Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1107590 times)

jaypo

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4710 on: July 14, 2019, 07:47:15 AM »

Nah,they're not noisy ones,neighbours don't face this way so should be ok😊
Maybe the birds know something you don't clkd 😆

Hurdity

« Reply #4711 on: July 14, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »

Our village breeding house martin numbers are down this year. Last year we had 4 artificial nests ( two pairs) and our neighbour had one pair of two. All ours were occupied  and prduced babies but neither of hers. My husband moved hers to a better position, and this year she has one pair but we also only have one of the four nests occupied and there appear to be fewer birds (ie martins) wheeling around the village.

I wonder what happened to them over the winter or on migration :(

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4712 on: July 14, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »

The sudden hot spell in February upset the routines of many animals/birds apparently.  So maybe they didn't fly when they ought to have done, having been caught when the colder weather returned. 

We haven't had house martins for years.  Swifts above in recent evenings but not as many as I would expect. 

Young blackbird has stripped the red currants  >:(  ::) so Himself is cutting back and shredding bushes.  I have turned out the ponds of blanket and duck weed; found several more effluvia but no dragon flies today.  Put 3 nymphs back into the water :-).  Found the fish in the middle pond again, they were covered by weed  ::) - all fish feeding well.

Wren nagging - probably at a cat.  2 jackdaws nagging from the chimney.  Roses - too tall to cut but they look stunning  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #4713 on: July 18, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »

1 effluvia found this morning   -    a 2nd dragon fly is climbing from the pond  8) but it's raining  :-\.  It needs sunshine to warm through to enable it to fly.  We notice that they 'wee' after climbing out of the effluvia and B4 flying off.

CLKD

« Reply #4714 on: July 19, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

11 dragons thus far  :-* even in the drizzle.

CLKD

« Reply #4715 on: July 21, 2019, 11:17:51 AM »

Two more dragons this morning  :-*

Blackbirds round my feet for meal worms when I sit on the patio as well as a young robin.  Blackbird parents in attendance of yet another nest so they chase off the young ones.

CLKD

« Reply #4716 on: July 23, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »

Owl turns paddling pool into 'hoot' tub in Thixendale - cooling off

Brought a smile 2 my face  :-*

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4717 on: July 25, 2019, 10:48:21 PM »

Just found a frog (maybe toad ?) on my decking. In a damp patch from where I watered the pots.  I don't have a pond  ???
Nor do my neighbours.
Worried it will dry out before it finds a more suitable home.
Put a shallow dish with some stones and a bit of water in the bottom out for it.
I hope I did the right thing  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #4718 on: July 26, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »

You did fine pants. Frogs and toads don't need a pond to survive although frogs don't love to hang out in one if available. They live in flowerbeds and vegetation where they catch bugs. Toads walk. Frogs hop. Toads are more warty to look at. Newts live quite happily in gardens without a pond too. If you have a shallow dish of water in your flower beds this will help frogs, toads, insects and, very importantly, hedgehogs too who are finding it very difficult in the heat.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4719 on: July 26, 2019, 11:53:42 AM »

Morning! 

:medal: pants.  These critters like damp which keeps them cool as well as encouraging insects to congregate which means grub ;-). 

Our single tadpole was seen 2 days ago on a damp rock - 3 legs and a tail.  The dragonfly nymphs ate the others we think  :-\

When there's a change in the weather the frogs leave the water to sit around the edges of our ponds   .........   all 3 ponds require cleaning, a task not done for several years but the silt needs bucketing out and checking for nymphs.  I tried forgetmenots in the top pond but there are nearly all leave with little flower so they will be removed into a smaller tub. 

Haven't seen a toad for over 25 years.  Newts wouldn't stay  ::).  The frogs however come in a variety of colours and sizes.

4 more dragons out and flown :-).  No hedgehogs seen since end of April  :'( but everything else abounds.  Swifts above in the evenings.  Goldfinches on the sunflower hearts .....

CLKD

« Reply #4720 on: July 30, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »

2 crickets today: 1 a speckled bush cricket that emerged at speed from bedding plants when I watered them  ;D and the other, a soft pale green critter from the bin .......... young goldfinches on the feeders :-), a young robin and blackbirds at my feet when I step out.  No need to feed as often as they can get works in the garden today.

CLKD

« Reply #4721 on: August 02, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »

Another bush cricket ....... or it may be the 1 that I saw earlier in the week. 

At 8.30 a.m. I heard a rustling outside the bathroom window, leaned out to see a dark coloured wren rushing around  :-* - I've heard one in recent weeks but it's the first sighting since April. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:16:20 PM by CLKD »

jaypo

« Reply #4722 on: August 02, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »

Little muntjac deer in the garden,why won't it let me cuddle it 😢😆

CLKD

« Reply #4723 on: August 02, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »

I can sort that 4 U .......... with peas, roasties, onions, Yorkshire puds ;-)

They have savage canines  :o and will charge dogs ..........

jaypo

« Reply #4724 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »

But it was teeeeeeeeeny so cute,making a funny noise though,think it's mum was on other side of fence
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 422