Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Eye Flashes  (Read 1664 times)

Cassie

Eye Flashes
« on: August 24, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »

Hi ladies, hope you are all doing well.
I had the strangest experience earlier with my eyes and just wondering if its happened to anyone else.  We have a little room that is very sunny and bright, I went to sit in there and was on my phone, there is a kind of glazing on the windows and the sun was reflectingoff the glazing onto the floor and led to a kind of shimmering effect almost as if the floor had discoteque lights on it. When I walked into the living room again, which was darker I had flashes before my eyes they looked like lightning bolts, I found it quite alarming, it went on for about 20 minutes. I guess this was from the shimmering effect on the floor bouncing off, is this what they refer to as flashes, never had it before, made me feel a bit ill to be honest. I thought for a moment I was having a stroke but then I figured it had to do with the sunlight flickering on the floor as it happened instantaneously I entered that room. Very strange effect and gave me a bit of a headache, almost like a migraine effect. Its gone over now fortunately. I tried googling but cannot find much.

Sparrow

Re: Eye Flashes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »

Sounds like an optical migraine, but as Hasty said, you should get it checked to be sure.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »

Was it in both eyes?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »

The brain remembers what it sees so it may be a reaction from a light space to a dark room.  I have a new pair of glasses which catch light at the edge of vision and I also have head zaps at night ...........

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »

Cassie, I'm very sorry to hear that, it sounds like a migraine aura.   What you describe is very similar to my silent migraines which last about 25 minutes.   It sometimes starts with a blind spot (like a stuck floater) followed by shimmering, zig zaggy lines (scintillating scotoma) which eventually disappear at the top of the sight field.  I always feel spaced out afterwards but some people have a migraine type headache.

It's very scary but rarely anything to do your eyes although direct sunlight and glare can trigger it.

My silent migraines are caused by oestrogen surges and generic hormone instability and Utrogestan used to set them off.   Generally speaking, migraines with aura are caused by oestrogen spikes.   I know you use Oestrogel and Utrogestan on a long cycle - where are you in the cycle right now?

Do get your eyes tested but honestly, I doubt that is the problem.

Have you changed to a different brand of gel recently?   

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »

Thanks ladies, it lasted about 20 minutes in both eyes and then faded, did have a bit of a dull headache after, but nothing since. No changes or anything significant, pretty sure it had to do with the sunlight flickering on the floor, started the moment, I went into the room.
Will try to get an appointment.

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

Cassie, I had something similar during lockdown.  Was sitting watching TV and kept noticing flashes of light in the outer corner of my right eye plus a new large floater appeared.  Freaked me out to be honest.  Because my optician wasn't open I thought I'd see how it went.  Four weeks later it was still happening so got an opticians appointment the following day.  He confirmed it was due to the new floater and said it should eventually settle as the brain gets used to the floater and learns to compensate.  Still waiting! 

I would get it checked out as it can be a symptom of a detached retina.  Best to be sure.

I have been having the exact same thing. I went to the optician to get my eye checked out and was told it should take 4-6 weeks, but could be longer so everything crossed it's the shorter time.

Jessicaponies

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »

I have had this too and my GP put it down to the fact that I suffer from migraines.