Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Flu-like symptoms during perimenopause  (Read 11401 times)

jackelburger

Flu-like symptoms during perimenopause
« on: July 09, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »

Hi there,
This is my first post but have found this forum so useful and informative!  I am 52 and have probably been having some peri-menopause symptoms for around 5 years but more intensely for the last 3.  I am having periods every 6 months now and they are very light.   I'm managing without HRT at the moment but have not ruled it out.   One thing I keep experiencing is a really run down flu-like feeling that seems to occur around the time my period would be due if I was having them regularly.  I know joint and muscle aches are common but I also feel viral (exactly like I do when I'm about to get ill).  I've only really started monitoring when it occurred since lockdown (as I kept convincing myself I had Covid!)   Then I started to notice a pattern.   Has anybody else experienced this? 

Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flu-like symptoms during perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 06:15:46 PM »

Hi!

I can relate in a way, that when I was given 'tamoxifen' 36 hours after the first tablet I felt as though I was going down with the 'flu, I felt awful.  So definitely 4 me it was hormonal. 

Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy, forwarned is forearmed  ;)

jackelburger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »

Thanks CLKD.   Yes VA was the reason I searched out this website!   Never knew anything about it previously and it seems so common but really helpful information on here. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »

Keep browsing  ;D - we talk about menopause sometimes  ::)

Ellen May

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 07:41:55 AM »

I have just posted the exact same thing on another thread!

I think I only really noticed these symptoms during lockdown as they are so similar to Covid-19. Mine do seem to tie in with my cycle and have been tested twice already, once in April and once in May. I keep a record of my cycle due to peri issues but didn't record June as it seemed to to start and stop so quickly with no issues. However I am due agin this week so maybe that is why I am feeling rough again.

I did go on nhs111 yesterday and it advised me to book a test for Covid today but I can't bring myself to test yet again when I am hardly going out anywhere and numbers are incredibly low in our area.

This morning though it dawned on me that it might be peri menopause related symptoms rather than Covid so will wait a few days to see. My cheeks feel as though they are on fire but they don't feel hot to touch and don't look any different to usual...

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 08:40:10 AM »

Every little niggle that I've had since lockdown .......... "could it be C-19?"  >:(.  So far.  Nope.  Hormones, more likely  ::)

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

I can relate to this, and many times have been on the couch, feeling a bit poorly, as if I'm about to go down with something, flu-ish, etc, and then the next day it's lifted and then it may come back or it may go for days or a week(s) and then return. 

I put it down to the busy world we are in and so many viruses out there, and thinking I'm just shaking most of them off after a few symptoms, but now you are making me wonder.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »

? hormones ? 

Baby

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »

Yes. This is how I feel, like I have the flu most days. :'(

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 05:42:43 PM »

Have you had full blood count recently including thyroid function?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 05:51:35 PM »

I feel like this too, have good days and bad days. I do use a thermometer really to calm me down when the temperature reading is normal. Problem being recently for some strange reason my temperature has risen and is now often now over 37. Now I know that's my new normal I don't panic so much!

Baby

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »

Yes clkd had blood done. My thyroid was 2.5 I think but they only test the tsh on the NHS. I take 25 levothyroxine because it was 5.5 twelve months ago. I do wonder about my thyroid though. I eat four large meals a day as I was losing weight all the time and am still only eight and a half stone at five foot seven. Have always been slim was about nine and a half stone. But doc says it's the anxiety causing my loss of weight.