Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopping hrt  (Read 1185 times)

Hazmc

• First Flush
Stopping hrt
« on: September 25, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »

I've been on hrt for 9/10 years. First pill form but have been on patches for roughly a year, which, the only difference being my migraines have stopped. Changed twice a week but usually forget to reapply after shower and go a couple of days without. Originally my doctor said I would take hrt for 10 years but my current doctor says indefinitely. I am considering stopping the hrt but am apprehensive as to what will happen if I do. Will be phoning the clinic on Thursday but wondered if anyone else has done this and the outcome? Thanks

pricey

Re: Stopping hrt
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »

Hi Hazmc.

I have stopped after five years and am coping ok with flushes etc. I have been spotting and intermittently bleeding heavily since, which I hope is just my body recalibrating. I've just been put on norestitherone to try and bring this to a halt. Looking for advice there but none so far. Sorry to be of little help but here to support in any way I can.  :)

X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:37:55 AM »

Hi Hazmc. I've stopped twice in the thirteen years I've been on HRT. Both times due to pressure from GP. I found the symptoms returned within three months of stopping so, for me, I intend to stay on it indefinitely if possible and this has now been endorsed by my pelvic floor team and gynae consultant.

You can just stop it or gradually reduce. Both ways gave the same result with me. I'd say you need around three months from stopping to see how you feel. Can I ask why you want to stop? Not sure how old you are?

Taz x

Beaker

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »

Hi Hazmc, I have finally come off HRT after 7 years.  I reduced the doses gradually and stopped altogether last Monday.  Hence I am now 6 days off it.  So far so good.  I would say you have to come off it very gradually.  I'm not sure how I will feel over the next 12 weeks but so far, I just get the odd sensation of warmth (usually if I am feeling stressed). 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »

Why change things if you are well?  Quality of Life ?  :-\

Hazmc

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »

Hi

I'm only 49 and have also had chronic pain for 9 years so no I dont feel great at all😔. No idea whether some of the pain is due to menapause but I do know something has to change as I feel that all I am doing is constantly taking medication. I'm fairly active at work and just deal with the after effects when I get home and not sure I would feel much worse coming off it. Maybe trial and error🤷‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »

We should never blame menopause for anything out of the ordinary for ourselves.

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains. Where is the pain 4 U, have you tried any pain relief?  I constantly take various medications in order to get a quality of life ;-) it took a while - Trial and Error certainly - with a supportive GP and loving husband, we got there.  Eventually  ::).  In between I manage symptoms as necessary by upping dosage until my depression eases.

You won't know unless you try weaning off.  However, sometimes trying to go back on2 a regime that works isn't possible because the body has moved on [clear as mud  :-\ ]. 

Hazmc

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »

Hi

Chronic lower back/hip pain, elbows, but most of my joints ache at some point. Ive been taking all sorts of medication, different strengths, injections, physio. You name it I've had it and doesn't do any good. I'm such a light sleeper that pain wakes me quite easily so I'm pooped every day🤦🏽‍♀️ I'm sure I will have a ray of hope someday 🤞

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »

I have pains in my neck which aggravate sleep so U have my sympthathy.  [sp]. When did you last change your mattress or alter your pillows?  Also, how is your foot wear ;-) ......... how is your posture at work or using the laptop thingy? 

Beaker

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »

I totally agree with CLKD.  I was told to come off HRT by my GP as she said I have been on it too long. That combined with a dreadfully unsupportive pharmacist and the fact that I struggled to find a formulation to suit me (moodwise) left me feeling so fed up that I finally gave in and came off it.  But my advice to anyone who has an informed and up-to-date GP is to stick with it as long as you feel well on it.  I am furious at the fact that the treatment you get seems to entirely depend on luck. My sister and friends have had GP’s falling over themselves to prescribe HRT for them, without being asked to do so. Despite changing my GP, I have always ended up with doctors who simply don’t like prescribing it despite very clear NICE guidance in support of it.  So for those of you lucky enough to have the support of your GP - lucky you! Enjoy the benefits.

Sammiejane

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »

hi ladies

personally it’s individual choice !

there are risks and side effects to hrt as many of us no and eventually the body adjusts to normal levels of hormones for menopause you do not have menopause life long it’s a natural process , taking hrt can also cause hormones to fluctuate leaving some of us worse in hrt then off

it is trial and error for me at 35 going through surgical menopause now 41 i feel worse with side effects of hrt weight gain heavy boobs hair loss insomnia fatigue irritability aniextg depression all of which have come about since pumping my body full of fake hormones !

2 yrs on hrt and still not much improvement so i myself am stopping

Hazmc

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »

Hi
That sounds pretty grim, I would agree that it's not for everyone for sure. Fortunately my gp has no issue with hrt and the local clinic is very good too, I work in a pharmacy setting so I'm sure I would have good advice there too. Will keep everyone updated if I decide to come off. Thank you for all your feedback and I hope that you find some respite when you come off the hrt🤗

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »

Do let us know !