Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mood swings during Perimenopause  (Read 1223 times)

Tootsie78

Mood swings during Perimenopause
« on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »

Hi,
Just wondered about people's experiences with mood swings. As detailed in my newbie post I'm still getting over the ?virus? and a million times better than I was but my stress/anxiety seems to remain heightened.
The weird thing is that the mood literally could be just the shortest feeling of doom/worry/paranoia/anxiety symptoms (sudden high heart-rate Etc) and only last a couple of hours or so and then I could suddenly find joy in something and be feeling well, happy and on-form again.
Usually I'd expect to feel a bit low for a few days etc. and then bounce back, but the speed of transition between happy/low is exhausting and doesn't make sense  . I'd be keen to know if this is a perimenopause symptom experienced by others or whether it might be something else. :-)
Thank you!!  :) :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mood swings during Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »

Yep.  I have ups and downs.  Something or someone can upset me  >:(  :-\

How were your moods during your menstruating years?

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »

Footsie 73, I am having ups and down as well.  Last week was worst but today I felt particularly lonely.  I believe this is hormonal because I used to feel like this every month around my periods.  The low mood and anxiety are the worst.  On most days I feel like this.  Hopefully, once the menopause is over, it will pass.  I am currently taking Bach flowers to lift the mood but they take a while to work so I have to wait and see.  Have you just started perimenopause?  I believe mine started in 2016 but I've had mood swings since last summer.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »

Hello Tootsie78.

Yes these sound pretty standard to me and they are mentioned in my trusty meno book.

During my menopause I have had both the 'quickie' mood swings where my feelings can change in an instant and the other kind where a particular mood lingers for hours or all day. I have concluded that hormonal mood swings come in many shapes and sizes. Oh the joys eh!

I hope this helps and you are certainly not alone in finding it all exhausting.

Take care.

K.

KarineT

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »

Sometimes it feels like being in a semi-permanent state of low mood.  Because the mood lifts I would say it's menopause blues and not depression.  Depression is a different thing.  I think this low mood issue is because a drop in oestrogen affects the serotonin level in the brain.  I really don't know if there are some ladies out there whose menopause doesn't cause low mood.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I think there is a list somewhere on the forum which identifies all the possible menopausal symptoms. It is quite formidable but l understand that very few women get them all!

Take care ladies.

K.

Tootsie78

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:09:49 AM »

Thanks all, very reassuring.  :) KarineT - definitely feeling the loneliness! It feels like you aren't yourself and that because no-one knows how you?re feeling (and it's difficult to describe), it makes you feel even more alone.
I'm early Peri I think as only 42, but to be honest my cycles have got shorter this last year or two. I'm not on the pill and haven't been for 8 years, I used to take the pop which worked much better for me than the combined which gave me horrid headaches - suspect I'm quite sensitive to hormone fluctuations which I guess is why I'm all over the place these days.....

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:33:15 PM »

Tootsie, I know how you feel.  Sometimes I also feel spaced out but the low mood and anxiety arei the worst for me.  When I started getting dizzy , low and anxious I really thought that I had a neurological problem like MS.  I was at a complete loss. I'm 49 and I will be 50 in October. I really hope this nightmare will end soon.
Take care.