Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blepharitis and dry eye  (Read 3447 times)

Annie0710

Blepharitis and dry eye
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:12 AM »

I am really struggling with blepharitis and dry eye.  It gets so bad I develop corneal ulcers every few months, just come out of another one.  I use Blephaclean wipes each night before bed and try my best to keep my omega supplement going but still have symptoms daily.  Eye drops optician gave me really don't help.

Couple of days ago I ordered an electric heated eye mask specifically for this problem and it arrived yesterday.  Woke this morning with the daily gritty/light sensitive symptoms so plugged in my eye mask.  Immediate relief ! I haven't done the full 20mins, probably not even 10 but they feel so much more comfortable

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Blepharitis and dry eye
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:27:08 AM »

That's interesting.  Would a warm flannel do a similar job?  DH has this but it hasn't been troublesome for over 30 years since the GP noticed and prescribed cream.  He is very blonde ....... with a 'ginger' gene  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »

Hello Annie 0710

Back in the day I worked with a very blonde woman who had this condition. She had the gritty sensation plus the edges of her eyelids were red and sore. She was in her late forties so I wonder if it was a meno thing? She used eye drops daily and blamed her problems on sitting opposite a chain smoker in the office (remember the days when that was allowed?).

It's good that you have found a solution to the problem and I'm sure other sufferers will learn from you post.

Take care.

K.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »

I've been told to use an eye compress by the optician. I've been using drops up first as they aren't cheap. The one I've got you have to put in the microwave for a few seconds.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »

Ginger genes can cause problems  >:(  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »

Annie - have you been tested for Sjogrens Syndrome. This can give the symptoms you describe.

Taz x

Tc

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »

I  was recently  watching a you tube vid of a 104 year old lady who said her only issue was her "bad eyes" and that every morning she uses a hot flannel compress to "get them going".   

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »

Yep, boiled, cooled water held over the affected eye/s. 

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 06:16:23 AM »

Thank you ladies for your replies.  I'm sure it's a meno thing

Consultant said he will block tear ducts eventually when it gets too bad as what little tears I make drain too quick but no one diagnosed blepharitis,  it was the constant researching I did that led me to it with the symptoms.  The wipes do help but any warm compress will help unblock or stimulate the glands it's just a plug in heated mask suits me better

Wow Diane yours sounds so painful

Taz no I haven't been tested,  my eyes have taken a battering  during menopause, I still have the double vision too x

Tc

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:23 AM »

I hope the mask continues to work for you.
May I ask a question about drops please.? I use the ones my optician recommended for dry eye.

When I put the drops in they seem to sit on the surface and just roll out of my eyes. I've tried  blinking. Not blinking. Head at different angles.   I've laid down.  They just sit there then even after a couple minutes roll out the sides.   I dont notice much relief from them at all.  Any tips please?

Xx

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »

No tips really TC as that's what I do but do you wear lenses ? When I don't have lenses in dr prescribed viscous drops which are thicker so do settle on the eye better x

Tc

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »

Thanks annie. I dont wear lenses.  X

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 11:00:05 AM »

Maybe ask doc for them then ? The consistency would probably work better for you x

Tc

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »

Thank you I will.. 

I have early signs of fouks dystrophy which my mum has.  It's a condition of cornea.  So optician said important to keep eyes moist.  He said they looked a bit dry.  And they have felt dry since meno (I have the morning thing of feeling like they are stuck)

I've been using "soothe" (on and off) for a few months.  It stings quite a bit.  Doesnt bring any relief so no harm in trying something different.

Cheers.  Xxx

Tc

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »

Thanks for that Avalon.

Was it HRT which helped all the symptoms you mention? May I ask what you are on?
X
Pages: [1] 2