Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 167562 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cycling
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »

14  :o

I remember Hubby and I cycled round Elan Valley many++ years ago; 3/4 the way round his pedal broke, then it began to rain heavily ......... we had to walk up hills and cruise down, I vowed never again I was SO cold.  The memory faded eventually so eventually we bought new bikes  ;D  - the furthest in recent years has been nearly 8 miles in one day !

bramble

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »

It's been raining solidly here all morning so no bike for me today unless it clears up prettty quick. Will have to wait until Monday for my next cycling fix - 45 miles to do next week according to my programme!
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »

My brother in law took part today in the 54 mile  London - Brighton bike ride.
He managed to finish ok, but he had been training since March for it.

Maybe if I keep my training up I'll be just about ready for next years  :o
How is your programme doing Bramble? Good weather forecast here in the south - must get out again this week  ;D ;D 

Rebecca 

bramble

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »

Hi Rebecca,
Just finished week 3 which was 30 miles over 3 days. This week is 45 miles over 3 days but think I may take 4. Still can't do the distance in the times they specify so am just putting the extra time in. ie 30-40 mins for 8-10 miles - takes me 50 mins to do 8 miles! Hey ho - onwards and onwards!
Don't think I could ever do 50+ miles in a day! Saddle sore or what! Do you know what his training schedule was?
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 08:38:31 AM »

Bramble - training schedule was 16 mile at the weekend round the park in Richmond.
He may be sadle sore - I'll check !!!!

Rebecca 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »

Well done Bramble!! :foryou:

rebecca

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »

Well Done Bramble

How is your weight doing ? My weight loss seems to slow down when I don't get out for a cycle. Did some gardening today but it seems to be the cycling which really shifts it for me. 
Be careful of the heat this week if you go cycling  :)

Rebecca   

bramble

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »

Rebecca,
Haven't weighed myself this week - will wait until Monday and that will be 4 weeks. Don't think I have lost any weight - jeans still feel tight! Not thinking about it though!
Have you got your new bike yet?
Am taking lots of water with me, even bought a new bottle rack for the bike so I will be fine. The cycle track I am using is half under trees and half in the open so it is not too bad but I will stop and drink regularly. Thanks for the advice.
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

I take delivery of my new Raleigh bike on Friday this week  :) :)

I have had quite a horrible and frustrating week so far so can't wait to get on my new bike and ride off into the sunset!!!!  ::)
Will update you when it arrives - I was told today that they have fitted one of those wireless mileometers so there is no stopping me now, when I get cheesed off about something I'll do something positive and jump on my bike rather then be tempted by a bar of chocolate!!!! I'll be the mad menopausal women on the footpath dressed in purple spandex  :rofl: :rofl:

Rebecca   

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »

Rebecca - you are nearly as much of a bike-anorak as me now!! ;D

I was in a charity shop today and found a couple of Cycling mags for 20p each and was THAT excited!! ::) ;D

I love your description of your bike computer by the way. ;)  I have a digital one and it's fab, only a few quid but worth it's weight in gold.  Takes all the guesswork out of distances.  Enjoy. :)

rebecca

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »

Pennyfarthing and Bramble

How about one of these :

Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 205, Garmin's GPS-enabled personal trainer and cycle computer. Whether you're a competitive racer or weekend cyclist, Edge will help you achieve your personal best.

Get the Data You Need
Rugged, lightweight Edge 205 attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike with the included bike mount. Just turn it on, acquire GPS satellites and go. Edge automatically measures your speed, distance, time, calories burned, and also records the route you have taken for review. For even more detailed data, get the Edge 305, which can track your heart rate, cadence, climb and descent.

Other Edge features:

Easy to install; no calibration required. Just snap it into the bike mount and go.
High-sensitivity GPS receiver tracks your position even in tree cover and canyons, making it extremely reliable for location, distance and speed information.
Virtual Partner® lets you race a virtual competitor over a specified distance and speed.
Courses let you race against a previously recorded workout, so you can compare your current and past performances over the same ride.
Auto Pause® pauses the timer when you slow down or stop and resumes when you speed up again, so you can focus on your ride.
Auto Lap® automatically starts a new lap each time you pass a specified location or travel a preset distance.

Got any Canyons in your area ?? :-\
Hope I have not upset anyone posting this info -I do hope I have not broken the  no commercial links rule Elizabeth ::)

Rebecca  :peace:

bramble

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »

Rebecca,
I have seen the cycling ones. I have a Garmin for when I was hillwalking. Used to come home, connect it up to my PC and map out exactly where I had been (most times we did trackless walks so this was really useful). Sad or what? When I first got my bike I used it to check the accuracy of the computer on my bike. I suppose I could use it now for my bike and download the data onto my PC but that seems a bit nerdish! Would save me writing it in a little book which I do now!!!!!
Next question fellow cyclists - what do you carry with you on a bike ride however short or long?
I carry:
mobile phone, water, biscuit, little book & pen, £10 (just in case I pass an ice-cream shop), fleece or waterprooof jacket.
First aid kit and more water in the car.
Bramble
PS. Lets all go on a virtual cycle run Friday night to christen Rebecca's new bike! Shall we?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:51 AM »

Got them!!  :-[ :-[

We have a couple of horses and DD and DH do a lot of endurance riding so he bought one as soon as they came out.  The price has dropped loads since.  He lends me it when I go on long walks too.  Marvellous things. 

rebecca

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »

Bramble - Got a call from the bike company today and they said that they can deliver my husbands raleigh bike tomorrow - but mine won't be ready until 11th August  :( :(  I am soooo disappointed  :o :o

Not sure what we are going to do now as hubby's new bike is bound to be much more 'superfast' than my clapped  out 17 year bike!!!! It will take ALL my effort tokeep up with him..

Would hate the thought of you doing that virtual cycle run in vain tomorrow !!!
Oh well ---- I'll go with the flow!

Rebecca

bramble

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »

Rebecca,
How disappointing for you - bet you feel gutted! Never mind, we will have our virtual cycle run in August!
Went for a cycle today along the canal path in the other direction from all the locks. Bowled along for 8 miles thinking this is ok (pride goeth etc etc), then turned for home - straight into a head wind!! My legs were like jelly when I got back to the car - came home and promptly fell asleep for an hour! Only 11 more miles to do this week so having tomorrow off although I have to admit this cycling caper is becoming addictive!
Just ordered a pair of padded knickers. Have you got a pair and if so, are they helpful?
Bramble
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 82