Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1132926 times)

Eddie

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #675 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »

How much would these Droll yankee feeders cost?
Eddie. x

Taz2

« Reply #676 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »

Hang on will pm you x

Eddie

« Reply #677 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »

Thanks Taz, they look good, i think i may invest in one. I've been filling coconut shells for the birds but i'm only getting starlings, magpies and even pigeons. But i know there are loads of little birds about. Eddie. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #678 on: November 10, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »

Thanks - that dirty C.mas word means I can put 2 on my what to buy me List  ;)

Trey

« Reply #679 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »

Hi, I have the Droll Yankee Niger feeder with loads of perches and I have the one that drops the squirrels off, but it is a nuisance to clean and I have the one for cardinals and all the birds love it.  But my bluebirds love this old wooden, cheap, hard to clean feeder and take all their babies there so I have to keep it.  Have not seen my first goldfinch, but I am ready and feeder is full.  Just now getting cold in the deep south.  I get such a sense of peace when I lie in bed and watch my feeders just outside my window - some birds even sit on the window sill.

Cupcake

« Reply #680 on: November 10, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »

I've decided we need an owl box. We have a lovely old apple tree it could go on, and we have barn owls in the village.

Taz2

« Reply #681 on: November 10, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

Hi Cupcake - that's a lovely idea. If you want to attract Barn Owls you may be disappointed though as I don't think an apple tree would be anywhere near high enough. Have you checked out the Barn Owl Trust site? http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=42   

I am not sure about attracting other owls to your apple tree. I think that you may find it is too small for owls to be really happy to set up home there. They do like to be a long way from the ground - as I can testify from having to put owlets back in their holes on numerous occasions  ;D

Eddie - don't worry too much at the moment about the smaller birds - there is still quite a lot of natural food about. I have never had much success with the coconut shells to be honest. My birds love their breakfast each morning which consists of: Wholemeal bread crumbs, crumbled digestive biscuits, sultanas (soaked in water overnight) and grated cheese. In the winter I add shredded suet and all the table scraps (on a bird table). I also use a Robin and Blackbird mix from Jacobi Jayne which the blackbirds adore and wait, in the dark, each morning for there own little treat under the apple tree.

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #682 on: November 10, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »

Taz. I reockon that's why the little birds were here in the summer, plenty natural food, gave up on the hedgehog thought, i think i may actually put them at risk if i encouraged them in my garden, there are a few foxes etc about and not a lot of ground covering foliage. Eddie. x

Taz2

« Reply #683 on: November 10, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »

Hi Eddie - you don't have to worry about foxes with hedgehogs. Their only natural predator is the Badger whose lovely strong claws can uncurl and disembowel one very swiftly - as happened to one of mine the other year  :'(

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #684 on: November 10, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »

Do you need somewhere to hide the box on the ground?

CLKD

« Reply #685 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »

<waves to Trey> - our robin sits on the windowsill when he has a mate/youngsters on the nest and puts his head on one side for live meal worms  :-* - if I'm not quick enough he begins to sing .........

Deep South reminds me of Gone with the Wind, all those lovely floaty dresses ........ not much good for dog walking or riding a bike though  ;)

No gold finches yesterday when the day was fine but this morning it's AWFUL out there and 3 are back on the feeder!

Taz2

« Reply #686 on: November 11, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »

Glad your finches are back - I am watching for my first Siskin though they have been in decline the last few years.

How do you know it is the "daddy" Robin who comes to visit - it might be the "mummy"  :)

Eddie - this tells you about the hedgehog box. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/gardenwildlife/myspace/content.shtml?11   This does mention foxes as been a predator of hedgehogs but a fox would only be able to take a poorly hedgie who couldn't roll up in a ball tight enough.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #687 on: November 11, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

Because he has attitude when other robins nip in ...... this year we had 3 daddy robins in different parts of the garden: one at the front and 2 in the back and if one from the back nipped round to see what 1 at the front was being fed  :cuss:

Eddie

« Reply #688 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:28 AM »

Thanks Taz, I'll have a go. Eddie. x

CLKD

« Reply #689 on: November 11, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »

I will do a GOOGLE Earth search - if you stand outside your door and wave I'll wave back  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 423