Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'smart' motorways  (Read 3450 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
'smart' motorways
« on: October 19, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »

Well, another 'good' idea.  Not.  M1 is being altered which means devastation of countryside: trees felled, ground dug up, queues which means more fumes from vehicles.  Then they are simply not a safe means of travel, no hard shoulder and pull offs occasionally.  Already 10 people have died as a result of people breaking down with no where of safety.

:bang: :bang: :bang:  :sigh:

Ju Ju

Re: 'smart' motorways
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »

Been through the agonies of motorways being made ‘smart’, which apparently has caused some accidents due to no hard shoulder. Made going to my parents even more painful. Finished now and roadworks moved to another motorway that I use. It takes years to do.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »

I think they should be stopped.  It's known that people have been killed on the Hard Shoulder so why remove that chance of keeping off the main carriageway  :-\. I can't see the reasoning ..............

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »

Despite deaths due to lack of escape routes 9 more motorways will be affected ..........

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »

It makes NO SENSE at all,we saw someone broken down about a mile from the lay-by thing,also,won't it slow emergency service vehicles down,who used to use the hard shoulder?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »

Probably, hadn't thought of that aspect. 

Ms Peak

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »

Hi there.
The M1 in Leicester is already 4 lanes both side :( my close friend and I have sons who are HGV mechanics on break down rotation. Her boy works the M1 all the time in that area.. Cra who decides smart is the way forward....
Thank goodness my younger lad works east anglia....no motorways
Ms Peaks

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »

Apart from the M11 and the M25 Ms Peaks!

I lost a close friend due to the minibus she was driving on the M4 losing power with nowhere to go. I'm sure a hard shoulder would have saved three lives that day. Smart motorways don't sound very smart to me.

Taz x 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 10:02:51 PM »

Sorry to learn that Taz2.  So un-necessary.  I have told DH that we must avoid these monstrosities ....... I'd rather take a longer journey !!

Ms Peak

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »

Hi Taz.
I mentioned M1 as it was in the first post.
I hate the idea of smart motorways.
Lives should never be compromised for the sake of traffic flow.... Safety first.
So sorry to know you lost a friend on one.
I hope to goodness my boy stays working in the East when we have none.... Fixing HGVs on a smart motorway is too too dangerous....!!!
Ms Peaks

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »

Oh Taz,that's awful,so so sad,what makes it worse is that she COULD have survived  :'( :'(
In this country it wouldn't matter if we had 8 lanes either side,you'll always get idiots who sit in the outside lane or the ones who sit in a middle lane when there's absolutely no traffic anywhere   >:(

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »

So what can we do, or is it like HS2 a lost cause  :'(

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »

Do as Michael Mckintyre,if they're in the middle lane,overtake them and then when in front of them spray your window washers,then go to the inside lane and then overtake them again,just circle them basically and spray them with water every time  ;D ;D
When there's been enough accidents (sadly) wait and see,they'll revert back to how it was,isn't that what ALWAYS happens  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »

Oh Taz,that's awful,so so sad,what makes it worse is that she COULD have survived  :'( :'(
In this country it wouldn't matter if we had 8 lanes either side,you'll always get idiots who sit in the outside lane or the ones who sit in a middle lane when there's absolutely no traffic anywhere   >:(

Yes if she'd had the hard shoulder to pull on to they would have been safe. The second lorry driver behind didn't have time to react when her speed dropped from 60 to virtual standstill.

A work colleague of mine was fined for being in the middle lane when the inside lane was empty.

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

We have a large RV and my OH doesn't really like going into the outside lane but he won't undertake and these idiots just sit there in the middle lane (sorry Taz's workmate  ;D ) so he has no option but to use the outside lane,it's even worse for lorry drivers as they're NOT allowed to use the outer lane so they just have to sit patiently behind these people  >:( >:( 
Rant over  ;D
Pages: [1] 2