Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1106589 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4050 on: May 27, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »

I found hair from my cocker in a couple of nests around the garden, that was Summer after she was pts in the Feb..    When Himself took the nests apart that Autumn he found it.

I thought that the green woodpeckers were ground feeders ......... magpies, jays, most of the corvids will eat eggs and young birds.

We have had several damsel flies emerge from the bottom pond :-)

Taz2

« Reply #4051 on: May 27, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »

The green woodpeckers are ground feeders as their main food is ants but the Greater Spotted is very partial to nestlings and can quickly get into nesting boxes if a metal plate isn't fitted around the hole.

Our bluetits have used the fur from my chinchilla persian cat which I put out for them. A very cheeky one actually landed on the seat where he was sleeping and proceeded to pull at his fur. Luckily he is a very docile and, some would say, dopey cat and he didn't react at all. The most he catches are moths and cockchafers which he brings in proudly - accompanied by much excited meowing.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4052 on: May 27, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »

Green woodpecker: RSPB web-site - ants, ants and more ants  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #4053 on: May 27, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »

... but what do Green Woodpeckers eat in the winter...?

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4054 on: May 27, 2018, 07:18:12 PM »

It doesn't say - do they go abroad?

From a UK Magazine: "Discover Wildlife"

If you are lucky enough to have green woodpeckers visiting your garden, then you will most likely have seen them on the lawn. This is because their diet consists mainly of ants – adult, larvae and eggs. They will eat other invertebrates, pine seeds and fruit, but usually only in the winter when ants become increasingly hard to find. "
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:20:40 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4055 on: May 28, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »

I think 1 of the male blackbirds is calling his young out of the nest, it's not the usual alarm 'there's a cat around' call  :)

Two families of blue tits off and on our patio after meal worms.  The 1st two are really tame in that they land at my feet, the other 1 sits further away.  If they see each other, there's feather-cuffs  ;D.    Robin on my shoe as I type.  Blackbirds around. Great tit also close by, he asks, I give.

Two hoots

« Reply #4056 on: May 28, 2018, 10:09:55 AM »

I think 1 of the male blackbirds is calling his young out of the nest, it's not the usual alarm 'there's a cat around' call  :)

Two families of blue tits off and on our patio after meal worms.  The 1st two are really tame in that they land at my feet, the other 1 sits further away.  If they see each other, there's feather-cuffs  ;D.    Robin on my shoe as I type.  Blackbirds around. Great tit also close by, he asks, I give.

They have you well trained  ;D

Cazikins

« Reply #4057 on: May 28, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »

I had the fright of my life last night.  :madeyes:

It was about 10 o'clock & we were watching TV, the back door was open to let the breeze in, fans were on in the lounge to let the air circulate. The dog dozing etc etc...

I heard some sort of noise, almost like a rustling but wasn't sure if it was coming from the telly, the fans or the snoozing dog. My hearing isn't so good since my ear op earlier this year so I decided to ignore it. But it started up again. I realised it was definitely coming from the back door so went out to investigate.

I didn't want to turn on the light as I knew that would attract all kinds of creepy crawlie flying critters.

There was something small moving by the back door (but inside the room) I thought it was some kind of frog/toad but it was making a scratching sound as it tried to climb over the door to get back to the outside world.

Then I could just make out its shape & colour. Black/brown  with pincers ahhhhhhhhh oh no it's a stag beetle. :o :o :o

Members from years gone by may remember my fear of these critters. They use to fly over my head & chase me down the lane to the pub around this time of the year.

Anyway hubby came to the rescue & managed to deposit the critter safely back out into the garden.
Needless to say the back door got firmly shut.

It's a wonder I didn't have nightmares last night.

Cazi xx

CLKD

« Reply #4058 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »

Have you stopped shaking yet, I thought that you were going to say 'hedgehog'.  We had a large male in the garden at 4.30 on our night cam..   :)

Birds still round my feet  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #4059 on: May 28, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »

Oh Cazikins - you must have been terrified. On the other hand I've got a woodpile in the garden purely to try to encourage them  ;D. They take five years to mature though so might have to wait a while. I'm so glad that it got put outside safely despite your fears - so many people don't do that but just stamp on them!

CLKD - the green woodpecker is an all year round resident. I will keep trying to find out what their winter diet is!  How did you know the hedgehog was male by the way - did you upend it to have a look?  ;D ;D

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4060 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »

Yaffle in our wild patch yesterday - flew out of a small apple tree where it was trying to peck a hole in a blue-tit nest box, which my husband had strengthened with an aluminium plate to stop them! Today watched same yaffle eating ants on our neighbour's lawn - watching him (or her!) for ages from upstairs window - such beautiful birds and I love their call :)

Hurdity x

Good move to fit the metal plate as the greater spotteds do love a tasty baby bluetit. Not sure about the Yaffles though. I know their main diet is ants but I've always wondered what they eat in the winter?

Taz x 😊

Hi there Taz - I've no idea why I said that - sometimes words just come out without thinking - especially as I was watching the bird eating ants on the lawn and I know the Greater Spotteds attack the nest boxes!! Because I startled it out of the same tree ( we have quite a few trees) with the nest box I just thought - ah yes - 'tis after the babes.  :-\ Brain's going....  ;D

Btw this is what I found top result on Google:

"If you are lucky enough to have green woodpeckers visiting your garden, then you will most likely have seen them on the lawn. This is because their diet consists mainly of ants – adult, larvae and eggs. They will eat other invertebrates, pine seeds and fruit, but usually only in the winter when ants become increasingly hard to find."

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/blog/6-green-woodpecker-facts-you-need-know

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #4061 on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:27 PM »

It was obvious Taz  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #4062 on: May 28, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »

I didn't read it properly. Not a good signal in the pub 🤣🤣🤣

Taz x

Two hoots

« Reply #4063 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »

I had the fright of my life last night.  :madeyes:

It was about 10 o'clock & we were watching TV, the back door was open to let the breeze in, fans were on in the lounge to let the air circulate. The dog dozing etc etc...

I heard some sort of noise, almost like a rustling but wasn't sure if it was coming from the telly, the fans or the snoozing dog. My hearing isn't so good since my ear op earlier this year so I decided to ignore it. But it started up again. I realised it was definitely coming from the back door so went out to investigate.

I didn't want to turn on the light as I knew that would attract all kinds of creepy crawlie flying critters.

There was something small moving by the back door (but inside the room) I thought it was some kind of frog/toad but it was making a scratching sound as it tried to climb over the door to get back to the outside world.

Then I could just make out its shape & colour. Black/brown  with pincers ahhhhhhhhh oh no it's a stag beetle. :o :o :o

Members from years gone by may remember my fear of these critters. They use to fly over my head & chase me down the lane to the pub around this time of the year.

Anyway hubby came to the rescue & managed to deposit the critter safely back out into the garden.
Needless to say the back door got firmly shut.

It's a wonder I didn't have nightmares last night.

Cazi xx

I think your hearing must be great, to hear a beetle in another room, there are only two beetles I'd hear in the house, one had Paul McCartney in it and the other is made by Volkswagen  :o

Taz2

« Reply #4064 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »

The scratching sounds are very loud from a stag beetle  :D

Did anyone see the Greater Spotted Woodpecker demolishing the tree creepers nest and flying off with the nestling?

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 422