Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Apparent water shortages  (Read 1210 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Apparent water shortages
« on: August 10, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »

Hundreds of homes in the South East have little or no running water as temperatures continue to exceed 30C.
South East Water said about 300 properties in West Sussex were experiencing issues due to an "unprecedented amount of usage".
Tankers have been brought in to inject water directly into pipes, and bottled water stations have been set up.
The company has urged people to avoid the use of hoses and reserve tap water for drinking, washing and cooking.
Steve Andrews, head of central operations for South East Water, said dedicated teams were working "round the clock to treat and pump record-breaking amounts of water" into the network.

We cannot be short of water we live on an Island  :bang: what we are short of is intelligent water companies who since 1975 and 76 have made very little effort to ensure water storage facilities.  They bang on about having to limit water use but still allow LAs to build more housing estates.  With dishwashers, at least 2 cars per household, hose pipes ......... and of course the Water Companies benefit as do the LAS.

We had RAIN++ late last year and over winter, places were flooded.  I learnt recently that millions of tonnes of stored water is released from the Wash Marshes most Winters.  It is stored on the flood plain, built in the 1700s, as part of the drainage system of the Dukes of Bedford.  Why in all these Centuries have governments not thought ahead and made provision?  Farmers are allowed, under licence of course, to take water for irrigation from the Fenland rivers.  Probably the same in Somerset.  Farmers should of course have built storage lakes as in parts of France so that water can be diverted for future usage.

I am fed up with being the end user who is told not to use what we pay for!  My garden is my sanctuary and I put the hose over the plant roots when necessary.  I also top up my ponds.  To read the above headlines year after year makes my Blood BOIL!