Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT & Thunderclap Headache ...  (Read 1093 times)

Slanham

• First Flush
HRT & Thunderclap Headache ...
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »

Hi there.  Am 53 - postmenaupsal (3yrs) and started HRT Evorel 25 patches and 1 x 10mg Provera tab a day 6 months ago. Mainly for very erratic low mood and terrible joint pain with the occasional hot flush.  I was getting along fine and feeling 100% better in every way.   3 weeks ago I suffered what they called a Thunderclap headache and I have to go to A&E - get tested for aneurysm due to family history.  Long story short I'm fine but the last consultant I saw said to me that HRT can 'cause headaches' .... I hadn't had any headaches until this episode.  As a result I've come off my HRT for fear that this is what caused it.  My Doctor was sceptical but said she could tell that I was nervous about staying on HRT .... Now 4 weeks later feeling stiffness returning, hot flushes and low mood I REALLY want to go back on HRT but cant find any research or advice anywhere.... it all relates to Migraine which is not what I had.    I would really appreciate it if anyone here has any experience of this or advice ....  Thank you   :)

Slanham

• First Flush
Re: HRT & Thunderclap Headache ...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »

I guess it's just me then!  ;D
I've decided - on the basis of lack of any information linking HRT & Thunderclap headaches to go back on today.  If it was a 'thing' there would be more info...   Can't wait for my estrogen levels to go back up - it's been a very marked decline since I stopped.   :)

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »

Slanham, sorry you didn't get any replies.   I would definitely continue with the HRT but I wonder if your regime is progesterone heavy.   The progesterone component of HRT is often responsible for migraines and headaches so if you have symptom relief on the 25mcg patch, could you reduce the progesterone dose to 5mg?  You would need to have regular TVS uterine scans but that is no bad thing because it checks overall womb health.

Slanham

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 02:49:37 PM »

Thanks MaryG. Definitely going to go back on.   :)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:48:08 PM »

Might be worth putting migraine in the search box. There have been posts but I haven't taken much notice as it's something I don't get. It seems a bit unlikely that it's caused by hrt as you were on it for 6 months without them. Usually if you have a problem with progesterone you'd know about it much sooner.