Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 420

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1038976 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5355 on: January 30, 2021, 05:26:28 PM »

Yes they will fight to the death if they accidentally stray into another's tunnel network. I find them fascinating too. They work in four hour shifts. How do they know when the four hours is up? Four hours work...four hours sleep... four hours work...

This is interesting from the Tiggywinkles site.  "What do I do about a resident mole?

Molehills are thrown up only once, when the mole first moves in. As this soil is crumbly and weed-free it can easily be removed and used as a top dressing or sterile potting compost, saving some more of the gardening budget. Leave your resident mole alone and soon you will not even know he is there. If you get rid of the mole, you will find a new mole will move into the territory and throw up new mole hills as they dig new tunnels."

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5356 on: January 30, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »

My dog bought one home and I put it into the compost - Resident Head Gardner was less than impressed  ;D.  We put it into the bank at the back and it went away. 

jaypo

« Reply #5357 on: January 30, 2021, 06:45:57 PM »

Awww we'd never kill it but the lawn is now buckling and bowing when you walk on it,I did see on line,probes that must make a noise they don't like or something but I don't want to waste money if they don't work.
Thing is,at night,when we let the dogs out,the grass is alive with worms,when the light comes on,they all disappear quickly,so Mr mole has an abundance of food

CLKD

« Reply #5358 on: January 30, 2021, 08:40:25 PM »

Worms come up when it rains :-).  Also they will escape upwards if they sense a mole approaching.  No harm in trying rods down the runs, a steel slightly floppy one will do in each heap.  Those windmill thingies might work.

Taz2

« Reply #5359 on: January 30, 2021, 08:54:18 PM »

The way that mole tunnels work is that the mole makes the tunnels and the worms and beetles etc fall into them. The mole constantly patrols his tunnels and eats what's had the misfortune to fall in. Clever.

I love the way the worms all slither straight back down when I step on the grass on a rainy night.  ;D

In one of the articles it says that the heaps are made when a new mole moves in and makes new tunnels and once they're finished the heaps stop. If you get rid of a mole then a new one moves in and starts new tunnels so more heaps.  :-\

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #5360 on: January 30, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

They're active at this time of year while they're preparing for young. Later in the year they usually stop digging and just use the existing runs. You can get humane traps that don't kill them but I'm not sure it would survive if you let it loose somewhere else. I used to trap them as a bit of molehill will spoil an entire bale of silage but it isn't a nice death so I've turned a blind eye the last few years. My dog goes wild over new molehills but hasn't caught any. Think of mole runs as free drainage  :)

daska86

« Reply #5361 on: January 30, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »

Our old fox terrier used to go mad for moles. He would start digging and biting chunks out of their runs until he ended up with impacted mud under his tongue which we had to get out. We literally had to drag him away or he'd be there all day.
I was right about the birds for Birdwatch today, so cold and wet literally no birds on the feeders and very few in the garden.Hoping for better tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #5362 on: January 30, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »

;D. my dog used to put her jaw up to me so that I cleaned the mud out of her gob  ;D. ..... then she would go back to dig. 

jaypo

« Reply #5363 on: January 31, 2021, 10:11:20 AM »

Thanks for all the info,really interesting.
The worms we see every night,whether raining or not,the sensor light comes on when we go out and all you see is thousands of worms,wriggling around and disappearing into the earth,our little dog goes crazy trying to chase them all but what you said about ....if there's a mole about,that will make them come to the surface,would make sense.

CLKD

« Reply #5364 on: January 31, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »

Can she see worms in the dark  :o.

jaypo

« Reply #5365 on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »

Not dark clkd,outside light comes on,the grass looks alive with them all

CLKD

« Reply #5366 on: January 31, 2021, 02:18:37 PM »

AAAhhh ......... have you tried feeding her so that she doesn't have to forage  ;)

jaypo

« Reply #5367 on: January 31, 2021, 06:26:59 PM »

Haha,she chases EVERYTHING that moves

CLKD

« Reply #5368 on: February 10, 2021, 02:45:59 PM »

Our blue tit with long top beak is back  :-*.  Feeding and drinking well.  No sign that the over growth bothers it.

jaypo

« Reply #5369 on: February 10, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »

Our bird feeders are super busy just now and I think we've beaten the crow situation.
Mr mole is still upsetting my OH  ;D we've so many hills on the grass,he took a big heavy hammer to them yesterday and was cursing whilst he patted them all down.........there there dear,feel better do we  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 420