Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone been to North Cyprus?  (Read 1333 times)

Penguin99

Anyone been to North Cyprus?
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:24:10 PM »

Hi all, next year is my 50th birthday & my 30th wedding anniversary  :ola: we were originally looking to go to Bermuda, but unless prices come down I cant justify spending that much :o so our next thought is North Cyprus. We have been to cyprus a couple of times but not to the North ( hubby went in 74 as a teenager, when the war broke out! ) I wouldn't book anything until next year but just looking into options. Bermuda is still my first option,  looked at going last year and prices were much cheaper ::). Anyway I thought if anyone had travelled there and could say about the hotels they've stayed at in N Cyprus, also rough guide to prices of drinks etc, will probably book all inclusive but won't if its ?1 a pint :drunk: ;D
Any views appreciated

Sparrow

Re: Anyone been to North Cyprus?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:19:27 AM »

I have been but when I was 17, so not very relevant for you.  Check out TripAdvisor.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:31:04 AM by Shadyglade »

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »

Been to a lot of places but never there.  Have you considered the Caribbean?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:22:15 PM »

My friend in the RAF was stationed there to keep the Peace  ::) By the way, it's Northern Cyprus ;-)

Have a google maps search to check the various areas - flat, hilly, trees/none ........ check the language, food and health care availability.  Then go and report back ?

Congratulations too  :congrats:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:25:29 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »

Cyprus was placed under the UK's administration based on the Cyprus Convention in 1878 and was formally annexed by the UK in 1914. While Turkish Cypriots made up 18% of the population, the partition of Cyprus and creation of a Turkish state in the north became a policy of Turkish Cypriot leaders and Turkey in the 1950s.

Turkish leaders for a period advocated the annexation of Cyprus to Turkey as Cyprus was considered an "extension of Anatolia" by them; while, since the 19th century,[16][17] the majority Greek Cypriot population and its Orthodox church had been pursuing union with Greece, which became a Greek national policy in the 1950s.[18]

Following nationalist violence in the 1950s, Cyprus was granted independence in 1960.[19] The crisis of 1963?64 brought further intercommunal violence between Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots, which displaced more than 25,000 Turkish Cypriots into enclaves[20][21] and brought the end of Turkish Cypriot representation in the republic.

On 15 July 1974, a coup d''tat was staged by Greek Cypriot nationalists[22][23] and elements of the Greek military junta[24] in an attempt at enosis, the incorporation of Cyprus into Greece. This action precipitated the Turkish invasion of Cyprus on 20 July,[25] which led to the capture of the present-day territory of Northern Cyprus in the following month, after a ceasefire collapsed, and the displacement of over 150,000 Greek Cypriots[26][27] and 50,000 Turkish Cypriots.[28]

A separate Turkish Cypriot state in the north was established by unilateral declaration in 1983; the move was widely condemned by the international community, with Turkey alone recognising the new state. These events and the resulting political situation are matters of a continuing dispute.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »

There's more history on Wikipedia ........ I kind of remembered most of the above as I was of an age when it happened.

Penguin99

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 10:49:22 AM »

Thanks all. My husband was in Famagusta when the war broke out, they were stuck out there for  a few weeks! I know they use the turkish lira & not euro. Just wondered what prices were like out there.  Great to get info from someone who's been.  I wont be booking for quite a while yet, just gauging thoughts. We did look at Tobago, but I'm not sure  :-\ we wanted to go to Bermuda last year for my husband's birthday but I'd just had an operation and hubby started his infusions so we didn't go. Had a lovely few days in Jersey though :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:15 PM »

MayB look at tourist brochures or the countries web-sites?  Most give an idea of climate, bar prices etc..  Or find a Hotel on line and see what the web-site is like, I always look for the bathrooms first  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »

:thankyou:

Penguin99

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »

Thanks Rockhopper, we like the quieter places :) we r happy to sit with a drink & watch the world go by. We've never been to Turkey, my brother hated it but our friend loves it, so I guess you find out for yourself ;). It's nice to hear peoples experiences.  It doesn't seem as popular as southern Cyprus but that's changed massively,  was there last in November 17. The harbour does look lovely in Kyrenia.