Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan, can I take vaginally?  (Read 5207 times)

amberlouwho

Utrogestan, can I take vaginally?
« on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »

Hello all. I need advice about taking Utrogestan.
My Back story May help with advice...

45 year old who was told by GP after a blood test, that I'm going through early menopause. This was no surprise to me.
I was recently prescribed Sandrena gel 1mg and Utrogestan; the latter to be taken orally.
I've been using the Sandrena gel daily for a few weeks now but I'm very reluctant to take the progesterone tablet (GP Stated take 2 capsules on first two weeks of cycle then none for the last 2 weeks).
I realise that I must take Utrogestan to prevent cervical wall changes / possibility of cancer.
I thought I'd give just the oestrogen a go for a month to see what If any differences I noticed. So far, sore and firmer breasts and a noticeable increase in size. Don't particularly like having larger breasts but this is a secondary concern over the mental ill health I've been experiencing for a number of years. I have an anxiety disorder which is severely exacerbated during the two weeks after ovulation (that's if I get an ovulation in a month... periods are erratic). The two weeks after ovulation are hell. Suicide ideation, negative thoughts, anxiety and depression and unable to function (literally bed-ridden for around two weeks after ovulation).
So I believe I'm sensitive to progesterone.
Perhaps intolerant of my own progesterone even.
The idea of having to take progesterone orally therefore is not one I relish. I am dreading taking it.
I asked my GP if I could take the progesterone vaginally to try to avoid or lessen the systemic effects on my cognition and mood. She wasn't sure, went off to ask somebody and returned my call saying no! Only women who are trying to increase their fertility take progesterone by inserting into the vagina.
The pills are round capsules, can I take the capsules by inserting them
Into my vagina and would it have to be for a full two weeks? Would the capsules dissolve? How would I do this process?
The oestrogen seems to going OK, but as said, I am dreading taking progesterone orally so looking for advice as to alternatives.

Thank you in advance  :)

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan, can I take vaginally?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »

It isn't licensed in the UK to be taken vaginally though it is in Europe. Many people on here use it this way including me. As your gp says the same thing is licensed fir ivf vaginally. Push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed. The licenced dose on a sequi regime is 200mg for 12 days. Some people who are intolerant use less but this should be with the agreement of your gp or you need scans to ensure your lining isn't building up. It can be difficult in peri, I get fatigue on it which is tolerable during the non ovulating months and noticeably worse when I'm producing progesterone too.

amberlouwho

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »

Thanks for your reply; appreciate it.
Just insert with fingers as high as possible... OK! Imagine a fair bit of gunk the following morning but whatever.

I guess I should try the progesterone orally to begin with. And see the results; it's just I know I'm at my worst when my own progesterone spikes  :-\

I'm still getting the odd period. So, erm, do I start the progesterone at the start of a cycle when I bleed ? When my own progesterone is low?

I am scared of another month trying to fight off suicidal thoughts and doom and gloom.

Wonder if I can get away with 100 mg?

OK thank you for replying.
it's all a game of trial and error and phone calls to my GP. I don't think she?ll be in agreement about taking the progesterone any other amount or way than what she's said.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »

She won't be watching  ;). The start of your bleed is day 1 then you take it from days 15-26. The idea is that it works with your own cycle. If you have insufficient progesterone and your lining builds up you are at greater risk of cancer so it's really important you either take the standard dose or arrange your own scans perhaps at 6 and 18 months to check. If it was me I'd take 200mg vaginally and see how it goes. This way you get more close to where it's needed and have fewer side effects. You may find you're perfectly alright, if you're not you can take a view on reducing days or amount then.

amberlouwho

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

That all makes complete sense; thank you so much for your replies.

I?ll do that.  :)