Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Chronic anxiety  (Read 11945 times)

Popmummy

Chronic anxiety
« on: October 16, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »

Hello

I’m new here. I’m 51 and know that I’m probably getting close to menopause. My periods have got further and further apart over the last 2 years and lighter too, although my last period after nothing for 3 months was heavier.

I don’t know if any of this is responsible for the awful anxiety I am feeling. I’ve always suffered, but for years I would experience a bout of anxiety and then feel fine inbetween. However since having my daughter 10 years ago my anxiety has gotten more regular and in the last 3 years it’s been awful. The focus is health anxiety and I am struggling to cope with the constant fear. I’ve had CBT, am on sertraline and now pregabalin but still I feel the same. I noticed that I will often have a very bad week of health anxiety before a period and always know when I’ve ovulated because my boobs are agony until I start bleeding. But even when I’m not due I’m anxious.

I’m not sure if the increased anxiety is related to my hormones but if it is and there’s something I can do about it I’d love some advice or thoughts.

Thank you

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chronic anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:24:58 PM »

Hi anxiety can certainly be hormonal.

You are a Mum too which won't help.  Your daughter will be getting into her hormonal journey, she'll be wanting a little lee-way when coming home at night, exams to face: change of school etc..  Stresses for both of you.

MayB make a note of any symptom that you would like to ease. My periods waxed and waned.  I was already on ADs and anti-anxiety medication and this is certainly 1 route if your menopause symptoms aren't bothersome.  Some ladies require both HRT and medication.

Health anxiety may increase during peri too.  It's The Change, does what it says on the tin  ::)

Browse round.  :welcomemm:  if you think your anxiety is hormonal would you consider HRT which might be Trial and Error.

Popmummy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »

Thank you for replying CLKD

I am happy to accept that I’m an anxious person, but these last few years have been awful. My daughter is in her first year of senior school and loving it. I work as a deputy head in a large school and am constantly busy, however, that’s always been the case, so no real change there.

I’ve got to the stage now where I would take HRT if it meant the unrelenting anxiety was calmed. The fact that I’m on an anti D and pregabalin, makes me wonder if it is hormonal. My mum had HRT and called them her ‘happy pills’! I worry about the link with bc, but I just want to feel happy again and not wake everyday with fear coursing through my body. I also worry because I know my doc surgery don’t seem to really give much over to hormones and when I’ve mentioned it in the past they have said that hormones could be an issue and they can always prescribe me HRT. Which seems a bit quick if that makes sense.

I will take a look around the site...

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »

Make notes?  After all, HRT can ease symptoms and they don't have to be taken for ever.  Some medications make anxiety symptoms worse initially.  It does seem if you are worse pre-bleed that hormones are adding to symptoms.

I can't advise which HRT though .......... but ladies once they find a regime that helps, stays with it!

Do read the threads about bladder issues and Vaginal atrophy - forewarned is forearmed!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »

My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, on hrt and both have gone. Mine was a little different as I didn't have it until peri. Transdermal hrt is much safer than old oral types that most of the scary research was based on, it has a lower cancer risk than drinking, smoking or being overweight so you can mitigate the risk by keeping a healthy lifestyle. I decided quality of life was more important for me. I would suggest you have a chat with your gp.

racjen

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »

In my experience anxiety and depression have been by far the worst symptoms of menopause, and I never experienced either before peri so I'm sure it's hormones. Unfortunately, although the depression responds to high dose estrogen, it's proved impossible to find any hormonal solution to the anxiety so I've ended up on anti-depressants for that.

NicolaJ

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

Anxiety has been my main symptom. I have two daughters, 21 and 18. The last few years have been very tricky as I’ve found my anxiety has increased so much. I was getting to the point where it was affecting my relationship with them. I initially started on HRT two years ago (Elleste Duet) but found it made me worse. I came off it following GP advice but am now back on it (self researched) and am trying a different progesterone. I’ve now been on Femeston 1/10 for two months. I feel calmer, less anxious and generally able to function better. I also significantly reduced my caffeine intake and increase my exercise. I’m also in education so feel your pain! Might be worth giving HRT a go, I too have gone for quality of life.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »

Many find the progesterone part of treatment difficult or impossible - it's not in the mind, it's hormones  >:(.  There are several regimes as well as methods of HRT delivery ........

Gillycoco

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »

Hi I am 52 and suffering the most awful anxiety I was on patches right up to 100 Estraderm with no change now on zumenon 1 . I also have had the Coil in for over a year I can’t take much more . Can anyone suggest what to do thanks Gillian .

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »

Hi Gilly - put the name of the products into the search box on the Forum; make notes.  You may find how others have coped with the results of the Estraderm etc..

As for anxiety, this can be eased by appropriate medication regardless of causation.  Hormones may make it worse but I would suggest trying either a betablocka every night or an anti-anxiety medication for 5-7 days to see if this eases the feelings.  Some keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  I have an emergency medication for anxiety and also found Propranolol helped.

I have used Bachs rescue remedy throat spray too ........

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »

Hi I am 52 and suffering the most awful anxiety I was on patches right up to 100 Estraderm with no change now on zumenon 1 . I also have had the Coil in for over a year I can’t take much more . Can anyone suggest what to do thanks Gillian .
What's the history of your anxiety? Did it start with peri? Or when your coil was inserted? If it coincided with either you can act accordingly. Of course anxiety can have many causes so it may not be meno related

Gillycoco

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »

When I had my second child 27 years ago I had severe postnatal depression and anxiety. A year ago I started getting horrendous periods and anxiety and the coil was fitted this past few months anxiety never leaves me I am tearful and feel desperate I don’t know if hrt is not working or making me worse I’m feeling so so low .

Gillycoco

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »

@sheila99 I had severe postnatal depression after my second child and anxiety. A year ago I had very heavy periods and anxiety and the coil was fitted about 6 months ago  anxiety got really bad and doc put me on patches starting at low dose and went right up to 100 no change so now on tablet and zumenon and doc is going to take coil out. I’m desperate and feeling awful .

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »

I would ring the surgery this afternoon and ask for 'valium' - it can ease anxiety so that we see the wood for the trees.  My GP prescribed 10mg tablets 3 times a day for 3 days, then 5mg for twice a day for 3 days then as necessary.  It can become addictive but once I had began to calm down, it never crossed my mind to take another pill 'in case'.

racjen

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »

@sheila99 I had severe postnatal depression after my second child and anxiety. A year ago I had very heavy periods and anxiety and the coil was fitted about 6 months ago  anxiety got really bad and doc put me on patches starting at low dose and went right up to 100 no change so now on tablet and zumenon and doc is going to take coil out. I’m desperate and feeling awful .

I had horrendous and unrelenting anxiety which started at menopause, couldn't find any hormonal treatment that made any difference, and the relentlessness of it made me more and more depressed. Although I believe my anxiety is entirely hormonal, I've ended up on anti-depressants simply because they're the only thing that makes any difference, and I'm fed up with trying endless different types of HRT.

I disagree with CLKD about valium - it is extremely addictive, you very very quickly develop a tolerance to it and it's not a solution in this situation. You need to talk to your doctor about anti-depressants - they are also a prescribed treatment for anxiety and some are more suitable than others. You might have to try a few to find one that suits you but if you can it will make all the difference - I finally have my life back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6