Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1104212 times)

Daisydot

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4005 on: May 06, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »

It's was a very brave act 😂 I'm a chicken I'd have run and got someone or vacated that particular room till it was gone lol xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4006 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »

Did you take time to look at the hooks on the bees toes?  That's how they cling.  We have seen some really large ones this year.  Not many honey bees though  :-\.  3 wasps removed from the house yesterday.

Birds singing.  1 pond fish has been grabbed by something as it has two wounds on it's shoulders so need to buy some treatment.

CLKD

« Reply #4007 on: May 07, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »

Tnx for the Link.  Despite the reference to the RSPB I take what is written with a pinch of salt. [I wrote a great spiel which disappeared  >:(]

Buzzards don't hover. They are one of the laziest birds of prey preferring to take carcass meat. It takes too much engery to hover.   They will circle on thermals looking for dead meat, then drop onto the ground before hopping towards it, rather clumsily. 

Red-kites don't ......... they glide, pause in the air then swoop; nor do ospreys!  I watch the 3 regularly.

The only UK bird that truly hovers is a kestrel. Almost stationary for quite long periods of time: I saw one this morning and it dropped directly into the base of a hedge, probably saw a mouse  :o.   A king fisher will for very short periods B4 dropping into water.  If it requires wind to hover it is matching it's flying speed. 

The other bird that hovers is a humming bird .......  I would love those on our feeders.

Frogs out of the water, sign that the weather is about to change  >:(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:52:42 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4008 on: May 07, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »

BBC Autumn-watch has photos of various birds of prey and they state that kestrels hover.  It isn't mentioned with the other birds but I will ask Chris Packham or 1 of the others at BirdFair ;-)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4009 on: May 07, 2018, 06:27:39 PM »

So that's how they cling on then.!
Funny thing is whenever I've seen a bee on the curtains I've wondered
how they stay on, and yes it does look like they've got claws.
Thanx for that CLKD.
My god, you are informative.
Lend me your brain for a while will ya.?
Also the frog, is that true ,they leave the water when it's about to change?
Ie, why? Maybe not enough oxygen in there, or too much algea?

Jd x

CLKD

« Reply #4010 on: May 07, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »

Change of atmospheric conditions?  They also leave the pond at night to go hunting in our garden but I'm never awake early enough to see when they return to the water.

I was raised by Gamekeepers ;-) so have followed the guns since age 4.  Probably why I hate loud noises  :-\.  We were taught to walk, stop, listen.  Observe.  Listen and learn.    I'm OK with spiders once I know which way they are going to run, currently I have one large one lose in the camper van behind my chair  :o and in the car, one in the road map ........... lurking  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4011 on: May 07, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »

Spiders NO!
I once stayed at the bottom of the stairs, wouldn't go up, even though
I was dying to go to the loo, because there was a very large one on the ceiling
at top of stairs! Had to wait for about 1/2 hour until OH got home to remove it.
I couldn't take my eyes off it for worrying where it was going to go.
OH said bloody hell thats a bigun..even he was scared!
It was the longest 1/2 hour I've ever had! Lol

CLKD

« Reply #4012 on: May 07, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »

We had a huge one recently, filled a half-pint beer glass  :o.

Two hoots

« Reply #4013 on: May 08, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »

I'm terrified of spiders  :o years ago I was driving home alone when a spider walked across the steering wheel, I did an emergency stop and jumped out of the car, lucky it was a quiet road across the common, but I remember trying to see where it had gone and flicking a duster around to get it out  ::)

If I come across one at home I vacuum it up, if they can survive the experience please don't tell me, I'd rather believe it kills them  :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #4014 on: May 08, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

I'm not keen on them either, and like to know exactly where they are if smallish. Don't like the idea of even a small one running up my leg. The medium ones I grab with wet kitchen paper. If large I get the vacuum out. This is the spideriest house I have ever lived in, there were simply loads of those architrave spiders when I moved in, but I have reduced the population now.

Is anyone else old enough to remember outdoor loos? You'd sit there wondering what else you were sharing the space with.

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #4015 on: May 08, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

:rofl:  yep. My Granny 'went across the yard' until she died aged 82.  No indoor plumbing apart from the spring water from the pump was piped into the kitchen but she still had to boil the water on the range  ::). I hated it, had to take a torch and like you, wondered who was sharing the space  :o

I found a large dead bumble in our utility room this morning  :'(.  Not many honey bees, hopefully it was the cold spell that kept them closer to their hives  :-\

Daisydot

« Reply #4016 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »

Yep definately.we were brought up in tenements in Glasgow and 3 families shared a toilet on the landing,they usually put newspaper squares on a string for wiping but my mum was too posh for that and we used the paper bags that her shopping was wrapped in but if it was greaseproof paper! Lol well you don't need the details.  :rofl:i used to sit there with my eyes revolving in my head watching for the spiders petrified.I still detest them and I'm not the catch them and pop outside type,i splat every time sorry but I hate these huge English ones,we never got them big like that in Scotland it was too cold so they'd be lucky to survive a winter lol.x

Joaniepat

« Reply #4017 on: May 08, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

Daisydot, that sounds a bit like the Peabody Building I spent my first 5 years in, with the shared loo on the landing. Can't remember anything about the paper or wildlife though, but I expect it was the same. Your mum's greaseproof paper reminded me of the Civil Service loo paper we had at work well into the 1970s. It was completely non-absorbent. You'd see people trotting off to the loo with their own toilet roll in a carrier bag. Sorry, I've gone a bit off-topic  ::)
JP x

Daisydot

« Reply #4018 on: May 08, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »

😂 hilarious we used to get some big suckers in our toilets but not big like the English hairy ones yuk.🕷and these too in the closes 🐀 xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4019 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »

Yeah, we had a toilet in the back garden, a brick built one,
and connected to it was a Cole shed, dad kept his stuff in there, my Nan used
to use the toilet outside because she couldn't get up the stairs (she lived with us)
didn't bother her in the slightest, made of tough stuff see, I wouldn't go out there
Way too scared, and in the winter dad would put a paraffin heater in there for her.
 :rofl:

Jd x
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 422