Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Just read an article about Carol vorderman menopause  (Read 7397 times)

Jeepers

Re: Just read an article about Carol vorderman menopause
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 09:06:05 AM »

My menopause was 54, I actually thought this was the average... You live and learn !

Tc

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 11:58:37 AM »

Hiya Ladies.

I said in my post that I believe it's very important  to talk about mental health. And we know on our forum mental health in menopause is a huge issue for some of us.   I said that because I was aware of what Carol said about being suicidal. In fact she was specifically talking about that in the interviews. I too have been suicidal during menopause. In my experience once clinical depression sets in there is nothing I've tried that made me feel "back to myself" in 2 days. Hormones included.   Is that just me?  I fear not.

It might well be her experience but i feel it could be a damaging message to send out when it isnt balanced with more educated information.

Generally speaking I find much of what these celebs have to say is often just fatuous nonsense which I find totally irrelevant but when it comes to talking about serious issues which affect peoples lives then I think there should be more responsibility both from the individual and from the media platform which puts it out there.

If an individual has a public profile it can be used to raise awareness, to inspire others or even bring about change. I think there has been some excellent documentaries featuring celebs regarding mental health. 

But using your profile  to mislead others for financial gain or otherwise is another matter and  is plain wrong. When it's about a face cream it might not be that important. But when its about health including mental health it has the potential to be dangerous.

Xxx
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:01:02 PM by Tc »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »

Mental health is still pushed under the carpet  :-\ :'(

I have both clinical and organic depression: the 1st caused by situations that I can't alter and which bother me [My Mum] and organic when the brain doesn't get enough 'happy' chemical.  Fortunately appropriate medication keeps me, generally, well.  It did however take over 3 years to get anywhere near stable as most ADs made me so very very sick  :'(

I don't know how much menopause would have impacted on my mental health as I was taking medication since the 1980s. 

Emm225

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 06:31:57 PM »

I didn't get full on symptoms until 54 or so...altho looking back I had anxiety etc a bit...but had the mirena in so I think it masked a lot...until I had it out.  Then welcome Hot Drenching Sweats and full on sadness and anxiety!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »

Oh Emm .......... [Wizard of Oz "Em"?]  :hug:
Pages: 1 2 [3]