Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Undecided about HRT  (Read 1162 times)

NannyOgg

• First Flush
Undecided about HRT
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »

Hi all  hope everyone is well and staying safe in these strange days.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to how to move forward. I tried a cyclical hrt, which ended in disaster as my mood went wild and had a reaction to one of the compounds so I've been on a low dose of Sertraline for over a year, which has been great.

Now though I'm finding it isn't quite hitting the mark and my moods are getting worse again, although not as bad as previously. Hot flushes don't bother me but my joints are becoming a lot more achy and in general feel very bleurghhh! Obviously the lockdown won't have helped and with 2 young kids too. I just can't decide whether to just up my Sertraline dosage or chat to the doctor about trying a different HRT. I do still have periods but they are all over the show.

Any thoughts ladies?
Nanny O

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Undecided about HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »

Up the Sertraline dose for 3 weeks and see if it helps lift the mood. R they cylical?  In the mean time decide which symptom you would like to ease first.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Does a pain relief help? 

HRT can ease some symptoms so it's a bit of a Mine Field. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:57:40 PM »

Hi NannyOgg

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough and you're right, lockdown won't have helped! What a pity your doc gave you sertraline instead of trying to help you to find an HRT which suited you better! ADs are not indicated as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms.

I most definitely would not increase the dosage of this and rather try to wean off if you can, and wish to, and at the same time yes chat to your doc about trying to find a different type of HRT which could be started as you wean off the ADs. Can you remind us of where you are in menopause, how old you are, what your periods were doing, which HRT you tried etc? Hopefully we can help so that you are better informed when you go to the doctor?

Hurdity x

NannyOgg

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:01:33 PM »

Thanks for the replies folks. It's no easy answer is it?

Unfortunately Hurdity I can't remember what the HRT was it was such a fair time ago. In my GPs favour he was very encouraging about HRT and it was him who let me know about this site.

It was me who chose to go for Sertraline instead after the reaction to the HRT and how my moods felt even worse. He did say that I can reconsider any time at all and there were lots of different avenues to try.

I've just turned 46. My periods can be anything between a 28 day gap to a 90 day gap, so pretty erratic. This has all been going on for about 2 years.