Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1125767 times)

Eddie

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #735 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

I've re-filled the coconut shells again, filled the peanut feeder and put out the nyger feeder, but i think i need to find somewhere a bit higher for it. Fresh water out too.
Eddie. x

allysonone

« Reply #736 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

Trey. What kind of a home do you have. Is it relatively old by U.S standards. Whats the weather like at the moment.Furthest south ive been is Florida for the millenium, and we had freak weather,icy cold with frost. A lot of the orange trees were damaged. The next time i went. We had to come home early because of hurricanes. Not had a lot of luck with it really. Presume you get hurricanes  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #737 on: November 26, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

Was watching a Place in the Sun etc. and they went to the US - some of those homes look fab., but not much outdoor space other than  a  pool .......

Trey

« Reply #738 on: November 26, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »

Hi Allysonone,  We have what is called a golf villa.  1700 square ft and the lot is narrow - something like 55 x 125.  Very, very small for the deep south.  The deep south is cheaper than most areas except where we live as Fairhope is quite well known and on Mobile Bay.  Some homes are 3 million USD.  Ours is about $260,000.  In California would be about $800,000.

Our back yard is small about 20 x 55, but we have a connected side yard is about 70 x 10 so our dogs run around the corner.  It is a zero lot line concept.  We own ten ft. on one side and ten inches on the other.  We have a wrought iron fence because we are not to block neighbors view of golf course.

Right now we have lots of brilliant cardinals, blue birds (three houses) and the gold finch and sparrows, doves, and one ornery mockingbird.  Expecting a storm so they are stocking up.

We had a very large home in California and a large home here, but they were too big and made no sense to us.  As we are now older we want small (3 bedrooms) so we can stay here and have help come in when the time comes.  Assisted living facilities are astronomically expensive ($3200. usd/month) for 500 square ft. for two.  We'd kill each other.  So we will pay for help when needed.  Also we have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks and they would not be allowed.

allysonone

« Reply #739 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »

Thats cheap by uk standards. It sounds lovely with all the wild life. Did you mention alligators.The house we live in we dont own. It cost our landlord £550000. Thats London for you and its not that flash. We just rent. :)

Cupcake

« Reply #740 on: November 26, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »

Well the little b*ggers! I looked out of the window, and despite having put a load of seed and peanuts out, there were about 20 sparrows helping themselves to my chard >:(. So I slid round the path and put fleece over it!

CLKD

« Reply #741 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »

:rofl:

Taz2

« Reply #742 on: November 27, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »

How ungrateful is that  ;D   Have you got water out too? They may have been eating the chard because of the high moisture content.

Taz x

Cupcake

« Reply #743 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »

I specially removed the ice from the birdbath and refilled it !

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #744 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »

I've topped up all my feeders today and the last few birds are out there now filling their bellies before bedtime!

It always interests me how some stuf I put out is gone in a flash and other stuff hangs around for ages.

I've got several big feeders with a good mixed feed in it and that's popular.  A massive feeder of Sunflower hearts and a few smaller ones and that just goes in a flash.  Peanuts I often end up throwing away because they get damp and mouldy.  Yet they're good quality  so I don't quite understand why they don't get eaten very much.

A week ago I bought a slab of suet with insects inside and there's about an inch of it left!  I also bought a half coconut (£3 something) stuffed with suet and bits and have barely seen a bird on it!

CLKD

« Reply #745 on: November 28, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »

It was -6 at 5.30 a.m.  :xmas: so the bird water was solid, I've not got 5 basins outdoors - 2 with water in and 3 empty; when the water freezes I top up the empty ones and tip out the solid ones.  The chooks enjoyed a drink of warm water for breakfast which I had put out for the wild birds, they must be fed up with icy-cold drink first thing too  ::) ... pied wagtail had 8 live meal worms just now, he hasn't been seen for months and appeared on Thursday.  It's going to be cold again tonight ....... [time for some Winter Smilies? ] ............

Taz2

« Reply #746 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »

Hi CLKD -  my pied wagtail appeared on Thursday too. I am usually lucky enough to have one of those from November to February each year. I thought he was going to be late and not make it until December!

How kind of you to give your birds warm water although warm water freezes quicker than cold but I can't remember why not being very scientific!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #747 on: November 28, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »

Oh will check with Hubby  ::) ........ it also means that I don't have to handle cold frozen water  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #748 on: November 28, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »

I have just got home from the pub and it is -7. I have brought in the bird feeders so that they have nice unfrozen seeds in the morning. All I have to do now is remember to put them back out again  ;D

Taz x

Cupcake

« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »

Our robin just hopped onto the windowledge in the lounge! He gave me the eagle eye! I shall send OH out with the seed  :D
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 423