Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1150202 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #3090 on: April 04, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »

The most I saw together was 7.

I've been forced inside twice since noon - started setting sweet pea seeds into trays but heavy drizzle appeared  >:( - no rain in the front of the house, lots on the patio where I was working  :cuss:

Kate50

« Reply #3091 on: April 07, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »

I go to a big park/nature reserve to walk the dogs most days. So far this year I have seen lots of deer many different water birds tree creepers woodpeckers 2 kinds.  A Jay which I dont think I had seen before huge hares with massive ears . Rabbits and squirrels of course and a lesser spotted homeless person who the dogs sniffed out from under the bushes!  Love spring though the arrival of birds and flowers.

CLKD

« Reply #3092 on: April 07, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »

Was the lesser spotted homeless person pleased to see the dogs ;-).  It's often an ice breaker and gives the person a chance to chat.

Saw what I think were house martins over a Lake today, binocs not good enough to get a very good view.

CLKD

« Reply #3093 on: April 07, 2016, 08:06:41 PM »

I have had the monthly e-mail from 'ark wildlife' where they run a photo competition - there are some lovely photos of goldfinches there!

Kate50

« Reply #3094 on: April 07, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »

Have you s link for that?
He wasn't happy they woke him up lickng his face and dirty paw prints all over his sleeping bag

CLKD

« Reply #3095 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »

That's a shame.  >sigh<

If you search 'ark wildlife'?

CLKD

« Reply #3096 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »

Yesterday morning as I drew the curtains around the house a male blackbird followed me from room to room
When I stepped outside to feed live meal worms there were 4/5 pairs waiting plus a robin
They didn't take long to hop around my feet for the meal worms ……… trying to grab as much in their beaks B4 flying off in different directions
Same again this morning but I'm almost out of worms, so have ordered double - one pair sit on the patio not far away making a soft chirring noise until I feed them  ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #3097 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »

I am so excited to have a robins nest right outside my window in very thick ivy.
Both parents busy feeding.
How many babies do they have?
Feeding them suet but should I get mealy worms?
First time for me!
PN x x

Taz2

« Reply #3098 on: April 11, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »

That's lovely purplenanny. I've never fed mealworms but I know others on here do. The important thing is that whatever you feed you have to make sure you put it out daily. They do tend to rely on it. They have up to six nestlings because they can lose quite a lot during the feeding and fledging process. They have two broods during the summer - sometimes three.  A bit more info here for you http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/r/robin/nesting.aspx

Keep us updated - if they feel the nest has been discovered they will abandon it.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3099 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »

How lovely.  Wild birds don't need feeding but by doing so we can ease any drops in numbers during bad Winters.  We had a red kite flying low over the patio earlier and Himself gave me a look which said 'don't even consider feeding that'  ;D

How about a camera-cam so that you can watch ?

purplenanny

« Reply #3100 on: April 11, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »

Thanks for the link Taz.
I feel they have not chosen wisely for their nest. I have had to chase a magpie off twice! I am constantly watching at the window...they are only a metre or so away from me
I feel so protective!
There is a covered feeder 2 feet from their nest which is where I put the suet. They sit on the bush in front watching me then grab Iit when I go indoors!
I do hope they fledge succesfully
PN x x

purplenanny

« Reply #3101 on: April 11, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

Sadly not able to set up a camera CLKD...would be ideal to see them fledge!
PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #3102 on: April 11, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »

You probably will do if you keep an eye out ;-).  We saw a wren feeding her singleton a few years ago and have seen robins and blackbirds in our garden after fledging.  Blue tits we hear 'cos they make such a racket, following the parents  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #3103 on: April 19, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »

So excited to see a treecreeper on a plum tree at the top of our garden (bottom of orchard) and my husband saw a pair and one went into his stone workshop so think they might be nesting. We were able to walk right up to it within about a metre and watch it!! Also back in winter I bought one of those cheap hanging wooden bird tables from Lidl for a fiver (you know those great promotions of stuff they're always doing in their random section?). So I put this in the back garden hanging from an apple tree in the hedge to try to attract more birds ( at the time not many were visiting the front main garden main feeders) and lo and behold today I saw two goldfinches!!! I know lots of you have these all the time but we've never had them on the feeders in the front so I'm well pleased :)

Also we have 17 flower spikes this year on the patch of early purple orchids at the top of our orchard - the most ever and they are spreading year by year ( my husband weeds out all the invasive plants to give them a chance)!! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3104 on: April 19, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »

:thankyou:  Huridity.  Earlier this week we were able to watch a greater spotted woodpecker for about 20 mins.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 423