Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1107660 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5400 on: March 15, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »

Curlews are on the red list. They are disappearing annually  :'(.  5 years ago we stayed at a farm near Huddersfield and heard them all day long.  The next year we went and there were less, the following we heard none at all. 

Kingfishers are special.  To see them in and out of a nest is special  8)

katsclaws

« Reply #5401 on: March 15, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »

It's sad that the number of curlews is declining. Two years ago the farmer cut the grass near to where they were nesting and they disappeared. We are so pleased that they have returned.

CLKD

« Reply #5402 on: March 15, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

OH!  I've read a book this year about curlews and how their habitat has disappeared.  Can't remember the author nor title ......

It's a bit like Councils that cut verges which are full of wild flowers  >:(

jaypo

« Reply #5403 on: March 15, 2021, 06:29:40 PM »

Just had a wonderful memory,when we lived on my grandpa's farm,when I was small,I'd go to bed and all I could hear were the curlews,absolute silence and just their calls

CLKD

« Reply #5404 on: March 15, 2021, 07:50:42 PM »

A sound that is fast disappearing  :'(

sheila99

« Reply #5405 on: March 16, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »

A silence that has disappeared even faster  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5406 on: March 16, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

Certainly traffic doesn't seem to have stopped as it did 12 months ago in the first lockdown.  However: this morning the sparrows were chattering noisily, no distancing in the hedge rows ;-)

Off to feed my blackbirds - again  8)

daska86

« Reply #5407 on: March 19, 2021, 09:37:29 PM »

Loads of sparrows nest foraging at my daughter's house, but we have no signs despite a garden with shrubs trees and nest boxes. They come to feed but obviously don't fancy moving. in.

CLKD

« Reply #5408 on: March 20, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »

If they feed in your garden, they probably nest in the wild. 

Our male siskins won't allow the female to feed this morning  >:( - looks like I need to put more sunflower heart feeders around the plot  ::).  Blackbirds are feeding 4 punks .......... robin nags every time I set foot out the back door for meal worms  8)

Taz2

« Reply #5409 on: March 20, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »

Do you have sparrow nest boxes daska? They often have a larger hole than the ones for tits and they like to be as close to the eaves of the house as possible I think. You can buy sparrow terraces which are three boxes joined together. Have a google.

Our blackbirds are only just finishing their nest let alone tending to fledglings CLKD! We must be well behind you here in the South. I'll tell ours to get a move on  ;D

Taz x

daska86

« Reply #5410 on: March 20, 2021, 09:25:39 PM »

Hi Taz2 yes I have a sparrow nesting box, a blue tit box and a robin box.We had a blackbird nesting in shrubbery a few years ago but nothing since. In the 20 years we've been here we've tried them on various sites in the garden. Birds have peeped inside but obviously don't like what they see. 😀

CLKD

« Reply #5411 on: March 20, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »

Which way do the boxes face?  They won't nest [usually] if they are going to get too hot.

DH made a sparrow terrace - taken over by 1 gt tit pair  ::) 4 the last 3 years.
The single box has blue tits in every year - these face North/East

One year a robin nested in a plastic sack that was filled with compost, how the cats never found that and another year, right in the back of the greenhouse - how the nestlings weren't roasted in their bed I don't know!

More spawn laid last night  :o even on top of the pond pump  ::)

daska86

« Reply #5412 on: March 21, 2021, 09:01:36 PM »

None of the boxes will get hot, they are all placed to avoid the sun . We're looking to downsize so perhaps we'll have better luck elsewhere

jaypo

« Reply #5413 on: March 24, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »

Did anyone read about that dog that savaged a seal pup by the Thames? It had to be put to sleep :'( yet again a dog under no control of it's owner

CLKD

« Reply #5414 on: March 24, 2021, 04:06:20 PM »

DH doesn't usually make a comment but he muttered "Dangerous Dogs Act, Dog out of control in a public place".  The owners looked horrified, I don't think that many are aware that most have a huge prey drive.  Problems across the UK even though we are in lock-down with sheep worrying  :'(

The seal looked stunned and must have been terrified.  I wonder if there will be a Police investigation or "It's only a seal" attitude?

A statement has been made:

A barrister says she is "heartbroken" after her dog attacked a popular seal known as Freddie Mercury.

The seal, named after the late Queen singer, had won the hearts of residents frolicking on the River Thames near Hammersmith Bridge in west London.

But after the attack on Sunday, vets decided to put the young pup down as his injuries were so serious.

Dog owner Rebecca Sabben-Clare QC said she "apologises unreservedly" and will not face charges over the incident.

In a statement, the commercial barrister said: "I am heartbroken by this terrible accident.

"As an animal lover, I fully understand the dismay that has been expressed."

She left the area once she had given her details to the Vet in attendance.  Nothing is mentioned about the breed of dog but it looks like a Patterdale-type ....... hard lesson learnt.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:18:59 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 422