Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What to do with my old dog who needs teeth pulled  (Read 3587 times)

Whatsupwiththis

What to do with my old dog who needs teeth pulled
« on: June 28, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »

My old fella is going on 14 but needs major dental work.  The cost is outrageous but he is a family member so money is just paper.  The problem is putting him under for this procedure.  I have been searching about anesthesia in older dogs and appears fairly safe but I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.  He is in pain😢

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What to do with my old dog who needs teeth pulled
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »

Usually after the age of 9 years there is a blood test to make sure that the kidneys can deal with the anasethtic.  [pity I can't spell  >:(].  Do ring the Surgery tomorrow and discuss.  It doesn't take long and my cat: aged 17 : had several removed.  She rushed in after I got her home and gobbled up dinner like there was no tomorrow!  Of course.  I worried.  A lot  :-\.  But I have had tooth ache and no way could I let her remain in pain.

Is he well in himself?  Get them to give a deep dental clean at the same time ......... what's the cost?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »

Thx CLKD.  Cost CDN $1,362 (for starters).    He does have hip problems and this causes him grief as well.  Overall he is in good health (fingers crossed).  I just am concerned at his age anesthesia can do serious harm.  I am beside myself with worry but can't deal seeing him in so much pain.  Was it worth it for your kitty?  Would you do it again knowing the complications?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »

Yep.  and Yep.  Having had severe period pains for many years, plus dental pain ....... then neuralgia : no way would I leave a pet in pain.  Anaesthesia is so much improved these days.  I always made sure that I said 'goodbye' in case  ;).  The hardest part was 'starved after midnight'  ;D when they were used to supper.

There is a UK Product - Metacam - which our Vets prescribe for joint pain.  Drops onto the food according to the weight of the pet.  It made a huge difference to my cocker at the age of 10. 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:58:38 PM »

I don't think you have much choice. You can't leave him in pain so it's either PTS or get it done. Dogs are regularly put under GA and you don't hear of many disasters. Might be worth asking if they'd do it under a local though I'd expect not. If it's any consolation I spent ?2500 on mine with a life expectancy of 6 months (bone cancer) but she's still here after 18. Enjoy your dog's old age, mine is unlikely to make it there.
Metacam - yes, I think vets have shares in the manufacturer. It doesn't matter what species or what condition they always seem to prescribe Metacam.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »

Forgot to say my old dog went under to remove cancerous lumps. Survived the op fine but the cancer got her. Unsure of age as she was a rescue but definitely old.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 07:58:21 PM »

Metacam and another pain relieving drug are prescribed.  They work which is why they are suggested.  When she underwent chemotherapy she had to stop the Metacam due to it affecting the absorption of the chemicals.  The other drug, name escapes me  :-\, has side effects though ? Rimadyl ? but she did OK with it.

Let us know how you get on.  The Vet should suggest that there is a blood test for kidneys prior to GA.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »

They give you metacam for sheep with a prolapse too.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:09 PM »

:o.  How does that work?  Weigh the sheep first  ::) ......... to relieve pain in the muscles?  Does it work? 

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »

Thx so much ladies.  He is taking Medicam but doing nothing.   I am so sorry to all of you.  My heart breaks...yes he will have full blood work.  Thx again for the reassurance.  It's so hard on them and of course us pet moms.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »

It's an anti inflammatory too CLKD so it's supposed to reduce the swelling so the sheep is less likely to keep pushing it out. It worked for the latest one but made no difference  to last year's.
I hope it goes well Whatsupwiththis.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:53 AM »

They feel pain.  They don't worry about a GA or treatment.  Some don't like going to the Vet Surgery but it's for their own good  ;).  I was the World's most Neurotic Dog Owner ever  :'( she sneezed we were at the door; she coughed .........  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »

Any news?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »

Surgery scheduled for July 17.  In the meantime my sweet old boy is on a ton of pain killers.  Vet assured me my boy will make it through.  A part of me is relieved and a part of me is petrified but that's life.  Thx for asking.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »

Was the blood test offered, if not, maybe ask for it?  It shows kidney function in aged pets and is a guide as to how the anaesthetic might affect them.

Is it tablets, gel or liquids as pain relief?  When mine had chemo therapy, thinly sliced ham was the thing she would eat with a pill wrapped in.  I did try sausage but too many made her sick up the tablet which I wasn't supposed to handle  ::).  Cheese did the same.  Sometimes I would find the pill under the radiator and wonder which day she had managed to spit it out!

:hug:
Pages: [1] 2 3