manage with out HRT. I also have a mirena coil fitted but only for the progesterone benefits rather than as a contraceptive. I still have symptoms such as anxiety, and hot flushes but overall my quality of life is much improved since starting the HRT nearly three years ago. I must admit that talking about the menopause, has been the best tonic. It has taken years for me not to be so hard on myself an too realise that i will come through this, although at times I do wonder! Good luck

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

You need progesterone to stop your womb lining getting too thick which would put you at greater risk of cancer. You can use a mirena coil if you want it for contraception as well but if you don't mind the possibility of a pregnancy you can use one designed for hrt. As you say the chances are slim. Transdermal is safer than oral so perhaps ask for a patch and gel. Meno is bad enough without a small child to look after, mine was old enough to understand but I still guilty as she was on the receiving end of my bad temper. Like you I had anxiety and insomnia, without sleep you just can't function normally. I decided quality of life was the most important factor for me. At least you have an understanding doctor.