Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie, age 66, noticed a litlte bit of blood  (Read 1194 times)

Bethany

• First Flush
Newbie, age 66, noticed a litlte bit of blood
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:21:18 PM »

Hi, I am new in here but wanted to ask what is considered as bleeding? i know that sounds stupid, but I am 66 yrs old and just recently I have noticed that occasionally when i wipe there is a little bit of blood, and in the loo there is a tiny bit of mucus type stuff tinged with blood. It doesn't discolor the water in the bowl, and then when i go next time there is nothing. I haven't bled into my pants or had to wear a pad, but  I keep hearing about people bleeding and just wondered how much blood is classed as "bleeding". I suffer with anxiety and almost every ad on tv is "any bleeding could be cancer" and the anxiety comes over me in waves. My health is generally ok, although I am a tad overweight.

Taz2

Re: Newbie, age 66, noticed a litlte bit of blood
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »

Hi Bethany. It could be that you have something as simple as a polyp which can bleed slightly so try not to be too anxious. I do feel that you should mention this to your GP as, although it's only a slight trace of blood, it is still a new symptom for you and you do need to rule out anything which may need treatment. Are you on any HRT and is your cervical smear up to date?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »

I had a polyp for years which bled on contact, went away at peri  ::).

I would get your practice nurse to have a look-see - it may be a small tear due to vaginal atrophy, oh the joys: do read our threads  ;)

:welcomemm: to the wonderful world  ;) browse round, join in!

Bethany

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »

Sorry if this the wrong place but i dont know how to reply to messages

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »

Hi you're fine: you're there.  Personal messages - U have to have been here a while in order to reply ;-)

Bethany

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »

i just clicked on quick reply, but i dont know who i am replying to

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:19 PM »

You are replying to all of us who have responded to your first post. Your post began a "thread" and when you click "reply" or "quick reply" it adds on to the thread. If you look at the top of the page under Menopause Matters Forum you will see your forum name and then "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts". If you click on the "Show new replies" it will take you to any new replies to your post. It's a quick way of finding your way back to your post. I bet that's as clear as mud! ;D

Taz x  :)

Bethany

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »

If i can be a bit more specific, this isn't the first time this has happened, its happened on and off for the last couple of years. i have no other symptoms, and my last smear was normal. when i wipe i notice a bit of pink, and in the bowl there will be a tiny bit of mucus with a blood in it. Its not like i am bleeding and the water never turns red, I have never bled on to my pants and never use pads. It happens once then every time after for weeks there is nothing. I do have a condition called Morphea, which is like lichen sclerosus, and that causes itching down below and a rash too, which makes it very difficult for me going to see a doctor. (my doctor is male). I dont think my anxiety is helping at the moment, with covid restrictions too it all seems a bit too much for me.
PS Thanks Taz just seen your reply, I am sure i pick it up...eventually

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »

Your condition may be the cause of this then and you could have developed vaginal atrophy too. I too am 66 and have to use a topical HRT to keep my vaginal tissues healthy. Is there a female doctor you can ask about this? Do you have to use any specific treatment for the Morphea?

Taz x

Bethany

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »

There is no female doctors at our surgery anymore, I am not sexually active anymore, hubby is a bit older, (overrated anyway lol)so thats  not causing it. I just use betnovate cream when it flares up and that eases it. I just keep seeing the term "bleeding" and Cancer! but no where says how much blood is classed as bleeding. So when i see a tiny amount my anxiety goes into overdrive. Then i hear of women having to change their pads 3/4 times a day and for several days so that is not like me...

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »

Can you check the information online about your condition? This may mention slight shows of blood as being part and parcel of it. It might put your mind at rest to just have a phone chat with the doctor as it is obviously causing you some anxiety. Was your last smear painful - this can be a sign of atrophy which can lead to the type of bleeding you are experiencing. I just know that any bleeding post-meno should be mentioned to your GP and my advice is still to do that. I know it's not easy to discuss these things with a male doctor (I'm 66 too) but you shouldn't let that put you off. You can then put it to the back of your mind again rather than probably worrying every time you go to the loo that you are going to find another little show of blood. Well that's what I would be like anyway. Please consider contacting your GP and let us know how you get on?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 06:18:00 AM »

Believe me GPs and Nurses have seen it all.  Is there a Nurse in the Practice who could have a look-see to check.  Certainly read our threads about vaginal atrophy and then ask the Nurse if 'ovestin' or 'vagifem' would aggravate your condition.  No point leaving it, in case it worsens.  It may be a simple tear due to vaginal tissues being dry.

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »

Hello Bethany and welcome to the forum.

I see that Morphea is an auto immune disease which possibly explains the mucous as your immune system is working overtime.  It is the inflammation that you need to control so you may need to use a different cream to get back into remission.

I think a visit to your GP is required. I understand it can be difficult to discuss this area of your body with your doctor but they really have seen it all before so there is no need to be embarrassed.

Wishing you well and let us know how you get on.

K.

Bethany

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »

Thank you all for replies x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 06:21:36 PM »

Let us know how you get on.