Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here! Need some support!!  (Read 1110 times)

Rugbymum!!

• First Flush
New here! Need some support!!
« on: November 09, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »

Hi,
Hoping you can help this 50 year old nurse who feels like she is falling apart!!
I’m not really sure if I’m perimenopausal! I have had a mirena coil for the last 10 years so have had no periods at all so cant use them to give guidance!!
I have developed the following symptoms over the last weeks and days......
Increase in resting heart rate with palpitations. Pulse consistently high over last couple of days ... well over 100 beats a minute at rest (GP telephone appointment tomorrow!)
Brain fog.... can’t concentrate!
Difficulty sleeping (initially blamed husbands snoring!!!)
Headaches.... especially Morning and night.
Increasing anxiety ( not usually an anxious person) and emotion (cry easily) and general apathy
Vaginal itching... thought it was thrush that wouldn’t go away!!!
Itchy skin... feels dry. Increase in contact dermatitis which had mostly resolved.
Tingly, ‘fizzy legs’ at night sometimes especially when tired.
Today I had several episodes where sweat running down my back!!! This is new. Hate a warm bedroom and don’t like being warm in bed but used fan over last few nights.
Does this sound familiar? It seemed to start so quickly!!
My mirena was due to be changed in august but I was told that there was no rush due to my age! Could this be a factor????
I’m probably healthier than I have been for years..... exercising, eating well and lost a stone over last few months!
What do you ladies think? Any support or advice would be great fully received!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here! Need some support!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »

Yep, sounds familiar from where I'm sitting  ::).   :welcomemm:

If you have had a coil for over about 7 years any hormone benefit may well have been lost. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Get that vagina sorted:  read our 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads ASAP and ask your Surgery for treatment.  You don't need any examination or blood tests for that treatment. 

Ask away - what is your speciality?   Once you begin to get yourself sorted, buy copies of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" to leave in your surgery ;-).  The word is slowly being spread about vaginal atrophy which none of us are ready for.  Urine infection-type symptoms are often due to atrophy. 

Brain fog is common: we have threads about 'doing stupid things' and do watch out for "That Strange Woman in My House" ;-)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:54:04 PM »

Yes, sounds like menopause to me. The one I'm not sure about is the heart rate, I think it's good you're going to see your gp about it. Hrt should ease your symptoms but you may well need local oestrogen as well for your VA.

Paz23

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »

All those symptoms sound very familiar. I had really bad heart palpitations for a while - usually as soon as my head hit the pillow at night  >:(
I had an ecg and blood tests and everything was fine. Not had any palpitations since starting HRT. I too have a mirena coil fitted. They run out of hormones after about 5 years and need replacing, either for contraceptive purposes or for the progesterone uterus protection part of HRT. If they’ve said you don’t need it replacing due to your age they obviously don’t think you need contraception any more, suggesting menopause. Also if the hormones in your coil have run out but your periods have not returned that gives you an indicator too.
But yes all the symptoms you describe I’ve had at some point over the last 2 years.

marge

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »

Fizzy legs was something l suffered from at night too. Still get it sometimes now even though well past meno. GP put it down to anxiety.

Brit66

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 07:14:34 AM »

Hi,
Hoping you can help this 50 year old nurse who feels like she is falling apart!!
I’m not really sure if I’m perimenopausal! I have had a mirena coil for the last 10 years so have had no periods at all so cant use them to give guidance!!
I have developed the following symptoms over the last weeks and days......
Increase in resting heart rate with palpitations. Pulse consistently high over last couple of days ... well over 100 beats a minute at rest (GP telephone appointment tomorrow!)
Brain fog.... can’t concentrate!
Difficulty sleeping (initially blamed husbands snoring!!!)
Headaches.... especially Morning and night.
Increasing anxiety ( not usually an anxious person) and emotion (cry easily) and general apathy
Vaginal itching... thought it was thrush that wouldn’t go away!!!
Itchy skin... feels dry. Increase in contact dermatitis which had mostly resolved.
Tingly, ‘fizzy legs’ at night sometimes especially when tired.
Today I had several episodes where sweat running down my back!!! This is new. Hate a warm bedroom and don’t like being warm in bed but used fan over last few nights.
Does this sound familiar? It seemed to start so quickly!!
My mirena was due to be changed in august but I was told that there was no rush due to my age! Could this be a factor????
I’m probably healthier than I have been for years..... exercising, eating well and lost a stone over last few months!
What do you ladies think? Any support or advice would be great fully received!!!

Sounds exactly like perimenopausal symptoms. I had most of those too, and found that HRT has been the answer. I only wish I hadn't waited so long before I took the leap of faith and did it.