Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: STATINS Atorvastatin  (Read 4306 times)

Sparrow

Re: STATINS Atorvastatin
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »

My cholesterol is about the same as yours, but my GP surgery does not encourage statins also.

To be honest I worry more about BP as it was a little on the high side awhile back,  but not enough for medication.  Hence the weight loss plan. 

Statins are a money spinner and there are more and more doctors who are questioning their use.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:06:15 PM by Shadyglade »

annieb

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »

KAtejo - My cholesterol level was around 6.5 for years and no mention of statins . It's just when it went to over 7 and then within twelve months to over 8 despite inprovements in my diet that GP referred my to the consultant

Cheese definitely off the list according to the dietician (I love cheese but have been avoiding it for some time after my Mum was told to avoid it due to high cholesterol)
Am really in a quandry about how to proceed - Mum and sister-in -law have both been on statins for some years with no problems so was hoping I'd be OK
Looking at what Julia dizzy wrote maybe it's that particular one as Mum & s-i-l are both on different types
I've changed my diet considerably over the last few years and do eat healthily now and dietician couldn't find anything really wrong with what I was eating. Statins seemed to be the only answer as very concerned that if I don't do something now my cholesterol will just keep increasing
Think I'll ring the GP tomorrow and see what's happening as have still not heard anything from the consultant

annieb

Re: STATINS Atorvastatin UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »

As promised here's the latest on my Statins
Mentioned that I stopped taking the Atorvastatin as they made me feel so awful.  Was prescribed very low dose of Rosuvastatin (5mg every other day).  Have taken now for 3 months with no side effects and had a blood test about 10 days ago. Had a telephone appointment with the consultant today (such a great idea as it saves a 24 mile round trip to the hospital for what was a 10 minute conversation!).  My cholestrol has gone down from 8.1 to 6.5 and HDL has increased which is she was looking for.  I'm really pleased - she wants the cholestrol down a little more so has suggested I take 5mg each day from now on . Then we'll see how it goes in another 3 months
Quite relieved that these are working as both she and the dietician have agreed that it isn't caused by any failing in my diet so most like inherited.
Not keen on taking tablets and of course there are conflicting views on the benefits/effects of statins but made the  mistake of Googling what excess cholestrol can do to you so think it's worth the risk (if there is one?)
Will let you all know in 3 months time is there is any further improvement

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »

Tnx for the update.  DH and I have had no problems with Atrovastin but some suffer with aches and pains. 

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »

Mentioned that I stopped taking the Atorvastatin as they made me feel so awful.  Was prescribed very low dose of Rosuvastatin (5mg every other day).  Have taken now for 3 months with no side effects and had a blood test about 10 days ago. Had a telephone appointment with the consultant today (such a great idea as it saves a 24 mile round trip to the hospital for what was a 10 minute conversation!).  My cholestrol has gone down from 8.1 to 6.5 and HDL has increased which is she was looking for.  I'm really pleased - she wants the cholestrol down a little more so has suggested I take 5mg each day from now on . Then we'll see how it goes in another 3 months
Quite relieved that these are working as both she and the dietician have agreed that it isn't caused by any failing in my diet so most like inherited.
Not keen on taking tablets and of course there are conflicting views on the benefits/effects of statins but made the  mistake of Googling what excess cholestrol can do to you so think it's worth the risk (if there is one?)

Here is an update for me. I reluctantly agreed to try them a few weeks ago and was given Atorvastatin. I haven't had any ill effects (apart from body aches on the 1st couple of days). I haven't yet done a follow up blood test but need to very soon. I have the forms but need to wait about a couple more weeks. i was told that the increased cholesterol might be contributing to my slightly reduced kidney function and that is why I reluctantly agreed to try it.
5mg every other day sounds very low. Mine is 20mg each day. I just can't give up cheese. It is one of my favourites. I use the argument of "i could live on lettuce leaves and still get run over by a bus!".  My overall diet is pretty healthy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »

We have an annual blood test to check levels.

Kathleen

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »

Hello ladies.

Katejo  - when I stopped eating animal products I really missed cheese but fortunately I like the vegan alternatives though they are not ideal if you want to reduce fat intake as they are made from coconuts.

Btw I understand that cheese contains a form of morphine which explains why it can be so hard to resist and even addictive for some people!

Wishing you well.

K.

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »

Hello ladies.

Katejo  - when I stopped eating animal products I really missed cheese but fortunately I like the vegan alternatives though they are not ideal if you want to reduce fat intake as they are made from coconuts.

Btw I understand that cheese contains a form of morphine which explains why it can be so hard to resist and even addictive for some people!

Wishing you well.

K.
I am not addicted. I have plenty if meals without cheese but just love the flavours.

Sparrow

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »

Here is an update for me. I reluctantly agreed to try them a few weeks ago and was given Atorvastatin. I haven't had any ill effects (apart from body aches on the 1st couple of days). I haven't yet done a follow up blood test but need to very soon. I have the forms but need to wait about a couple more weeks. i was told that the increased cholesterol might be contributing to my slightly reduced kidney function and that is why I reluctantly agreed to try it.
5mg every other day sounds very low. Mine is 20mg each day. I just can't give up cheese. It is one of my favourites. I use the argument of "i could live on lettuce leaves and still get run over by a bus!".  My overall diet is pretty healthy.

Had you taken a look at any other medication you are taking.  There are quite a few that can affect kidney function, when taken regularly.

I must say that I have never heard of cholesterol harming kidneys before.  Mine is always higher than the recommended but my kidney function is good.

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »

Had you taken a look at any other medication you are taking.  There are quite a few that can affect kidney function, when taken regularly.

I must say that I have never heard of cholesterol harming kidneys before.  Mine is always higher than the recommended but my kidney function is good.
My only other medications  are ones which I have been taking for many years (over 45).

silverstar

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »

Hi there,
I have very high cholesterol, 8.9 without statins. I was referred to a consultant and had genetic testing to determine whether or not I had familial hypercholesteremia, but the test was inconclusive as they couldn’t find the gene. So they decided I have a form of inherited high cholesterol, but more benign than FH. Several members of my family have it too, but the curious thing Is that they are all long lived with no early heart disease or strokes. I was put on Atorvastatin but had bad side effects, so tried Rosuvastatin and am fine with that. Rosuvastatin is expensive apparently and that is probably why cheaper drugs like Atorvastatin are used first.
I was told that anyone with cholesterol above 7.5 should be tested for FH, but I live in Wales, so things may be different in England.

Sparrow

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »

Hi there,
I have very high cholesterol, 8.9 without statins. I was referred to a consultant and had genetic testing to determine whether or not I had familial hypercholesteremia, but the test was inconclusive as they couldn’t find the gene. So they decided I have a form of inherited high cholesterol, but more benign than FH. Several members of my family have it too, but the curious thing Is that they are all long lived with no early heart disease or strokes. I was put on Atorvastatin but had bad side effects, so tried Rosuvastatin and am fine with that. Rosuvastatin is expensive apparently and that is probably why cheaper drugs like Atorvastatin are used first.
I was told that anyone with cholesterol above 7.5 should be tested for FH, but I live in Wales, so things may be different in England.

It doesn't surprise me at all that your family has had no problems with CVD.  The link between CVD and High cholesterol is now being hotly disputed.  That's why Statins do lower cholesterol but have little impact on death rates.

I can send you some links if you want them.

annieb

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »

Interesting to see that someone else had the issue with Atorvastatin (silverstar).  I was quite surprised when consultant dropped the dose from 20mg of Astorvastatin to only 5mg of Rosuvastatin.  however it has worked so pleased about that.  I think my body must just absorb things more quickly as years ago I was on very very  low dose of antidepressants which GP thought really shouldn't be making any difference but they did. At the time I though maybe it was more of placebo effect - maybe it's the same with Statins???
Anyway did read through the links that Shadyglade sent me some months ago and did consider whether to take the Statins based on that evidence. Came to the concclusion that I wasn't prepared to take the risk of  CVD whilst there was still a possible link to high cholestrol. Saw what it did to my father-in-law and wouldn't wish that on anyone
Not heard about a link to kidney issues so  Did a quick google and it seems that if you have problems with your kidneys then high cholestrol can make it worse . 
Oh well - Mum is 90 she has high cholestrol, high blood pressure - both regulated with medication for the past 10 years - so there is hope for us all.  I think her secret is a sunny outlook and having lots of family and friends around here ( social distanced of course  :) )
Pages: 1 [2]