Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VA query  (Read 2048 times)

shoppingqueen

VA query
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »

Hello everyone
I'm just wondering if doctors will be happy to prescribe vaginal estrogen alongside HRT.
I'm currently on Femoston 2/10 with a top up of 1 pump of gel (under consultant with this) as not absorbing the tablet so well. I have trialled just gel and Utrogestan for one cycle but couldn't manage the Utrogestan so went back to the tablet and top up.
I've been having urinary issues- nighttime pees becoming disruptive and just recently a sense of urgency during the day where I've had a couple of times when I only just made it to the loo 😂 I've never had this before- been on HRT for 5-6 years and 51.
Any help would be fab xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA query
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »

Get thyself some vaginal atrophy treatment.  Do read the threads about VA and bladder issues on the forum.

I use 'ovestin' successfully.  Other ladies like 'vagifem'.   VA mimics urine infection-type symptoms, really, really well  >:(.  The idea is 2 weeks of night time use then follow the leaflet - though some do find that they need 'vagifem' nightly. 

Look at the 'yes' and 'sylc' threads too.  Once VA is under control treatment needs to be continued.  When my bladder is irritable I find 'nurofen' 3 times a day for 5 helps.

shoppingqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »

Thank you 🙏
I've always, cockily, skipped the VA threads with the oh thank goodness this doesn't apply to me! That?ll teach me  ;D
I?ll give the GP a ring next week. it's driving me mad as I am sleeping but this is getting in the way and I'm forever feeling pressure there. Just a bit taken aback by the taken short experience- never, ever had this. I'm usually like a camel!
Thank you so much I'm on the case xxx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »

every day is a learning curve - join the Club no one is aware of until ........ read "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" too, available on Amazon.

Don't drink less as the bladder will work harder, particularly at night. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »

I use systemic HRT and Vagifem.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »

I did have one youngish female GP try to tell me that VA would be controlled if using systemic HRT and she wanted to take me off of Vagifem at next review, i didn't go back to see her and chose a GP who listens, i have annual review with him tomorrow and has always been happy for me to continue with both.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »

I am another who needs both systemic HRT and local treatment. Many women need both. Be mindful of Tinkerbell's experience and don't let them tell you otherwise  ;)
JP x

shoppingqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »

Oh thanks everyone! Yes my friend was taken off the Vagifem when going on gel so was worrying about this. Just hope they?ll listen with these phone consultations we have right now. Fingers crossed but that's great news you lovely ladies are using both.
Thanks again and I?ll keep up with the fluid intake! Fab advice as always
Xx

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 04:35:03 PM »

Oh thanks everyone! Yes my friend was taken off the Vagifem when going on gel so was worrying about this. Just hope they?ll listen with these phone consultations we have right now. Fingers crossed but that's great news you lovely ladies are using both.
Thanks again and I?ll keep up with the fluid intake! Fab advice as always
Xx
I am on both Evorel conti patches and Vagifem. If I reduce the Vagifem (as I found myself doing without thinking after the patches started working) my night visits to the loo increase.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »

I use both. This was prescribed by menopause clinic. At my last appointment my GP queried it, he said they didn't like you to be on two kinds at once. I was extremely surprised by his response and I said I needed both which he did prescribe, thankfully.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »

Another GP that doesn't know about menopause treatments ?  >:(

shoppingqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »

Thank you!
I?ll have to hope I can get a sympathetic GP- otherwise, I have a private GP who looks after my under active thyroid and he would be willing fingers crossed 🤞 xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »

Maybe ring your Surgery and ask for treatment?  You don't need any examination nor blood tests! Is there a Practice Nurse?

shoppingqueen

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 07:32:01 PM »

That's a good idea CLKD
I could ask to speak to the nurse! I'm sure they have a nurse practitioner x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »

Hi Katejo,
are the Evorel conti patches available again now? If so, how long have you been on them?, how long did you use them until you felt better? and have you used/found if they would be better than gel and utrogestan?... I stopped that combo 3 weeks ago after being on it for 8 months due to side effects of bad stomach and soreness behind nipple and would love to try some conti patches. My meno clinic gynae Dr originally suggested FemSeven when I first saw him but they were out of production (until later this year??) so he gave me the gel and oral utrogestan.
Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2