Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi, Somewhat ironic to be here only 2.5 yrs after last baby....  (Read 789 times)

Lander

• First Flush
Hi, Somewhat ironic to be here only 2.5 yrs after last baby....
« on: October 06, 2020, 04:08:47 PM »

Hiya,
I'm 39, just, and I've been having increasing peri symptoms for some time now. My Mum and her sister both went through their menopause relatively young. I have vivid memories of Mum having awful premenstrual problems, taking agnus castus when I was a teenager so she was barely in her 40s, apparently me starting my own periods at 13 kept hers going longer. She still used to feel rough at my time of the month well into her 60s, after she stopped despite us living 70 miles apart!!

I was acutally having some elements of it back in 2013, when I was only 32. My first full pregancy in 2016 paused it, I was also good for the 10 months between that and my second one, she arrived in April 2018. Things were still reasonable for around 6-8 months after that but since the start of 2019 onwards they have become more obvious and problematic.

The aches, and feeling like I've been in the gym everyday without a rest day (which was exacerbated by dealing with two toddlers every day), especially in my hands, arms, shoulders and my neck. My lower back is bad where my stomach muscles are still not fully coping after two sections in 19 months, inc a 9lb 10oz first baby! I get swelling in my ankles, I bloat really badly. I react far worse than before to eating things like tomato, onion, garlic, leeks, chives even rosemary.

The monthly problems come twice a month now, I get serious cramping at ovulation as well as at my period. Sore boobs, I rarely had when younger. Awful mood swings, depression, tears, horrible brain fog, can't string a sentence togther one minute then almost manic focus for like 30mins at a time. My bowels are rarely happy, I've gained about two stone over lockdown despite having lost 9lb in February when I was walking about 25km a week. Have just gotten back to that now the kids are at nursery.

I get hyper sexual before ovulation and then just want to crash on bed to sleep early the rest of the month.

The periods have been so heavy I'm wearing tampon and pad for the two main days, it's now often a bit shorter but still heavy and my cycle has been shortening by a day or two every month. (This sounds odd but previously my need to empty the bathroom bin conicided with the fortnightly collections of out black bins. Now it doesn't...)

I've been to the GP about this at least twice since having my DD, blood tests at least omce and everything is always 'normal', but, I'm like, 'How close to normal? Borderline or what?' I take supplements of vitamin D, Calcium, Maganesium, Zinc, B vitamin complex etc as I've tested for Vitamin D deficiancey more than once so I know my levels there are ok.

I managed to submit an E-consult form yesterday, the GP tried calling whilst I was waiting to pick both kids up from nursery today so I said, I'm sorry but I can't discuss all this right now, I'm queing with like 30 other parents! (having ironically been kid free for three hours prior!) I was annoyed but they've called back with a new time and date for a call in 10 days and have requested bloods which I need to go and get done in the next seven days so they're available for the appointment so thats something.

I'm usually taking ibuprofen twice a day when it's bad, I've just bought some tumeric tabs so hoping that will help too.
I end up taking antihistamines and congestion relief meds half the time, it's driving me crazy.

Sorry, bit of a ranty offload. I'm struggling to talk to people about it as my Mum passed away whilst I was seven months pregnant with my daughter in Feb 2018, I'd be talking to her otherwise. I do talk to my husband about it and he's very supportive but he lost his Dad in August 2018 and his Mum this May, due to complications from Liver Disease. We've been through a lot the last few years.

Lxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, Somewhat ironic to be here only 2.5 yrs after last baby....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »

:bighug:

:welcomemm:

You have been through a lot! 

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  You could talk to a Pharmacist about appropriate over-the-counter meds, how often and what to take that will help.

Some food stuffs become off limits  :o - laxity can cause a hiatus hernia which means indigestion/reflux  >:(  ::).  Treatments available. 

Bowels - we have threads on that too! as well as bladder issues and vaginal atrophy.  Do read those. Make notes ;-).  We talk about most issues, nowt is OTT.  I remember feeling really sexually driven prior to periods although my sex drive overall had gone  :(

39 is on the young age of menopause but not unexpected.  The Daisy web-site is another good read too.  Browse round!

Lander

• First Flush
Re: Hi, Somewhat ironic to be here only 2.5 yrs after last baby....
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »

Thank you,

I've been having a read whilst I was waiting for my account application to be approved, will be a bit more thorough now.

TBF either it is the start of peri, and main event is still years off or, I'm actually hyper sensitive to my hormones. This is the longest I've been without hormonal contraception in over 15 years (Husband has had the snip, he also has a 14 yr old from his first marriage) and at times I do wonder if it's related but, when I was getting the intial problems in 2013, I was still fully on progesterone only mini-pill and I was having full blow swollen ankles and was prescribed naproxen for my aches. The bulk of those issues just stopped once I was pregnant with my son so....

Lxx