Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1099671 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5340 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »

Still loads of different species in my garden but thankfully no sightings of Mrs Sparrowhawk recently. I saw two beautiful goldcrests when I was out for my walk. Made up for getting caught out by a heavy shower  ;D

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #5341 on: January 28, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

Well my so called crow proof bird feeder had a big ass crow flapping on it today   >:( Not sure how much they can get as they can't get their heads through the metal bars,can't believe it,do know what else to try,anyone got a shotgun?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5342 on: January 28, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »

Air rifle do or borrow a  :scottie:

Our starling sits on the live meal worm wired feeder and rock backwards and forwards  >:(.  His friends wait below with white bibs and napkins ready to pounce!

jaypo

« Reply #5343 on: January 28, 2021, 07:44:30 PM »

Birds are so clever  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5344 on: January 29, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »

Yep.  It's we humans that mess up the World  >:(

jaypo

« Reply #5345 on: January 29, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »

Funny,was just saying this to OH yesterday too,humans have ALWAYS interfered in nature and ALWAYS mess it up for the animal  :'(
After saying that,any hints on how to persuade a mole to leave the garden  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5346 on: January 29, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »

Jack Russell ........ or take advantage of that lovely kicked up soil for 'potting on'.  My dog used to catch moles  :-*

Not many birds around again  :-\

daska86

« Reply #5347 on: January 29, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »

Anyone doing the garden Birdwatch this weekend? You can bet all the birds I've seen this week will go elsewhere for the weekend. 😞

jaypo

« Reply #5348 on: January 30, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »

Do you have feeders for them daska?
We never see the mole clkd,believe me,if we did,the chihuahua would get it,don't really want to kill it but every morning new hills,all over the lawn  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5349 on: January 30, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »

I'm surprised that the dogs don't go to point over the heaps. 

Lots of fluttering going on in our garden ........ that'll be my next job, filling up feeders :-)

jaypo

« Reply #5350 on: January 30, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »

My OH has made a big cover to fit over the top of the bird feeder,so far,the crows are stumped..........so far

CLKD

« Reply #5351 on: January 30, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »

;D. he's a good 'un  8)

Nope, not doing the birdwatch.  Did it for several years but couldn't understand the graphs when they were returned.  Meant not a lot!  Would have preferred to find out which birds were here/not in my area, not over the whole country. 

Fed ours again  8)

jaypo

« Reply #5352 on: January 30, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »

Ok,so that's not working either  >:( they are now jumping from the fence,we have plastic spikes on top but they only cover about 2 foot of fence,so,next job for OH is hammering in more spikes,I'll beat them yet  ;D
As for moles,apparently they don't like red peppers and it says to lay them at the entrance of their burrows but how do you find the entrance?

Taz2

« Reply #5353 on: January 30, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »

Not sure you have a hope in finding the entrance https://ypte.org.uk/factsheets/mole/mole-habits

I must admit I used to love the moles which lived in/under our school field. The mole-man used to come and find me to apologise before he set to work killing them off every few months! They are fascinating creatures although I can see that their hills are annoying. They are becoming forced out of their natural habitat due to more housing and development of the countryside apparently. I was sitting on a cliff top once when noticed the ground in front of me was moving a little. I sat and watched (took over an hour) waiting to see the claws and furry nose appear. Amazing how much earth it moved. There are some interesting facts about the mole here - especially the tradition of keeping dried moles hands and feet in a pouch worn around the neck. My dad used to deliver to a farmer who was still keeping to this tradition in 1965. https://www.britishmolecatchers.co.uk/about-moles/

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5354 on: January 30, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »

Moles are fascinating. My dog caught two orange ones  8).  Never in the heaps but in the gaps between ......... sometimes we could watch the mole working beneath.   8)

Problem with moles is that they eventually undermine the fields with the tunnels.  They are territorial and will fight.  Very solitary.   Very soft, almost blind with huge hands  8)
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 422