Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bike saddle  (Read 2082 times)

Florrie2

Bike saddle
« on: July 31, 2022, 04:30:03 PM »

I wasn’t sure where to post this - here or private lives or general forum.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good bike saddle that doesn’t aggravate vaginal dryness? I know there are ones with a cut out section but didn’t know how much they helped?

My dryness is under control to a certain extent but I still sit on a cut out piece of foam or sit slightly reclined when sitting for a long time. I want to get back into cycling. I’ve tried my current saddle and it is okay but I’d like another option.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bike saddle
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »

This vaguely rings a bell ........... see what I did there  ::)

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 06:34:18 PM »

I tried a Spongy Wonder bike seat that my husband bought for me. That was a few years ago now but I couldn’t get on with it.  Just mentioning it as it was expensive & came from Canada but in my opinion not worth it. I sold it on EBay eventually. Others may have tried it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:44:19 PM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »

2014 - There is a saddle called a Spongy Wonder which is a divided saddle that protects your bits and might save you having to wear shorts at all. You will find it on the internet.

Florrie2

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »

Oo, that looks a bit weird but I can see why it is supposed to help.

CKLD - not wearing shorts may raise a few eyebrows..  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 07:17:44 PM »

Not my idea  ;D but copied and pasted from an old thread  ;)

Minusminnie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 07:26:23 AM »

I want to get back into cycling. I’ve tried my current saddle and it is okay but I’d like another option.

I would advise riding on your current saddle with caution if it is pressing on the vulva area. I gave up my bike and my jeans/trousers both a bit hard to do at the time but there are alternatives to excercise and what to wear.  I now have a prolapse and even if i occasionally sit on a hard seat for too long i can go numb in the vulva area.
I think the Spongy Wonder is designed more for men who have a smaller pelvic area and i found that the saddle pushed you towards the handles more. Looking around on the internet last night there do seem to be wider seats now with cut outs at a reasonable price and which might be worth a try.  If i still had my spongy wonder i would let you have it to try but i eventually sold it. My bike was a bit of freedom with some excercise and i miss it.

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 07:38:25 AM »

For anyone interested in this topic, there are quite a few posts on the Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group. It seems there are special saddles for women which take the pressure off the affected areas, and these are used successfully. Worth joining.
JP x

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »

Not rode a bike for years because of VA but I would imagine tbe cut out seats works. I had a custom made office chair made with this style, cut out middle and raised cushion under the thighs and it worked perfect for years

Florrie2

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »

Thank you ladies.

I was looking to ride my bike again as an alternative exercise.

I’m unfortunately not on Facebook but maybe I’ll do some more online research.

I have a piece of foam with a cut out section for my office chair so I know how much these modifications can help. I’m starting a new job soon where I will have to go into the office a couple of days a week in a room full of men… but that’s a different story.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 09:13:46 PM »

My son bought me a spongy wonder seat, which he got sent over from Canada a couple of years ago. You sit on 2 small sort of cushions and your front bits don’t come into contact. It does take some getting used to. I didn’t feel safe at first, but stopped thinking about it after a while.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 11:20:51 AM »

How did U get on?

C.C.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 12:10:52 PM »

I've got a pair of bike shorts with the foam padding, think it's called a chamois(?) and it helps for a while. If I bike for too long, when I get off the bike it feels like I've just gone horseback riding. ;D

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »

Ouch  :o