Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: A List of Best Anti Inflammatory Foods.  (Read 1828 times)

Kathleen

A List of Best Anti Inflammatory Foods.
« on: June 09, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »

Hello ladies.

I have just come across a list of plant foods that were used in research to lower inflammation. The information comes from NutritionFacts.Org and relates to a study about anti oxidant diets and how  the same  foods also lowered inflammation in participants. Each person ate five medium sized portions a day.

I thought I would post about it as I know many of us struggle with inflammatory conditions and eating the best food possible may help.

High Total Antioxidant Capacity/Anti Inflammatory Foods:-

Fruit : - red berries, oranges, grapefruit, red plums, black grapes, pineapple.

Veg :- spinach, beet, Swiss chard, red bell pepper, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, rocket, radicchio, black olives, mushrooms, broad beans.

The researchers also identified foods that were beneficial but whose antioxidant /anti inflammatory response was lower.

Low Total Antioxidant Capacity /Anti inflammatory Foods:-

Fruit :- apple, pear, banana, white grape, melon.

Veg:- aubergine, leek, potatoes, courgettes, French beans, carrots, celery, lettuce, cucumber, radish, beans.

Hopefully this is helpful ladies.

Take care everyone.

K

hotmama

Re: A List of Best Anti Inflammatory Foods.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »

Thank you very much. I can't take turmeric which is apparently good for inflammation as it upsets my stomach so this list of foods to eat is useful.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »

Hello again ladies

Folklass - now there's a challenge lol.  Actually I have just been reading Dr Newson's article on histamine intolerance which was kindly posted by  another forum member, I think it was Bodidy but apologies if I've got that wrong.

On the thread I mentioned that many of the high histamine foods are also rich in vitamin C which I think helps to control histamine so I am a bit confused  atm.

I am interested  in the impact our diet has on our health and even though I don't have any allergies I  eat many of the high histamine foods on a daily basis and have done for a long time. I even like Sauerkraut so you would think if I had a problem with Histamine I would have noticed by now. Having said all that, Dr Newson 's articles says that histamine intolerance symptoms can be very similar to meno ones so the diet is definitely worth looking into.

Wishing you well.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:58:49 PM »

White wine is high in histamine and strongly enhances hayfever effects - I have had my worst reactions from food while drinking white wine.  :-X  ::)

I have read that too much omega 6 oil can be inflamatory - sometimes when you are trying to reduce saturated fats in your diet, you can end up making your omega3 to omega 6 balance worse.  Chicken and sunflower oil are nearly all omega 6.  Olive or rape seed oil is better. 

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Just to add to my confusion (not difficult these days) foods such as nuts which contribute to histamine intolerance also contain. L - glutamine which balances it out.  Surely most plants provide vitamin C or L - glutamine or possibly both.  Maybe for histamine problems the answer is to add a type of plant food at every meal?

Dahliagirl - yes Omega 6 has a pro inflammatory effect and Omega 3 an anti inflammatory effect. This is why I favour plant foods over animal products to keep my inflammation levels low and help stay in remission from Ulcerative Colitis. I keep oils to a minimum ad well.

Folklass - you and your lists! Don't encourage me lol!

Take care ladies.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »

Hello Folklass

Flatterer lol.

Take care.

K.