Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: dermovate  (Read 1736 times)

corhale

• First Flush
dermovate
« on: October 20, 2020, 09:55:08 AM »

Hi everyone,
Has anyone used dermovate or nerisone forte for vulval soreness. I take vagifem every other day and although it has made a difference, I am still sore in the vulval area. I have tried lots of creams and gels, I cant use most of them because of the burning, so I am wondering if a steroid cream would help. Thankyou

Hurdity

Re: dermovate
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »

Hi corhale - your post got missed. I haven't used dermovate but I was given betnovate which I expect is similar, for vulval irritation but was only supposed to use it for 7 days at a time. It did do the job though - calmed things down.  If you have persistent problems there - do you know what is causing them eg intimacy? Otherwise it might be that you should consider taking systemic HRT which some women need even for vagilnal issues if Vagifem doesn't work.

You could also possibly ask for estriol cream (the generic weaker one 0.01%) not Ovestin to give you additional oestrogen on these external areas which some women use and may not cause burning - perhaps you could use the dermovate for a week until things  ease and then move onto another product.

There are lots of posts on vaginal problems - look for Maryjane's posts and there was a long-running thread in private lives called "The Burning Club" which should have some good advice in it though I'm not sure if it's been posted on recently. If it's dropped off the page I'll bump it for you.

Apologies I am really no expert at all on VA so others will be able to help better. I think you didn;t get replies because of the title - so if you don't get any more replies or you need more advice I suggest you start a new thread but with vaginal soreness , burning or something in the title to catch people's eye?

Hope this helps a little?

Hurdity x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »

Corhale, just seen your post.

Dermovate is fine if it has been prescribed for this area, but it is unwise to self-treat if you have not been examined for other conditions besides VA (eg, lichen sclerosis, dermatitis etc). GPs will not necessarily be able to recognise these, so you could ask for a referral or see one privately.

Good resources for VA are Jane Lewis's private Vaginal Atrophy Facebook group, and you can follow her on Instagram @my_menopausal_vagina, where there are many useful posts and videos. She is Maryjane on here.

JP x

Nairn

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »

Hi

I’ve used it - always under the guidance of a GP as it’s very powerful. It’s usually for a bad flare up.   I use 2 x 1.5 inch lengths of the ointment (not cream) and smear All over the Vural external area, and then cover that with a layer of  Diprobase ointment- very sticky but the combo both treats and moisturises.  Usually takes a week of applying morning and night to get back to ‘normal’ - and also using vagifem.  Hope that helps