Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An article that says symptoms can linger for a lifetime  (Read 2120 times)

KarineT

An article that says symptoms can linger for a lifetime
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »

Hello,

This is another article I found on the Interet and I don't know what to think, especially when it mentions that symptoms can linger for a lifetime.

Maybe, when it says that it refers to symptoms that can crop up in postmenopause such as osteoporosis and heart disease but not those symptoms caused by perimenopause and menopause.  What's your view?

https://www.iowaclinic.com/obstetrics-gynecology/life-after-menopause-how-to-live-with-the-effects-of-low-estrogen/

Dierdre

Re: An article that says symptoms can linger for a lifetime
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »

I think the Iowa clinic paint a very gloomy picture of postmenopause and its a very good advert for their clinic.

Many women still suffer symptoms after postmenopause its true, this is why we have HRT, usally available from our doctors. Atrophy is for life we know but can be managed with local oestrogen.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »

The symptoms associated with lowered oestrogen such as hot flushes, fatigue, vaginal atrophy and urinary symptoms will, in my opinion, linger for a lifetime in many women which is why HRT is often now prescribed for as long as we feel we need it.

The other symptoms such as mood swings and irritability often do get better once the hormonal fluctuations of peri are behind us. Symptoms can worsen for the first two years after the last menstrual period in some women before lessening. I have a good friend in her late seventies who is still experiencing dreadful hot sweats throughout each day and night 25 years after they began. She was determined to 'ride it out' without HRT but now wishes she hadn't. Every person's menopause is different.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »

This is America!  They do things differently as many are on Insurance Policies. 

Some symptoms may linger.  But that's true of other conditions too, i.e. Osteo Arthritis.  Osteoporosis can be staved off by good diet, plenty of dairy, good exercise regime.

What's your main worry Karine T? What R U searching 4?

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »

My main worry is the psychological side of things and I do hope that low mood and anxiety won"t last for the rest of my life. I am not worried about the physical side of
things at the moment.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »

This article states what we already know.  The good news is menopause is being openly discussed more frequently and with that comes  pharma companies starting to 'jump on the bandwagon'.  We are starting to see ads on the teletubby about treatments. 

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

The symptoms associated with lowered oestrogen such as hot flushes, fatigue, vaginal atrophy and urinary symptoms will, in my opinion, linger for a lifetime in many women which is why HRT is often now prescribed for as long as we feel we need it.

Taz x

I'm 7 years post meno and I don't have any of these symptoms .  Perhaps I'm just lucky but I don't think so.

I did some research once and the percentage of women who actually take HRT is quite small, so perhaps those that continue with symptoms is fairly low too??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »

Psychological issues can be treated, regardless of what might be causing them. 

Although many find that they have depression, anxiety or are more aware of stress during The Change.  But, there is treatment available for depression, anxiety ......... some ladies find that they need HRT as well as appropriate mental health assistance.

Sooze

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »

For me post meno was a very scary depressing place. 

I went on Femosten at the tail end of peri for flushes and panic attacks (never previously suffered with any kind of panic attack) and came off after 18m due to anxiety and suicidal tendencies caused by the progesterone.

Had 4 yrs without HRT (by now post meno) and it was a thoroughly miserable time.  My joints and muscles were so painful I couldn't put a pair of tights on in the morning, overnight I was having flushes every one to two hours so not sleeping.  I couldn't wear anything warm in the winter and got rid of all my jumpers.  And I thought that was the end of my sex life - this was the biggest issue to be honest.

Now I have none of those problems thanks to the ?right HRT?  Mentally & physically I feel brilliant and libido.........well I'm very happy.

I've experienced 4yrs without and I don't want to go back there ny time soon. 

Some women say they don't get these symptoms and some women can deal with them without them impacting their lives.  For me HRT has been life changing and I'm very greatfull for that.

HTH,
S

KarineT

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »

Sooze,  what progesterone gave you Suicidal thoughts? Which one are you taking now?

Sooze

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 06:30:07 AM »

KarineT,

Dydrogesterone, I also had the same reaction to Levonorgestrel when I was on the OCP in my 20's.  With both the side effect took around 18m to build up - slow and subtle before I realised things were wrong.  However this stopped within days of ceasing taking them.

I'm now on Utrogestan 100mg vaginally on alternate days, under the guidance of my gynaecologist and no problems.

HTH,
S

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »

Taz x

I'm 7 years post meno and I don't have any of these symptoms .  Perhaps I'm just lucky but I don't think so.

I did some research once and the percentage of women who actually take HRT is quite small, so perhaps those that continue with symptoms is fairly low too??

That's interesting. How soon after becoming post Meno did your symptoms ease? It's really encouraging to others that the peri symptoms can disappear again once menopause is reached.

Taz x  :)

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »

Taz x

That's interesting. How soon after becoming post Meno did your symptoms ease? It's really encouraging to others that the peri symptoms can disappear again once menopause is reached.

Taz x  :)

I would say more or less straight away.  I had a very long peri, probably well over a decade, and the last two years were awful.  The flushes and night sweats gradually decreased in the first few months.  I used to have wee leaks and the occasional infection but that stopped.  Joint pain is much improved and if it does happen I can usually pin point it to something I've done.  The 'crushing fatigue' episodes stopped too. All in all I mostly feel pretty good.

I wonder if it's because I had a bad peri.  Perhaps people who have no symptoms until there last period fare worse.  Who knows??

KarineT

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »

So it could be that if someone has symptoms during perimenopause thing might get better in menopause?   I've not had a period since January so if it continues like this until January next year, I will have officially reached the menopause.  So until this does happen, I've heard of some ladies whose periods returned even after 15 months, does that still make me perimonausal?

KarineT

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »

*perimenopausal
Pages: [1] 2