Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Breathing problems with a mask - any suggestions?  (Read 2804 times)

Sparrow

Re: Breathing problems with a mask - any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 09:24:37 AM »

That's a shame Dorothy.  :(

Do persevere though.  I'm okay for about 15-20 mins now.  If I go on a train for longer than that, I take a bottle of water so that I can remove the mask of a quick drink and replace.  Seems to help and relieves the panic. 

Dorothy

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »

I will keep trying - I must admit though, I'm a bit worried about the chest pain.  Never had anything like this before, so I'm hoping it's not a sign of something more serious!

Sparrow

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »

Could be stress Dorothy.

If you are worried about breathing with the mask, you will feel stressed and that will affect your breathing more.  The stress could well be causing the chest pains.

Having said that perhaps you should get it checked out, just to put your mind at rest.  It's easy to go round in circles, with the mind affecting the body and vice a versa.

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 09:21:32 PM »

I wasn't stressed about wearing a mask before I tried one - I didn't expect to have any problems at all, so it was quite a shock when I tried the first one and felt ill.  I assumed it was the mask (it was a homemade one that I had been given, and I know a few other people struggled with them) and that I'd be ok with a shop-bought one...but I wasn't. 

I am quite stressed now when I put one on, because I know it's going to make me feel ill - but the symptoms have caused the stress, not the other way round!  That's what worries me - if I'd been anxious beforehand, I'd just put it down to stress, but I wasn't.

Unfortunately, I can't get a doctor's appointment without wearing a mask, so until I can wear a mask without difficulty, I can't see the doctor...by which point, I won't need the appointment anyway   ;D

Annie0710

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »

I’m asthmatic and I am really struggling with wearing a mask.  I’m currently on my third type to try.  I am ok if I nip into a shop but doing a supermarket shop I feel very faint and over heat.  I can’t believe the experts say it doesn’t affect your oxygen levels.  I’m forever pulling it away from my face for fresh air to breathe in x

Sage 🍃

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »

Maybe it's not the mask that decreases oxygen, maybe you're hyperventilating (anxiety, stress) and increasing CO2 levels.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933540

Sparrow

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »

Maybe it's not the mask that decreases oxygen, maybe you're hyperventilating (anxiety, stress) and increasing CO2 levels.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933540

I think that is right.  That's why it seems to be people with anxiety disorders that have the most problems. 

The mind and the body work together.

Two hoots

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »

My mum put a drop of eucalyptus oil on a piece of cloth inside her mask, she finds it helps  ::)

Sage 🍃

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »

That's wonderful, Two hoots! I put lavender flowers 😁

Annie0710

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 06:59:31 AM »

That's wonderful, Two hoots! I put lavender flowers 😁

That’s a good idea.  I’m trying a bandana/snood next.  I’m fine if there’s gaps, which defeats the object I know x

Sparrow

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »

Wouldn't do for me.  Strong smells make me sneeze, repeatedly.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 08:39:31 AM »

What a good idea. Next time I go out, which isn't very often I admit, I'm going to put a small drop of Olbas Oil on my mask. See how that works. 👍🏼

Southern Girl

• First Flush
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »

Hi there, So sorry to hear about people suffering like this. I can assure you, you do not have to wear a mask if you suffer from either mental or physical problems when wearing one. You do not have to explain to anyone why you aren't (apart from saying you are exempt) and you do not have to prove it. You can download 'label's that fit inside the plastic part of a lanyard from local bus companies (ours is Stagecoach) and from Asthma UK. There is also a firm for hidden disabilities (like panic attacks) that have labels - just look it up on the internet. If you look up Simon Dolan's organisation called Keep Britain Free I think they know a firm who provide lanyards with official Government wording on them. Please stop using masks if you are suffering, they are extremely bad for you and don't protect you anyway. Hope this is helpful.😊 Cheers SG

Dorothy

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

Hi there, So sorry to hear about people suffering like this. I can assure you, you do not have to wear a mask if you suffer from either mental or physical problems when wearing one. You do not have to explain to anyone why you aren't (apart from saying you are exempt) and you do not have to prove it. You can download 'label's that fit inside the plastic part of a lanyard from local bus companies (ours is Stagecoach) and from Asthma UK. There is also a firm for hidden disabilities (like panic attacks) that have labels - just look it up on the internet. If you look up Simon Dolan's organisation called Keep Britain Free I think they know a firm who provide lanyards with official Government wording on them. Please stop using masks if you are suffering, they are extremely bad for you and don't protect you anyway. Hope this is helpful.😊 Cheers SG

In Wales, you are advised to provide proof, such as a GP letter or prescription form to prove you have an issue that would make wearing a mask difficult.  But even armed with these, some local people have been subjected to verbal abuse and/or been refused entry to a food shop.  I've got a lanyard stating that I don't have to wear a mask due to a hidden disability, but I'd be too scared to go out without one anyway, due to the amount of aggression aimed at anyone who doesn't wear one.  So my only choices are either to stay in or get better at tolerating a mask.  I'm going to give it another week, and if I still can't cope, I'll just resign myself to staying in for the foreseeable.  Tough luck on my OH who is landed with all the errands though!

Uptick

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 03:36:19 PM »

Wouldn't do for me.  Strong smells make me sneeze, repeatedly.

Me too, Shadyglade. I prefer to use a piece of coffee filter paper in the pocket of the mask. I think I'll give the lavender flowers a try though, their smell is not as strong as essential oils.
Pages: 1 [2]