Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Gastritis  (Read 3369 times)

CrispyChick

Gastritis
« on: September 04, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »

Suffered with this since starting peri. Had it confirmed by endoscopy. One consultant put me on ranitidine - it has since had health scare, so swapped to famotidine. Very low dose..... Was doing fine.

Can no longer get famotidine. My consultant told me I didn't need it anyway, so have run out and stopped.

2 weeks in..... Terrible indigestion and that horrible constant knawing pain in my a tual stomach.

What to do??? Gp offered low dose PPI. But I did t really wa t to ho down that route. So frustrating.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gastritis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »

Why not?  If it helps ease symptoms until you can get Famotidine?  Or maybe try Milk of Magnesia or Rennies?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »

Famotidine should be available again by the middle of this month. I'm not sure why your consultant thinks you no longer need it but you should always stop acid reflux medication slowly or you do get a bad rebound effect. I think the GP suggestion of a different ppi to tide you over is a good one. Hope you get it sorted soon as that gnawing pain is horrible.

Taz x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »

Hi CrispyChick, how did the gastritis show up on the endoscopy please? Will it improve if your consultant said you didn't need the meds? What else did they advise?

I'm going through a long period of heartburn to the extent that my vocal chords are being damaged, confirmed as per an ENT appt last week, when I had a camera up the nose. He said my vocal chords were lazy because of it and prescribed 10mg Omeprazole twice a day and Gaviscon Advance 3 x 5ml a day for 6 weeks. ( I had previously been on 2 x 20mg Omeprazole!)
My chest feels like it has a brick weighing on it most of the time, I burp when I wake up in a morning and most things I eat make me uncomfortable. Have just had some greek yoghurt and my chest is hurting! I don't drink alcohol or eat fatty foods.

Am just having an HRT break after being on it for a year to see if that makes any difference, not sure if it could be the Utrogestan or its just coincidence.
I have been on Omeprazole for a few years on and off , being constantly anxious doesn't help either! I've never heard of Famotidine, is this better than Omeprazole?
I guess it won't be long before I need an endoscopy after the ENT 6 week period of meds if things don't improve, I'm really not looking forward to that!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »

Stick with what your Consultant suggests Julia Dizzy?  Use what has been prescribed religiously ...... do you sleep slightly raised to prevent reflux?  Difficult as I always slide sideways  ::)

Do you get 'the cough', that's what sent me to the GP  :-\ a constant throat clearing  >:(

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »

Yes I will CLKD, - no I don't sleep raised, I too slip down and sleep on my left side. I try not to eat 3 hours before bed.
Yep, constant throat clearing to get rid of thick mucus feeling and hoarse voice, post nasal drip etc ....and apparently I snore now...jeeez. It seems like my throat needs to clear a burp all the time!

I have an ultrasound appt for my throat next Monday so will see what transpires from that. Keep taking the meds😕

sorbet

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:47:47 AM »

Hi Julia ,
I have awful bouts of gastritis , it’s silent reflux in my case but it feels like my chest is being crushed and I lose my voice. An endoscopy showed sore red patches and I was prescribed Omeprazole. I take it , along with Rennies when I have an attack. I used to love Pepcid AC , it worked instantly but I think it was taken off the market. I’ve also got Ranatadine . I hope you’re feeling better x

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »

I know this is a bit 'alternative' but I have noticed a big improvement in my digestion since taking digestive enzymes before my evening meal.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »

Hi Julia ,
I have awful bouts of gastritis , it’s silent reflux in my case but it feels like my chest is being crushed and I lose my voice. An endoscopy showed sore red patches and I was prescribed Omeprazole. I take it , along with Rennies when I have an attack. I used to love Pepcid AC , it worked instantly but I think it was taken off the market. I’ve also got Ranatadine . I hope you’re feeling better x

I hope you don't take the omeprazole at the same time as rennies? Have you had a follow-up to make sure the ulceration (sore red patches) has gone?

Taz  x

sorbet

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »

Hi Taz ,

I don’t take them together. They did a biopsy on the soreness and said they’re inflammation from the acid . x

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 03:08:46 PM »

Yes the same thing happened to me but I had to have a follow up after 3 months to make sure the ulceration had gone, which it had, then they reduced my ppi to 20mg. I've been trying to get it down to 10mg but the symptoms come back. I was found to have a hiatus hernia too so have to take it daily.

Taz x

sorbet

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »

Oh that’s horrible for you Taz , I was sure they’d tell me I had a hiatus hernia but fortunately I haven’t.
I take Prednisilone, and Omeprazole is usually prescribed with it . It’s the only thing that completely stops when I’m having an attack. I’ve got Ranatadine but I’m a bit wary about taking it since having Covid .
It’s like you sort one thing , have some respite for a week, then the other problem is back , and back and forth it goes .
I’ll be a much happier person once this burning urethra is sorted. I’ve just put some live yoghurt down there, I’m taking probiotics , Vagifem later.
Now thinking about trying antibiotics again. Minds wandering, that’s unhelpful if I’ve got thrush . But it’s like the Sahara desert down there so no discharge or itching, just burning like a red hot chilli pepper .  One of those rocket ice lollies would help right now. xx

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 05:47:38 PM »

That sounds so uncomfy sorbet. I do hope you get some relief soon.

Taz x  :hug:

sorbet

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 05:57:23 PM »

Thanks Taz , it is horrible. I’ll hopefully get some relief when the Vagifem starts working. xx